It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prosthetic billboard? Mercedes pays for teens hand in exchange for ad space on it.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
www.dailymail.co.uk...

Bizarre story of Mercedes car company paying for a 14 year old boys prosthetic hand. The top of the line prosthetic costs £35,000. The only catch is the hand has to have a Mercedes emblem proudly attached to it. I've seen companies pay for ads in odd places, but this has to be a first. This could lead to a whole new branch of advertising, charity ads!!! "This poor third world citizen is eating bowl of rice thanks to BrandX, see our great logo on the bowl." Then this message is relayed thru all the corporate owned media outlets, and they look like saints to the first world citizens who buy there products. On the other hand this may be a way for common folks to get top notch medical support who otherwise couldn't afford it. I have mixed feelings as I hate advertising since most of us are overwhelmed by it, but I'm sure this kid doesn't mind the logo as long as his quality of life is improved.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
why does this make me think of luke skywalker lol
i mean look at that hand! amazing
edit on 16-8-2011 by mesaana because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by wiandiii

Saw this on the news yesterday. I agree that having the brand name on a prosthetic maybe seen as distasteful to a number of people. However, I can't imagine his parents (or him) were bothered by it, when they probably wouldn't have been able to afford it otherwise.

If I was in their shoes, I wouldn't care either but thats my opinion.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Fantastic! I think this a great way for people to get the help they need...great post on the info

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

I think it is fair that if a company pays for humanitarian aid, that the company should be able to advertise it's involvement.

BTW the prosthetic hand is amazing!

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

As emblems go, I'd rather have Mercedes, than say, Tampax. So...his arm comes with a little gansta 'bling' ...he has an arm now.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Yeah some people pay money to advertise for Mercedes via necklaces with the emblem on them and so on. This kid gets a free luke skywalker hand out of the deal, I really don't see anything wrong with this situation. In fact, everything seems right (except the kid missing a hand of course)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I admit I thought it was a bit odd at first. After reading the article, though, and understanding the situation, I say sure.. why not. Seems everyone involved is happy so I don't see any problem.

top topics

join