It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protection - Gun Alternatives?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
The best defense is a good offense, and if you practice event scenarios until they become second nature, your chances of survival will increase 10 fold

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by anumohi

Awesome. This was the kind of stuff I was hoping for. I think it's a good idea to think of these things regardless. There are plenty of scenarios where people may find themselves without guns. They could be confiscated, stolen, or one could simply run out of ammo. I had a good list of ideas but didn't consider converting the fire extinguisher. That's a good one!

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by MyMindIsMyOwn

I bought a couple with some steel ammo a few months ago and forgot all about them. I need to start practising. Thanks for reminding me! They can be very effective indeed.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
Trust me, just get a gun. you will feel so much safer and prepared. Its a must. I started buying guns when i turned 21 a few years ago and i feel so much safer at home. the only way you will learn to use one is just buy one and go to the gun range.

Gun alternatives? i really dont see any alternatives if the criminal has one and you dont. Once the criminal has the drop on you he can rape/steal/kill or do whatever he wants to do. Bat/taser/peper spray/ vs criminal with a gun equels you lose.

Get a gun, learn to use it and you will feel so much safer and prepared.

You hit it right on. Being armed takes away a TON of stress. I got my concealed carry permit years ago. When I'm carrying, I don't ever worry. 5 guys with prison tats just walked by? whatever. Some dude in a hoodie just walked into Stop-N-Rob? whatever.

If I forget my carry I'm Mr. Paranoid. That rarely happens. At home, we have 2 german shepherds and 3 guns by the bed. We sleep very very soundly.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Remember this...You are obviously not a killer.
Those who come to your house with bad intents are.
And they will be armed...and more than one.
They will shoot before you do, because you will hesitate

You will be dead before they are hurt.

Make your place inaccessible, then maybe thy will skip your house and look for a easier target.

You dont want to be in a wild west situation, because / inexperienced as you are, you will lose for sure.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by thinkingthing
reply to post by anumohi

Awesome. This was the kind of stuff I was hoping for. I think it's a good idea to think of these things regardless. There are plenty of scenarios where people may find themselves without guns. They could be confiscated, stolen, or one could simply run out of ammo. I had a good list of ideas but didn't consider converting the fire extinguisher. That's a good one!

I will never run out of ammo

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by notsosunny
Remember this...You are obviously not a killer.
Those who come to your house with bad intents are.
And they will be armed...and more than one.
They will shoot before you do, because you will hesitate

You will be dead before they are hurt.

Make your place inaccessible, then maybe thy will skip your house and look for a easier target.

You dont want to be in a wild west situation, because / inexperienced as you are, you will lose for sure.

and that's why you train.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by tangonine

reply to post by anumohi

we will never run out of ammo eather. NEVER! Been dropping some coin lately with all this credit down grading going on.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
All in fighting by W E Fairbairn is a good read if you feel your unarmed combat is lacking.
He was one half of Fairbairn-Sykes the duo who perfected the fighting knife.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
First, download and read the free The Home Security Booklet put out by the national neighborhood watch organization. Force yourself to read every page and see whether it could apply to your home.

Putting the booklet into practice, although focused on burglaries, will make you less of a target for all criminals.

If you like dogs, by all means get one. Size doesn't matter. Criminals are afraid of being bitten and leaving blood evidence. You are 16 times less likely to be the victim of a crime if you have a dog at your home.

If you're interest in getting a gun, I'd begin by taking a concealed carry class in Texas.

-you can get complete training, depending on the class

-your license enables you to buy a handgun without the 5 day waiting period in Texas

-a number of other states will recognize your Texas concealed-carry permits, and you can carry in their states according to their laws when you travel there.

-many classes will let you shoot a variety of guns, before you qualify. (personally, I prefer a revolver. but that's another thread).

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

reply to post by anumohi

what if your assailants are hiding in the bush waiting for the opportunity to strike, or just flat out shot you when you walk out the door???whats all that ammo and guns going to do for you???

we all believe we will know what we will do in the event, but every scenarios different and truth be known no one really has that answer, as someone else suggested you need to have a security system in place that can monitor your perimeter and good heavy well made doors and windows that cannot be easily rammed down or pried open. here is a thread i wrote for just this type of sitchiasion

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I have concealed carry in Colorado. Here's the list of states with which we have reciprocity and those we don't:

ALABAMA YES
ALASKA YES
ARIZONA YES
ARKANSAS YES
CALIFORNIA NO
CONNECTICUT NO
DELAWARE YES
DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA NO
FLORIDA YES
GEORGIA YES
HAWAII NO
IDAHO YES
ILLINOIS NO
INDIANA YES
IOWA YES
KANSAS YES
KENTUCKY YES
LOUISIANA YES
MAINE NO
MARYLAND NO
MASSACHUSETTS NO
MICHIGAN YES
MINNESOTA NO
MISSISSIPPI YES
MISSOURI YES
MONTANA YES
NEBRASKA YES
NEVADA NO
NEW HAMPSHIRE YES
NEW JERSEY NO
NEW MEXICO YES
NEW YORK NO
NORTH CAROLINA YES
NORTH DAKOTA YES
OHIO NO
OKLAHOMA YES
OREGON NO
PENNSYLVANIA YES
RHODE ISLAND NO
SOUTH CAROLINA NO
SOUTH DAKOTA YES
TENNESSEE YES
TEXAS YES
UTAH YES
VERMONT* NO

*No permit required in State of Vermont to carry a concealed handgun.

VIRGINIA NO
WASHINGTON NO
WEST VIRGINIA NO
WISCONSIN NO
WYOMING YES

Needless to say I avoid the west coast and the NE of our country. Commie bastards.
edit on 16-8-2011 by tangonine because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by anumohi

reply to post by anumohi

what if your assailants are hiding in the bush waiting for the opportunity to strike, or just flat out shot you when you walk out the door???whats all that ammo and guns going to do for you???

we all believe we will know what we will do in the event, but every scenarios different and truth be known no one really has that answer, as someone else suggested you need to have a security system in place that can monitor your perimeter and good heavy well made doors and windows that cannot be easily rammed down or pried open. here is a thread i wrote for just this type of sitchiasion

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Oh, gee, I dunno. I'll start with don't walk out the door like an idiot? All that ammo is going to ensure that if you enter my home you'll be leaving feet first if you're lucky, but likely in pieces (12-gauge 00 buck makes a helluva mess).

I have a security system. I have ADT and 2 german shepherds. If you decide to break into my home you are the dumbest criminal that ever lived and your next stop will be the county coroner.

EDIT: And if you knock on my door after 8 PM I am armed and so is my wife. If you knock on my door after 11PM I'll be exiting the basement, coming around the back, and tactically engaging my front door with a shotgun aimed at your face.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Yep, a good ole Rambo-style pissing contest by page 3. Way below top secret, ATSers!

second line if an emoticon counts:

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft

Yep, a good ole Rambo-style pissing contest by page 3. Way below top secret, ATSers!

second line if an emoticon counts:

your contribution isn't really a contribution. Why did you even post, other than the "LOOK AT ME!" factor?

And there's not pissing contest, sir. I suggest you read the entire thread. You -can- read, yes?

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
If you absolutely cannot own a shotgun, then go for the knife, and a couple big scary ass dogs. Do that and you'll be just fine.

And be nice to your doggies
Let them sleep on the bed, give them bones and treats and don't feed them the cheap cancer-causing dog food. But that's another story

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
A few thoughts:

Regardless of what weapon you wind up buying (if any) I would strongly suggest taking some form of martial arts training. As well as learning self defence skills you will improve your level of physical and mental fitness, self confidence, situational awareness, have another common interest with your partner if you both do it, meet new people, etc.
I would suggest choosing a style that has a strong history as an actual combat system, rather than having been developed for "sport", "entertainment", or "fitness". Good choices would include things like Karate, Krav Maga, or Traditional (not Sport) Taekwondo.

Remember: if you employ a bat, knife, or gun against another person you are using "Lethal force". Expect to be treated accordingly by the authorities regardless of who is at fault. That's not to say that there are not times when it is necessary and justified, but the object of the exercise is to avoid that awful day when killing another human being is truly "the right thing" to do.

A side point on a previous post: There is no need to modify a fire extinguisher to make it useful as a weapon. Firing the contents of a "Dry Chemical" (Class ABC) extinguisher into the face of an attacker stands a very good chance of interfering with their breathing and vision long enough for you to make an escape, or more effectively bring other skills or weapons into the fight. When empty it becomes a crude impact weapon, And of course it can still be used to put out fires! I have 1 in the bedroom and near each door to the house.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
reply to post by neo96

I agree... your mind is the best weapon you have...

just now I was thinking about what I got in the back of my car to make a weapon out of...

I hunk of broken Bike chain and several 3 lb Cannon Ball Fishing Sinkers... Humm maybe a shoelace tied to one of those sinkers... or just brandish the chain... jut think things threw.... everything can be a weapon... but I'd have serious second thoughts about confronting an shotgun armed opponent if all I got is a sinker tied top a shoelace

agree Gun first and always.: but here's an inconspicous biker "trick": take "a big "master" padlock Like you would secure a motorcycle to a pole with; with thecorner of a bandanna tied through the shackle and stuffed in your back pocket makes a dandy and inconspicuous "attention getter"( flail).(whack! ouch...)

edit on 16-8-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Please don't listen to the idiots saying buy a laser pointer for personal protection. Dumbest thing I've ever heard. Good luck actually shining it in someones eyes if they're moving at all.

If you are actually worried go buy a shotgun and take a hunters education course or something. Shotguns are cheap as dirt. Hell go buy a used mossberg pump for $150. In a true SHTF scenario the only way you will survive is with a gun and a good head on your shoulders. I hate to say it but I think kro32 may have had a point. Perhaps you should worry more about joining up with someone else.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I own quite a few guns so of course my advice would be to purchase a gun and learn to use it. I've seen too many people get tased or pepper sprayed with the result being an even more angry and violent attacker.

My wife is very petite w/ extremely small hands. I bought an antique Colt 1903 "Pocket Pistol" and had it rebuilt and customized by my favorite gunsmith. It's only a 308 but it's intended as a very close quarters weapon and is loaded with a combination of hollow points and DRT ammo. (DRT ammo explodes into a fine particulate which will cause a fatal wound pretty much anywhere it hits due to massive blood loss and shock trauma). Hollow Points expand on impact and make a much bigger hole than a normal 308 would make.

It's not my favorite caliber of bullet but she can handle the recoil and the gun is small and light enough for her to carry concealed. She's been taught to use it up close and use it w/ deadly intent which is what counts. I'd rather she carry something than buy her a bigger gun she will get in the habit of leaving in a drawer or be afraid to use.

If you are stronger or have normal sized hands, look at the Browning Hi Power. It's arguably the finest pistol ever made.
edit on 16-8-2011 by ecoparity because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join