It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You want a job? Then stick it out lazy #@%!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Let me start off by saying that I had a really good job about two years ago. I was an assistant manager at a retail store, full benefits, 15 min drive to work, great hours and plenty of spending money on top of paying 80% of mine and my wife's bills. Due to improper management and poor budgeting at that store, I and a few other managers lost our jobs.

I was unemployed for a year and a half trying to find work at even half the pay that I was accustomed to living at and that my bills required. I knew where to get work, but I also knew that within months it would lead to bankruptcy.

Well, unemployment ran out, and after hundreds and hudreds of failed applications and many promising yet failed interviews, I was forced to take the general labor route for work. Unpredictable hours, twice the drive and fuel consumption per week, limited benefits and really, REALLY boring, monotonous work.

I have been employed at my company now for fourth months and I just got hired in after working through the temp agency for $8.50/hr. I am starting at $9.85 and yearly raises based on performance.

Here is where the rant part comes in, now that you know the background:

I have a six month old son, I am a full time college student, I have held a mid to high 600's credit score for the last seven years and I am now preparing to file bankruptcy, all while working full time. My life is not perfect, yet I see ten people a week come through the doors to our company as temp workers that can't even stick it out three days. We make wooden doors for high end homes for crying out loud, it is essentially a woodshop. You have machines to do the work for you, very little labor involved unless you are in assembly, and even then they have vaccum lifts that pick the doors up for you after they are done being put together. You have to stand in one place for eight hours (with some movement) and do the same job over and over and over. While this may seem monotonous and boring (and it is), you are getting paid for CAKE WORK!!!! Yet I see temps dropping like flies because they can't handle the job.

With the economy as bad as it is, and thousands of people fighting for any paying position they can get, wouldn't you think that work was important as long as it was something? Hell, even if you could stick it out for a few months and find a higher paying job, at least you are getting paid??!!

There are a few younger kids that come through the door, but most of the people I see are mid twenties to mid thirties, yet I am one of the three temps in the whole plant that actually stuck out the job to get hired into a full time position. THEY WANT PEOPLE; they also want you to show up and be on time without complaining, it's not that hard.

I am in financial hell, and everything I worked so hard for in the last ten years is about ready to go to hell in a hand basket for lack of a better term, yet I stick it out because I have responsibilities, a son that needs me, a wife that makes about as much as me because her hours were cut down to 3 days a week, so why the %&#( can't you stick it out like the rest of us?

I live in Michigan, MICHIGAN!!!, this is probably still the worst state for unemployment in the country, yet I see people walking out the door on an almost guaranteed job if they just hang in there until their 90 days are up. There are a ton of job postings on the board for full time positions, but no one to fill them becuase the lazy @** temps are TOO GOOD for this kind of work. How do you think I feel? My life is getting flushed down the toilet and I am still there, every day, on time without a word to say about it. My truck is up for sale and will probably be repossessed by the end of the month if it doesn't sell, do you see me complaining about standing all day, or getting dirty, or getting a splinter?

I suck it up like a man and do what I can for my family, so to hell with anyone who has the nerve to complain that they aren't employed when they pass up opportunities because they think the job is beneath them. Jobs like this may not pay all of my bills, but they are the kind of jobs that founded this country as a leader in industry, so don't knock the quality, skill and patience of the people that are full time or long term employees in the general labor market.

I didn't want to end up there because I knew what it would do to me financially, but I did it anyway because I'm not going to live off of welfare and other people's dime because I can't humble myself to do some dirty work.

Get a job and stop complaining about it.

King
edit on 16-8-2011 by Kingalbrect79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
So, your life sucks and now you want to yell at people who are having a hard time getting a job?

Well played sir..

It's hard out there for a lot of people, not just you.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Kingalbrect79

I'm a field based IT/Telecoms engineer, I drove 732 miles last week working five days and stopped for lunch on only two occasions last week. I owe nearly as much as I earn, I'm trying to support a household, relationship, a broken family and my own sanity whilst at the same time trying to further my education and I've just decided to take on an apprentice for work shadowing.

That's not the half of it, life is hard....

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Temps generally stick around till they get paid
because most of them are drug addicts.
I see it constantly.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Some places have little jobs, not even manufactures to employ people. (like where I live)
I don't understand why people quit, or how they even live and can feed themselves, especially jumping from job to job. We even see that here in a town with little jobs, people don't stick it out even though they have so little options.

It's no wonder why some business move overseas where the workers are grateful to bust their ### for small pay. Just know your not alone, a reward will come for all that hard work. Even if it's that you taught your kid to work hard an appreciate what they have.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron
reply to post by Kingalbrect79

I'm a field based IT/Telecoms engineer, I drove 732 miles last week working five days and stopped for lunch on only two occasions last week. I owe nearly as much as I earn, I'm trying to support a household, relationship, a broken family and my own sanity whilst at the same time trying to further my education and I've just decided to take on an apprentice for work shadowing.

Dont let the bastards get you down,arthur from the king of queens tv show quote.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
The one problem I had in getting a job was the employers playing the experience required card. How can you ever get experience if you can't get the job.

Anyway I myself had to suck it up and get on with the crappy jobs no one wanted, like warehouse work, fast food work and the like. But I kept trying and in the end got a decentish job which I can at least use as a platform for something better now.

So just keep trying, but remember, it looks good to your would be employer if your doing these jobs that are not so nice, because it shows you're willing to try and show that your worthy after doing these mundane jobs. And they will look apon you as a serious candidate.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by brindle
Dont let the bastards get you down,arthur from the king of queens tv show quote.

Oh don't worry, I never will. In fact I like the challenge at times, I just realise that life is particularly hard for most people at the minute and it shouldn't be that way, but as you say; keep cracking on

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I respect your work ethic. I would suggest moving south. Texas is hiring like crazy. Considering your work ethic you would do fantastic around here. I'm in Oklahoma. You need to get far away from Michigan. Where I work we get dead beats that last a week because they are to damn lazy to do a simple job.

I got shocked like hell today so forgive my fractional sentences... ehhhh..........

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I'm unemployed as well right now, heh, and I even live in Texas. I'm trying to get my license back so I can go further, but in my immediate area, no one is hiring. So, you know what I did? Went out, chatted quite well with some of the storeowners, and now? Yes, a flood of under-the-table work has hit me. AND IT'S ALL EASY AS SIN
for decent money. They may not be hiring for their stores, but just today I did work for the owner of a small Catholic gift shop just putting blinds up and doing routine work in one of his rent houses.

I basically made around $40 an hour off that alone.

I'm going to have to paint, do some plumbing, and some other light work tomorrow. My "boss" was complaining that nobody my age (26) these days seems to know how to do even easy work like this, so he was impressed that I knocked the work out so efficiently. He even said that he tried to help another guy my age the same way, and that he claimed to know how to do these simple tasks and then froze up and didn't have a clue as to what he was doing.

A lot of people just don't have even a basic skill set.

Just my two cents.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
You are right people don't have basic skill sets or the skills they do have are tailored to a certain industry that is laying off more people than they are hiring. I am one of them. I am willing to learn but no one trains on the job anymore.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

This job I took a few years ago I was told I was overqualified. I needed that job. I took it and have worked my way up. I lost my benefits from the last job and still don't have health *etc benefits to this day. I've worked my way up to making a decent pay ...sigh.... You just have to stick with it and do your best. The economy is so screwed up atm. Its not getting any better. I'd point the finger at Obama and bush. Stop sending our jobs over seas damnit!

Edit to add: I can't stress how much empathy I feel for the op in regards to this economy. I was lucky to get this job and at little pay just a few years ago.
edit on 8/16/2011 by madmangunradio because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stovokor
So, your life sucks and now you want to yell at people who are having a hard time getting a job?

Well played sir..

It's hard out there for a lot of people, not just you.

I bashed you in another thread earlier because you do NOT READ the original posts. He wasn't bashing people that can't get work for crying out loud. He is saying that these people have a guaranteed job, yet they are turning it down by essentially quitting or not showing up for work. How is that yelling at people who have a hard time getting a job? This is the first time I have said this to anyone, but you are a troll.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Stovokor

You obvioulsy didn't get the point. I am not complaining about my life, I merely put my life in as a context for what I'm seeing and hearing where I work. Everyone's life is difficult, but I am sick of having to listen to people complain about not working, or not being able to find work when there are perfectly capable jobs available and all they have to do is suck it up and take it.

Too many people think it's easier to live on welfare and my tax dollars and then complain about it because they are too full of themselves to take a job that they think is "beneath them."

This is the source of my anger and irritiation, not my own situation.

Maybe instead of attacking the first sentence you see, you should actually pay attention to the content and context of the message, you might be suprised what you'll find.

King

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
You see slavery is alive and well in Chamerica.

Worry not just live day to day and be thankful to the One True God, Jesus that you are fed, healthy, and live in a dry place; that can be anywhere.

Belongings can be overrated once you realize you can live without them and still find happiness.

May the Lord God bless you with a way to provide for you and yours and rest.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ACTS 2:38

I apreciate the centiment, sort of, but this thread isn't about me.

King

top topics

join