It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nordics set sights on gun control after Norway attacks

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Nordics set sights on gun control after Norway attacks

www.france24.com

In the Nordic countries, where hunting is popular and firearms are plentiful, the twin July 22 attacks that killed 77 people in Norway have spurred lawmakers to consider tighter gun laws.

But change will not come without resistance in a region where hunting is viewed by many as a cultural heritage passed down from Viking ancestors, and sport shooting is a favourite pastime.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
You all knew this was coming right...

Finland, Foreign Minister Erkki Tuomioja is suggesting that "gun hobbyists and hunters could store their weapons with supervised and registered gun clubs" instead of at home.

also talking about changes to their gun laws are ...

Sweden counts about two million guns and 190,000 members of the national hunter's federation each permitted to own up to six firearms.

Denmark's 5.5 million inhabitants own about 750,000 guns.

Iceland's 320,000 inhabitants own about 60,000 guns,

www.france24.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
What about farming controls?

He also blew up a city with farming materials

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Just like clockwork.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

this upsets me every time i hear about it.

for crying out loud permits to own up to 6 weapons? etc.

As the Founding Fathers knew well, a government that does not trust its honest, law-abiding, taxpaying citizens with the means of self-defense is not itself worthy of trust. Laws disarming honest citizens proclaim that the government is the master, not the servant, of the people.

that is riduculous "gun lobbyists and hunters could store their weapons with supervised gun clubs"

omg babysitters!!!

just think how long before that comes here

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Australia has basically the very same law... those weapons also must be stored disassembled and ammo stored separately... BTW the Aussies are dealing with a new increase in home invasions... as well as murders... you see these types of restrictive gun laws only keep guns out of the hands of honest folks... the bad guys don't obey laws anyway and an unarmed populace is ripe for the picking...

don't believe me... Look at what Happened in Mexico... A place with the most restrictive gun laws of any country... whats the death toll up to now... 40,000 DOA....adding another 10 or 20 per-day
edit on 16-8-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

i dont agree with laws that make the only persons means of defense is a 9-11 call.

i consider that an act of treason and i dont agree with any gun "law" no matter where it is in the world.

nothing stops the criminals and true enough when all guns are banned only criminals will have them.

it is also a well known fact that they target "Easy prey" and you can get any more easy than a disarmed citizen.

honest law abiding citizens covers up to 98 percent of the worlds population who have done nothing wrong.

this anti gun nonesense upsets me because the only thing they have done is create more vicitims
edit on 16-8-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
the solution to gun crime is simple even for a brit like me

mandatory carrying at all times where you are breaking the law if you have your firearm either unloaded or out of reach at all times 24x7 so you are going swimming in the pool then take a waterproof holster etc, the only exception is for people physically or mentally incapable

but with the caveat that if you pull a gun on someone without good reason everyone around you is allowed to pull and shoot you and the law states that you have to aim to kill not to injure so making the pulling of a gun a rather risky action since you could have 30 people pulling their weapons

mandatory weapons training at school so when you get to the legal age to own a weapon you understand how to clean/handle a weapon

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I don't know how many people smoke cigarettes over there but I'm willing to bet it kills millions. Why don't they ban cigarettes first?
edit on 16-8-2011 by blackrain17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
OK. if this is a conspiracy, which it may be, who knows, gun laws are really a secondary objective. Anti terrorism infrastructure is the primary goal of this sort of operation. Think; Ex special forces officers, big money and international networking. Think: the big end of organised crime.

Gun laws are nothing compared to the facilitation of private "security" corporations. Think about it.

edit on 16-8-2011 by mrwiffler because: brain

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Yeah we've heard this and that over the incident. Politicians here are like vultures. I guess that applies everywhere. That one suggestion about storing guns is totally ridicilous. Many clubs dont even have indoors places and many that do dont have any secure indoor places. They actually also suggested that all guns would be stored at the police station which is equally ridicilous. Especially in rural areas. This however is nothing new here. We've had this going on since the shooting in Jokela School. First rounds of tighter gun laws were already passed. Now the norway incident gives the creeps in power a perfect tool for the second round.
Also a trivia tidbit: Finland has 3rd most registered guns per capita

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackrain17
I don't know how many people smoke cigarettes over there but I'm willing to bet it kills millions. Why don't they ban cigarettes first?
edit on 16-8-2011 by blackrain17 because: (no reason given)

Because cigarettes cant protect a population from a tyrannical government

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Thought they were NORWEGIANS, not NORDICS...
Nordics describe an alien race

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Might sound like a stupid "egg or hen" question, but...

Im all for gun rights... i.e... guns to defend oneself
However....
Im also for NOT letting violent people gain access to guns.

Now how exactly does a government make sure that guns only end up in the hands of someone who wants to defend himself, family etc.... and NOT in the hands of violent sociopaths?

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC

wasn't my word to use...
By the rules here at ATS I have to use the title the news source used...
however in this case I think they were looking for a word to encompass everyone who lives in the region.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I can understand the simplistic Problem>Reaction>Solution mindset.

It's simple, appealing and is sold on the "Solution" it claims to be bringing.

Yet the "Solution" never comes.

So now we just get Problem>Reaction. There hasnt been a "Solution" in decades.

No more valuable than a retarded ape swinging its arms around wildly.

That's all most of are. Retarded apes swinging our arms around wildly.
edit on 16-8-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

Now how exactly does a government make sure that guns only end up in the hands of someone who wants to defend himself, family etc.... and NOT in the hands of violent sociopaths?

The only logical answer is that its a risk you have to be willing to take to live in a free society. If you ban the guns because of "sociopaths", then the "sociopaths" have won.

In America, after 9/11, the talking heads and Bush himself said that changing our ways of life and being scared of the "terrorists" means that they win, and look at at all the freedoms we still have....oh wait, nevermind

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Do we need further proof that this was a staged event with help from higher powers? Yeah, he acted alone alright.
It's sickening.
edit on 16-8-2011 by Enlightenme1111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC

Eeeh... you perhaps hang around here too much?
Nordics is people of Nordic countries

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
One country still stands firm (most states anyway) in a world of unarmed subjects, the United States of America (mostly) are armed citizens, not disarmed subjects. I wonder if we will be the last country left when the world becomes one gigantic police planet.

SLAVES ARE NOT ALLOWED TO OWN GUNS!

Which are you? An unarmed subject or an armed citizen?
A slave or a free human being?

Wasn't there a shooting that occurred in Australia and then the people all got in line and handed over their handguns rifles and shotguns WILLINGLY handed them over along with their freedoms and liberties?

It is so strange how this is similar to that event. A shooter kills people who are unarmed and refuse to carry weapons then the call goes out to disarm every free citizen essentially turning the country into a gigantic police state. An island full of people who casually toss liberty into the garbage gets attacked and then the call goes out to force the entire country to throw freedom and liberty away.

If only ONE PERSON on that island had a firearm they could kill or wounded him. At least stood up like a free human being instead of running away like a slave.

Think of it. 400+ people on the island 400+ people versus 1 human being.

400+ people versus 1 human being.

400+ versus 1

Now they have the wake up call to realize the world is not rainbows and kittens and they want to further decrease the security of the citizens? Turn the people into subjects? Into slaves?

We have a few saying to counter SLAVES ARE NOT ALLOWED TO OWN GUNS.

LIVE FREE OR DIE
You can have my firearms when you pry them from my cold dead hands
Come and take them

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join