Protection - Gun Alternatives?

page: 11
10
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

log in

join

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by tangonine
 


Very rare for someone to check themselves like that. Kudos. Anyway, I'm glad you approve of my shotgun purchase. Having so many people preach the need for arms really lit a fire under my ass. I made my expert brother promise to come and teach me everything I need to know a lot sooner than he planned. He'll be here in a couple of weeks. Thanks for all your advice, man!




posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse
 


I really appreciate all your advice. Very prolific! I think I'm good to go as far as functional society goes. We're in a gated community in the hills, the crime here is literally non-existent. I have a home security system. I was more afraid in our previous home (we have recently moved) when my husband was a prosecutor. Let's just say he wasn't making many friends. But he has recently changed directions and will be focusing more on environmental law. I am relieved. But every now and then, I am sure he will piss somebody off. It frightens me.

My real fear is based on intuition. I feel change is around the corner. I do not know what to expect. I have little faith in mankind. I wish I were not so cynical. But alas, I am borderline misanthropic.

I have been compelled to prepare in a number of ways. My supplies are copious. I knew it was time to consider how I would protect the fruits of my labor.

I have small children. This is why I hesitated for so long at buying a gun. You hear so many horror stories. But ultimately, having children is why I decided to go for it. I want the best available protection for my children. Also, I am not some irresponsible dolt. There is zero chance of my kids getting their hands on my gun.



posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I've been thinking some more about what I suggested in my other post in this thread - that is to say, don't call 911, the cops, the county sheriff, etc. Stash the body where it won't be found, and have a place pre-selected (not on your own land, duh). Now I realise that you need to think about the bullets you've left in the body. If the body is found, ballistic studies could be done, and you just might get ID'd. What to do? You want to sleep well after shooting an intruder, right?? As I see it, you will need to do one, maybe two things. First, you need to dig the bullets out of the body IF you have not used a smoothbore (another often-overlooked advantage of shotguns). However, that runs you into a problem - blood. You'll have to burn your clothes, bleach the floor, etc. It's messy and nasty. That impels me to Step 2 - have (again, pre-selected) a spare barrel and firing pin for your autopistol. This is why my pistol of choice is a 0.45 Colt-type auto. With a minimum of tools (I can do it with a pencil or a nail), the barrel and firing pin can be swapped out, the "killer" parts can be dropped down a deep, dark hole, and the deed CAN NOT be pinned on you. The replacements need not be premium parts. Tell me what you think of that. Of course, this is advise only for SHTF situations, not "normal" times.

A note to the OP: Good choice! Now to consider extended magazines, etc. My advise is to become so familiar with your gauge that it becomes like an extension of your body. Know ALL the controls, trigger, fore-end, safety, and any others, such as those allowing you to empty the magazine by pumping the action. Ask the dealer what you need to buy in the way of spare parts. Good Luck!
edit on 18-8-2011 by Lazarus Short because: lah-de-dah



posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by thinkingthing
reply to post by tangonine
 


Very rare for someone to check themselves like that. Kudos. Anyway, I'm glad you approve of my shotgun purchase. Having so many people preach the need for arms really lit a fire under my ass. I made my expert brother promise to come and teach me everything I need to know a lot sooner than he planned. He'll be here in a couple of weeks. Thanks for all your advice, man!


Stay safe. As long as it's something you're comfortable with. And never forget that if you bought it for self defense, you plan to kill someone with it. A lot of people don't think about that.



posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lazarus Short
I've been thinking some more about what I suggested in my other post in this thread - that is to say, don't call 911, the cops, the county sheriff, etc. Stash the body where it won't be found, and have a place pre-selected (not on your own land, duh). Now I realise that you need to think about the bullets you've left in the body. If the body is found, ballistic studies could be done, and you just might get ID'd. What to do? You want to sleep well after shooting an intruder, right?? As I see it, you will need to do one, maybe two things. First, you need to dig the bullets out of the body IF you have not used a smoothbore (another often-overlooked advantage of shotguns). However, that runs you into a problem - blood. You'll have to burn your clothes, bleach the floor, etc. It's messy and nasty. That impels me to Step 2 - have (again, pre-selected) a spare barrel and firing pin for your autopistol. This is why my pistol of choice is a 0.45 Colt-type auto. With a minimum of tools (I can do it with a pencil or a nail), the barrel and firing pin can be swapped out, the "killer" parts can be dropped down a deep, dark hole, and the deed CAN NOT be pinned on you. The replacements need not be premium parts. Tell me what you think of that. Of course, this is advise only for SHTF situations, not "normal" times.



Yeah, um... don't be stashing bodies in the bushes. Know the law where you live and adhere to it. Defend yourself, but don't be some 300lb dude's girlfriend for 20-life for doing something stupid.



posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by tangonine
 


I agree that you should know local/state/federal laws, but further, you should know the local law enforcement ethos and mindset. Some will not have a problem with you shooting an intruder and then dragging them inside (as in my home town) and some will. You may think I am being stoopid, but be aware that if you don't have all your ducks in a row, you can get just as nailed as if you killed someone on purpose. Remember that I am setting forth SHTF ideas. People need to think the whole thing through, and buying the gun is just the beginning.

Bushes??? No, no, no - remember the two places back in Missouri that I kept in mind (but never needed to use)? They were old, abandoned cisterns. Dump in goblin's body, follow up with a few hundred pounds of sand/gravel/cement, and sleep well.

edit on 19-8-2011 by Lazarus Short because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lazarus Short
reply to post by tangonine
 


I agree that you should know local/state/federal laws, but further, you should know the local law enforcement ethos and mindset. Some will not have a problem with you shooting an intruder and then dragging them inside (as in my home town) and some will. You may think I am being stoopid, but be aware that if you don't have all your ducks in a row, you can get just as nailed as if you killed someone on purpose. Remember that I am setting forth SHTF ideas. People need to think the whole thing through, and buying the gun is just the beginning.



no, those are solid points. I'm not "friends" with the local sheriff's dept, but I have met most of them on various occasions through the years. I know enough to know that if I drop someone on my front porch and they're armed, I'm good.

I do live out in the country, in colorado, and it's pretty much the wild west out here. Self defense is an easy defense in El Paso county.

And if I ever had to hide a body, I have a family-owned 12,000 acre ranch and a backhoe. I'll bury you and your car 20 feet deep.
edit on 19-8-2011 by tangonine because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by anumohi
 


Really?
Im in MY Home.
I answer the door with a very sharp blade sheathed at my lower back.. every time.
legally. Cop or no cop.
Unless they fire the instant I open the door, or have guns drawn on me, A threatening individual standing 6 ft or less from me with a gun holstered or at their side could prove extremely bad for them.
Trained individuals will recognize.
6ft or less..knife wins.
12 ft or less...50/50



posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Lazarus Short
 



Are you serious?... Why would someone go through all that to create a crime where there is none? It's very simple... someone kicks in your door , you defend your family, you call 911... when the officers come you give them your basic info that's required for their investigation and you STFU! tell them you're not feeling very well and request a ride to the hospital , then you lawyer up.



posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by EyesWideShut
 


Things are not always so straightforward, nor do events always follow as you expect. Police DO NOT see things from your point of view, nor should you expect it. I'm just saying that it may be better to avoid the entire situation if you can. If you have to take a family member to a hospital with a wound, it may be unavoidable, however.



posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lazarus Short
reply to post by EyesWideShut
 


Things are not always so straightforward, nor do events always follow as you expect. Police DO NOT see things from your point of view, nor should you expect it. I'm just saying that it may be better to avoid the entire situation if you can. If you have to take a family member to a hospital with a wound, it may be unavoidable, however.



I really couldn't care less what the police think, I've got a STRONG Attorney ...that's what he gets paid for.
I operate within reality, and I give advice based on that... don't try to get other people jammed up following your own personal shtf plan. This isn't "how to dispose of a body 101" it's practical advice for law abiding citizens. I've dealt with grey areas before, but I'm not going to advise others on the internet to do the same. I'm done with this issue. You have the floor.
edit on 20-8-2011 by EyesWideShut because: .



posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by EyesWideShut
I'm done with this issue. You have the floor.


Yeah, I think I'm done too. 'Nuff said.



posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I spent the day at the shooting range. About 20 minutes in, I was hitting just about every clay target. I'm now very comfortable handling the gun. It was actually a lot of fun.

One thing though, my shoulder is bruised pretty badly. I imagine it will look worse tomorrow. Ouch.
edit on 21-8-2011 by thinkingthing because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by thinkingthing
 


Sorbothane.



posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by thinkingthing
reply to post by Skewed
 


I've got some ideas. I guess my real fear is trying to defend our home without a gun, against people with guns. Maybe I should look in to elaborate boobie-traps or something.


Kicking them in the balls might help, though it wouldn't always work. I think ju jitsu is a great, pacifistic alternative to the shooting range as well.



posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Ju jitsu is a great self defense martial art.
Gracie style Brazillian JJ is better.
I've Trained in various Martial Arts all my life.

However, you need to understand that expecting to use a hand-to-hand Martail Art technique or system against and armed enemy is a last ditch effort at best, and unless you are very proficient, you are prpbably gonna get hurt.
Reality isn't like TV.



posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by thinkingthing
 


Defending your home? Dont plan on staying INSIDE to defend it! That can only work for so long. You need a plan to GET OUT OF IT. They can wait outside until whenever...then set it on fire... with you in it...and shoot you and your family as you run out the doors...



posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by thinkingthing
 


Makeshift options..


Something slightly pointy(at least), for instance.. a screw driver, steak knife, pen,
or

Something hard. For instance, a lamp. curtain bar.. chair. Things like that.



posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by thinkingthing
 


You need to get a 12 gauge pump shotgun it is the most useful in many situation not only for protection but for getting food the different ammo's you get for it helps in many situations. They are cheap, ammo is cheap, and they are very easy to learn to use. Plus they are fun to shoot.It will only take a weekend to get the feel of it and trust me they will get any person's attention that is trying to harm you.Depends on were you live the ease of buying one, well is easy. Look around at hunting forums in your area you will find one cheep.



posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Hah!
I just had a silly thought:

how about a standard home alarm, set up to blast the loud " racking" sound of a pump shotgun instead of a screaming siren?

I guess then you'd have to clean the piddle up after the burglar leaves.




sorry, couldn't resist... time for more coffee.





new topics
top topics
 
10
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

log in

join