It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protection - Gun Alternatives?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I would purchase a shotgun for protection, something in 20ga should have sufficient stopping power and it's very easy to use.

A shotgun can be pointed in the general direction of your target and all you have to do is pump the fore-arm to load it.

Firearms are probably the best option for self-defense.

If you are still intimidated by firearms I'd look into Tasers and items that can be used in close quarters like a baseball bat, but neither is a very good option for defending your self against an assailent with a firearm, that's why your best bet would be to be equally armed.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I never really had the urge to pop someone in the head that had a chainsaw until now. One shot to the head as the chainsaw skimpers on the ground.

Anyway, since we are on the subject and my advice is free, if you plan to get into extended fire fights (over an hour) then skip on purchasing the AR15 style rifles. They have more parts for them than ever before and they are cute and everything (I admit I have one), but their gas tube and barrel will not hold up under extreme fire. You are much better off with the cheaper to purchase 7.62 x 39 Soviet style AK/SKS.

If your shooting is going to be at extended ranges (over 300 meters) forget the assault rifles and go with a good "huntin" rifle like the Remington 700 which is the base for the Army sniper rifle and zero in a good scope. You will be shooting quarter sized shot goups at 300 meters in no time at all. The barrel is a bit heavy which is what makes it so good. This is a .308 or 7.62 x 52 round.

The Russian sniper rifles are 7.62 x 54 and will also fire the NATO 7.62 x 52 round however the NATO rifle will not fire the Russian ammo because of the 2 mm difference in length. Just another one of those cases where NATO was born with its head up its ass while Russia has taken advantage of any possible contingency.

Now I hope I have inspired you to go out and shoot a target or two. It is really exciting to know that when push comes to shove, you are not going to become a victim if you have anything to say about it.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by GrOuNd_ZeRo

20g.? Has stopping power? Now I can see why Ron Paul wins polls on ATS. This place is for comics.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Wow, now that I have read a few comments on here, maybe I will just slip out the back... and pray that trained troops don't rain down on America. Because we are #ed if they do. Yea, get yourself a stun gun and a 20g. shotgun. Yea thats it. Now if you will excuse me. I have to water the gravel. Yea. and vote for Ron Paul because a senile Congressman that thinks gold coins is the future of America is all the rage now.

# we are #ed.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by thinkingthing

If an organised group of people are trying to access / take your house, and they have guns / assault rifles ... then you are virtually without hope.

Just being a realist here.

Your best bet in a SHTF scenario is having an escape plan - get out of the densely populated urban areas. Find someone remote, out bush, and wait the initial s*** storm out.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by whathasitcome2
reply to post by GrOuNd_ZeRo

20g.? Has stopping power? Now I can see why Ron Paul wins polls on ATS. This place is for comics.

Go volunteer to catch one in the chest & lemme know how it works out for you, a 20 Ga slug is moving around 1500 FPS and will hit you with a lil over a ton of energy (2200 ft/lbs)...lol Ignorance at it's best.
edit on 17-8-2011 by EyesWideShut because: .

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
You ask a very great question and one that deserves attention for someone who is concerned and turned to the internet community for help. If I may...a gun is a tool.....if you haven't used this tool..you are correct it is very intimidating. If you do buy one...you have to handle it...alot. Be very acquainted with it.....just like a tennis racket or a hair dryer, etc. so much so ...you could pick it up in the dark and know how to use it...and do so safely.
Remember...a hand gun is really the most accurate and effective at a close range. Some may think they will get a gun and be able to defend themselves from an intruder or a gang at a distance of a quarter or half of a football field. This is misleading. I think most would agree....that the handgun is used at 5-10 giant steps from the perpetrator. If I bad guy was running at you.....there will probably be a physical confrontation.....at that point...I have to say a hammer or a crow bar will also work. But there are just so many factors to consider.....literally tons of books written on the subject.
Dogs are great! the other thing I intend to do is set up a very VERY loud siren to go off as an alarm. Radio shack will sell motion sensors that work via infrared light...that will make an intruder stop...reconsider and know his plan has been thwarted and perhaps retreat if his intentions was just to break in and steal supplies, etc.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by whathasitcome2

Anyway, since we are on the subject and my advice is free, if you plan to get into extended fire fights (over an hour) then skip on purchasing the AR15 style rifles. They have more parts for them than ever before and they are cute and everything (I admit I have one), but their gas tube and barrel will not hold up under extreme fire. You are much better off with the cheaper to purchase 7.62 x 39 Soviet style AK/SKS.

I'd like to know where you get your info from, have you personally been in a firefight and had a rifle fail? Are you talking a Piston or DI AR? I mean, really who PLANS on getting in extended firefights...lol This isn't call of Duty or the military , you don't have a log train behind you or a squad of door kickers and pipe hitters.

If your shooting is going to be at extended ranges (over 300 meters) forget the assault rifles and go with a good "huntin" rifle like the Remington 700 which is the base for the Army sniper rifle and zero in a good scope. You will be shooting quarter sized shot goups at 300 meters in no time at all. The barrel is a bit heavy which is what makes it so good. This is a .308 or 7.62 x 52 round.

Really? I can make repeated hits on a man sized target with an AR @ 500 meters (All Marines Can) But the real question is why are we engaging hostiles @ 300 meters in the first place!?! (unless your living room is 300 meters long) We're talking about home defense here...also you make a lot of generalizations I've noticed , there are DOZENS of Remmy 700's and not many of them are sub .5 MOA rifles ,(Although the SPS TAC is, I own one & it's more capable than I am) which generic Army sniper rifle are you talking about? I'm assuming the M24 that was replaced by the KA SASS , which is based on the AR system that you said was no good...Hmmmm

The Russian sniper rifles are 7.62 x 54 and will also fire the NATO 7.62 x 52 round however the NATO rifle will not fire the Russian ammo because of the 2 mm difference in length. Just another one of those cases where NATO was born with its head up its ass while Russia has taken advantage of any possible contingency.

Again I'm wondering which generic "RUSSIAN" sniper rifle we're talking about? Are we talking 91/30? , SVD? , SV-98? I'm going to assume you meant the SV-98 since it's the only one available in both .308 & 7.62x54r ... It is available in 2 SEPERATE CHAMBERINGS i.e. you can't use either round in the opposite chambering. You also failed to mention the "r" in the 7.62x54r... It's significant because the "r" stands for "rimmed" not "Russian" , I'm thinking you'd probably have extraction and ejection problems putting a non rimmed cartridge in a rimmed rifle... I dunno , maybe you know something I don't. Oh yeah, WTH is a "NATO" rifle?...

Now I hope I have inspired you to go out and shoot a target or two. It is really exciting to know that when push comes to shove, you are not going to become a victim if you have anything to say about it.

I hope I've inspired you to do your research (or at least have some sort of life experience or frame of reference) before you give someone else advice on a subject in which you yourself are ignorant of.

Sharing Is Caring.

To the OP, I apologize for hijacking your thread and I congratulate you on your new shotgun purchase! Take it to the range and see what paterns well!

Something I can't stand is people who speak about firearms who CLEARLY got their information from either the internet or video games....you honestly look like a fool. Go ahead and get a few more stamps in your passport before you try to school others , Carry On.

Semper Fi
edit on 18-8-2011 by EyesWideShut because: 0

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by whathasitcome2

You are so ignorant its not even funny. Go back in your hole.
-> rotate90degrees = You

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
A water hose can work wonders. It quickly cooled off
a belligerent neighbor, who was trespassing and had been warned to leave.
Try the jet spray setting.

A marine airhorn could come in handy, and has dual purpose;
It will always get attention in case you need backup help, and can be
used as a scare tactic.
A hand held spotlight with high Lumens will help to throw some light
on the situation.
Something like this :
3335 Lumens Spotlight
Deterring them and getting them to flee would obviously
be wiser then engaging in any conflict.
Also a simple thing as a driveway alarm comes in handy. You can
put them anywhere, as in the backyard, back door etc.

edit on 18/8/11 by ToneDeaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Setting traps, if there is still law and order, will only open yourself up to lawsuits. And lets face it, this is how we got into this predicament where criminals have more rights than their victims. Hell a perpetrator would love to get injured in the commission of a crime ESPECIALLY from a set trap...hoowee a lawyer would have a field day with that.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by whathasitcome2

Please indicate how 7.62 x 52 NATO fired in a 7.62 x 54 chamber will not lead to excessive headspace and likely cartridge failure with injury to the shooter more likely than to the target.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
"Get a gun get a gun get a gun". All very well if you live in America, but what if like me you live in a country where guns are illegal? Then what? Curl up in a ball and die?

Even tasers are illegal here. Not that it stops the criminal element having guns.

When I was a kid we lived in South Africa for a few years, and my dad slept with a very sharp fishing knife under his pillow to protect us. He still has the knife but now it lives in the kitchen and is used for filleting fish because if he ever used it on an intruder he would end up in prison

The problem with things like baseball bats is that you need to have some element of surprise, and a pretty hefty swing. People can see a bat coming towards them and may grab it as it comes towards them then you are stuffed. And if you are little like me then your swing might not be too strong anyway.

Never underestimate the power of your teeth and nails in the event you are grabbed. Don't be afraid to bite down hard. Smallish knives are good for the element of surprise, you can keep it hidden then whoosh.

Of course anything I can think of I can't use, if someone broke in and I did anything more than breathe on him I'd find myself in jail while the poor intruder would be getting a cuppa and some counselling for his ordeal.

Welcome to life in the UK!

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Eirian

Elrian if you had heard recently the law has changed, If you are found in a court to have used 'reasonable force' against an intruder, you will not go to jail so stupidly as it used to be, The headline story for this was a guy who 2 guys broke into his house, he stabbed them both, one died, one was just injured, the home owner walked away.

Seems more reasonable to me, As long as your not curb stomping some guy like american history X, if its reasonable you shouldnt go down.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Eirian

I came across some great books while looking in to this matter. Here's one I'm really looking forward to reading.

The Brutal Art Of Ripping, Poking & Pressing Vital Targets

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by thinkingthing

Lol this reminds me of a time when i was quite abit younger and me and all my buddys were playing aound fighting each other, me and one of my buddys were having a little fight and it got abit intense, basically i had him on the ground and i was fish hooking him while he screamed out reaching for something to hit me with !

Eventually i let him go we both got up as if to proceed and as we both turned around i swung a good surprise punch straight to his stomach, he collapsed to the floor holding his stomach and let out a big 'wimper' we all laughed at him and after a few minutes he got up and laughed to, it was all good spirited.
What a great memory haha

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
If you want a no nonsense hand to hand system that is simple and acheivable then google AMOK.
AMOK is a system put together by Tom Sotis. I have trained with him and he is the real deal. This system is used to train the South African Military and police. It is primariily an edged weapon system so you will learn to use the knife you carry. The basic principles however translate to open hand just fine so you learn one you learn them both.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by tangonine

Man knock off the internet tough guy BS. It makes you sound like a little wimp.

true enough. I kinda lost my mind last night. Apologies all around.

Sometimes I go full retard. It's a failing.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by thinkingthing
I bought a gun today. A 12 gauge pump shotgun.

Despite having a gun, I still want to educate myself on a variety of ways to protect my home. Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions!

Not a bad choice, it is good for defending your home, but you have to remember to use caution with a shotgun, if a loved one is close to a criminal who broke into your home it is not a good idea to use your shotgun. Make sure your loved ones are well away from the line of sight of where an attacker is if you have a need to use it to defend yourself, or your home.
edit on 18-8-2011 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
BTW, since you asked for more advice, like other members have suggested adding distance, in time, or physical length to any possible attackers will help improve your chances, and your husband's chances of protecting both of you and your children, if you have any.

Having for example window bars, but make sure they have a safety lever or similar device to take them off from inside your home in case of a fire, having a home alarm of course, security cameras, a dog, puting a metal bar door inside, or outside your front and back doors, and even using either crossbar door locks like this www.americansteelonline.com... are great protection devices.

But if you can't spend a lot of money also puting things infront of every entry way, like chairs in front of your doors, etc will increase the time that a criminal will need to get inside your home, which will give you more of a chance to react to the criminal activity.

You also need to protect every entryway into your home, from garage doors, basement doors, to chimneys, if they are big enough for a man to squeeze through.

Another thing you need to think through is that many times even with these protection methods you may have a criminal who simply waits outside your home, or close to your car and waits for you to come into your home, or into your car to rob you, or worse. So make sure you have on you some sort of protection as well, such as pepper spray, stun guns, etc, and make sure you have them for example attached to your keys, because a criminal will not allow you to get your hands inside your purse becuase he/she knows you might have some form of weapon, or protection there, but since when you are going to your car, or you are trying to open your house you already have your keys out, having some protection attached to your keys will increase your ability to use that form of protection.

Also, whatever method of protection you want to use make sure that it is legal to use. in some states it is illegal to have pepper spray, or even a gun. Some states don't allow law abiding citizens have guns even with a concealed weapons permit, and if it is legal for you to have a gun make sure you get a concealed weapons permit if you intent on having it on you, and spend some time practicing how to use that weapon and if you are able to there are some training courses you can take where you will be shown how to use your gun well even under stress. IF you pay for any training courses make sure they train you on how to use your shotgun, or other gun under stress.

Also remember that if a criminal is pointing a gun at you it is not a good idea to use a stun gun, because the electricity will make the criminal pull his/her finger trigger and you will get shot even if the criminal really had no intention to shoot you. So make sure their gun is pointing away from you, or away from a loved one if you need to use a stun gun.

Also remember this rule, if you are confronting a criminal with a knife it is better if your arms get sliced, than your chest, or your abdomen, if there is nothing more for you to protect yourself with.

If a criminal is approaching you and demanding for you to give him money without showing you a weapon, and there are people around make sure to scream and don't be afraid to use your legs in either kicking their knees, groin area, or anywhere in their front legs, and make sure you hit them hard, scream as loud as possible and run to safety. Just screaming will stop many criminals from persuing you as a victim because they will see that you are willing to put up a fight.

However, if they have a gun pointed at you, or a knife to your throat follow their instructions, but make sure that you look for any openings for you to get away safely, or tu use your defensive weapon.

Also, a good preventive measure that most people do not employ is being aware of your surroundings. If you are going to your car it is a good idea to check around it to see if anyone is hiding, more so at night, but also during the day.

When you are walking to your house look around you and be aware of any areas a criminal could be hiding, same when you are about to leave your house, just make it a habit to look outside in case any criminal is waiting for an oportunity to get inside your home, or worse to kidnap you.

It might sound like being paranoid but it is not. These are precaution methods that could either help you prevent becoming a victim, or will help you have a better success of coming out alive from any situation a criminal might try to get advantage of.

edit on 18-8-2011 by ElectricUniverse because: add comments

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join