Protection - Gun Alternatives?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik
reply to post by tangonine

Honestly your all over the place. Your not the baddest, then you are the baddest, then your gonna blow cars up and eat people.

Did you really type up a whole rant only to erase it and only then did you finished reading my post and decided to add another little snippet of a rant in a seperate post?

I was just saying that creeping up on a horny couple in a car is not hard. Why not just leave them alone? If these were criminals now they know that you have the habit of leaving your home when you see a car nearby and that you are armed.

So how hard is it for someone to think that you are some type of paranoid survivalist, you know the kind that keeps gold and silver in physical possesion just in case the economy crashes. You don't have to worry about me but the ones you snuck up on may be another story.

You said:

Oh, gee, I dunno. I'll start with don't walk out the door like an idiot?

I think that is exactly what you did but what do I know, right?

One way or the other, you won't be breaking into my house any time soon, will you

Don't drive onto my land and I won't sneak up on you. it's really pretty simple.
edit on 17-8-2011 by tangonine because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Yeah but it doesn't mean that others won't or couldn't.

Like others said if you show patterns then criminals will pick up on these. So someone drives on your land and you act the same way everytime then they know what you are going to do. Just something to think about.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by tangonine
You can ask the guy who was on our private road just last night fking his girlfriend in the back of his car. I won't go into the details but I expected a car load of mexican mafia, so I did a tactical approach with my M-14. End result: get off my lawn.

So, you're playing Eastwood's role in Gran Torino?

Out of curiosity, if you were expecting a "car load" of crime family gunslingers, why go out to them? Especially with a reach-out-and-touch-you weapon like an M14? Wouldn't you expect a second (backup) vehicle for that sort of op? I would. Mexican "mafia" sounds pretty specific too. Any particular reason you're expecting them?

Seems more and more like you knew what you were "tactically" approaching, and just wanted to feel like a big man scaring a couple of teenagers.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik

Yeah but it doesn't mean that others won't or couldn't.

Like others said if you show patterns then criminals will pick up on these. So someone drives on your land and you act the same way everytime then they know what you are going to do. Just something to think about.

Noted.

If you're being stalked by a gang, there is only so much you can do

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGod

Originally posted by tangonine
You can ask the guy who was on our private road just last night fking his girlfriend in the back of his car. I won't go into the details but I expected a car load of mexican mafia, so I did a tactical approach with my M-14. End result: get off my lawn.

So, you're playing Eastwood's role in Gran Torino?

Out of curiosity, if you were expecting a "car load" of crime family gunslingers, why go out to them? Especially with a reach-out-and-touch-you weapon like an M14? Wouldn't you expect a second (backup) vehicle for that sort of op? I would. Mexican "mafia" sounds pretty specific too. Any particular reason you're expecting them?

Seems more and more like you knew what you were "tactically" approaching, and just wanted to feel like a big man scaring a couple of teenagers.

You can armchair quarterback me all you like. I really don't give a fk. Carry on.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
No one really needs a gun. If Obama wins in 2012, I'm going to invest in guns and ammo, because the Republicans will go ape sh*t and think the government is going to steal their g g g g gguuuuunsssss.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Well I know you are looking for an alternative to a gun but what about using less lethal ammunition in a firearm? That way you can attempt to put down a threat with less lethal ammunition, and if that does not stop it then you can step up your game and quickly switch to lethal ammunition?

I would recommend a shotgun to you. BUT there are all kinds of less lethal ammunition that you can purchase to put down a threat. There are shotgun shells called "Beanbag" rounds that instead of projecting metal shoot out a soft cloth beanbag that hurts like crazy and will usually put a person on the ground.

en.wikipedia.org...

There are also rubber bullet shells that instead of metal balls shoot out rubber balls that usually do not penetrate the body.

en.wikipedia.org...:Fiocchi_rubber_buckshot.jpg

I would personally recommend a shotgun to you. It kicks but it will stop nearly ANY threat that is after you and your loved ones. A shotgun being pumped is the international sign of "You are not welcome". The fear of firearms is honestly what those in power want you to have. It is very difficult to keep authority over hundreds of millions of people and using a fear tactic works great. Keep the people scared of firearms that way when they see one they immediately think of authority.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Yeah, that's about the answer I expected. I really wouldn't be surprised to hear that if you were in the military, and it's possible you were, your training was that of an 88M or a 33W. Truck driver and computer tech, respectively. Otherwise you would know that the strength of those people we consider to be "badass", is in the team rather than the individual.

Good luck with your carload of hitmen though. You'll probably need it. Namaste, Brother.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeventhSeal
No one really needs a gun. If Obama wins in 2012, I'm going to invest in guns and ammo, because the Republicans will go ape sh*t and think the government is going to steal their g g g g gguuuuunsssss.

so you want a gun? or you don't want a gun? or you're just screaming about guns?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Yeah, that's about the answer I expected. I really wouldn't be surprised to hear that if you were in the military, and it's possible you were, your training was that of an 88M or a 33W. Truck driver and computer tech, respectively. Otherwise you would know that the strength of those people we consider to be "badass", is in the team rather than the individual.

Good luck with your carload of hitmen though. You'll probably need it. Namaste, Brother.

Actually I was an eight bravo. Your derision is not unexpected, hippie.

and you know what? who the fk are you? how many deployments are under your hat? How many days did you spend at some OP out in the middle of nowhere? How many times did you miss your anniversary or your kid's birthday?

Fk you.
edit on 17-8-2011 by tangonine because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

You want my numbers from when I was a 19D, or after I reclassed to 35L? Both? Should I add in the time I was with DoD as well?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

You want my numbers from when I was a 19D, or after I reclassed to 35L? Both? Should I add in the time I was with DoD as well?

I'm pretty sure I never asked your MOS and I don't care.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
let's un-tangonine this thread and get it back on topic. That is: What is a good personal defense alternative to a firearm.

I apologize to the community for letting this get out of hand. Let's get back on track.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I bought a gun today. A 12 gauge pump shotgun.

Despite having a gun, I still want to educate myself on a variety of ways to protect my home. Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions!

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   

You would be correct.The point I was making, since I have to spell it out, is that I'm not the ignorant civvie you're painting me as. Well, technically I am a civvie now, but you know what I mean. Spent a whole lot of time downrange. Think I spent two birthdays at home my entire career. I was lucky enough, however, that neither of my wives got pregnant until I was getting out.

And kudos on drawing this away from the meat of the topic we were discussing (which was, and I apologize to the rest about this, woefully off topic), and into an area where you feel you have the upper hand.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by thinkingthing

Despite having a gun, I still want to educate myself on a variety of ways to protect my home. Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions!

Good choice. I think someone said it already, but it bears repeating; make sure any time you fire it off, you know what's behind your target.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Also: Drill, drill, drill. Spend time loading in shells, and pumping them back out. Load and pump and load and pump. It will get the motions for those actions smoother and easier for you. Learn as much as you possibly can about it too. Break it down, clean it, inspect it, reassemble, repeat. Sounds like something nutcases do, but we can all benefit from thinking like paranoids now and then (it is ATS, after all).

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   

We have been putting off getting a gun for a while. Debating the issue. Neither of us have really ever handled a gun before. We know nothing about the subject and are quite intimidated by it. We do plan on getting one real soon, but have been so busy with moving, starting new jobs, registering kids in school, etc. I am afraid the SHTF scenario may go down before we get around to buying one and learning how to use it.

What are other effective ways of protecting ourselves and our belongings? Assuming a shelter in place situation. I plan on getting pepper spray and a good survival knife. What are some other things I should consider?

Also, what if I'm caught totally off guard? What are the best makeshift weapons and methods of protection, using common household items?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Instead of looking for alternatives, think in terms of what other human predators are likely to have and use to prey on your family (before and after SHTF). For that reason, and that alone, I can't see having anything other than some type of firearm.

As has been mentioned: Before buying anything, go with your husband/family and take a course on firearm safety. Take a class that will build your confidence in handling, using, storage, etc. of firearms. Once you can confidently handle a firearm, I suggest you try several different types to see what you're most comfortable with. Some people like handguns, others like rifles and shotguns....I say this because once you buy something you're going to want to practice with it as often as you can to add to hone your skills and build your confidence. After you've decided what you want to shoot (meaning rifle, sg, pistol), you can try different models and select the one you like the best.

My wife and I have the program down. She likes and practices with our pump-action shotgun and a small Glock .40 (model G27 specifically). I prefer the larger Glocks in .40 (G22/G23) and my AR platforms (.223) as well as my M1A (.308). My job is medium to LR perimeter defense and her's is CQB and internal sec. If one of us is taken out, the other still has the tools to survive (maybe).

Remember, the family that shoots together has interlocking fields of fire.

EDIT: Just read that you got a 12 SG - very good choice for self defense. Now go practice, practice, practice!
edit on 17-8-2011 by wills120 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

AWESOME! hit the range and put a few dozen rounds down range to get comfy.

I'm proud of you

Ya done good.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Also: Drill, drill, drill. Spend time loading in shells, and pumping them back out. Load and pump and load and pump. It will get the motions for those actions smoother and easier for you. Learn as much as you possibly can about it too. Break it down, clean it, inspect it, reassemble, repeat. Sounds like something nutcases do, but we can all benefit from thinking like paranoids now and then (it is ATS, after all).

and you're hating on me... it's the exact advice I'd have given.

I'll add that shotguns are not light. so if you're a small woman (my wife is 92lbs soaking wet holding a brick) you need to do what needs to be done to comfortably wield that bringer of death. Hit the weights.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join