It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Canada Get Out Of Being Part Of The Commonwealth?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Learn the facts about the Vatican's and British Crown's continued
claimed ownership of the USA; and, their continued collection of
'tribute' from Americans through the Pope's 'Holy Roman Empire'. www.biblebelievers.org.au...

And I will add that Canada is also a Crown Corporation and has very little to do with the Queen of England ...If you are Canadian then you are chattel property of the Corporation ....What we were taught and what is the truth are divided by rhetoric and making words we take for granite to mean one thing that have no resemblance to what the Corporate Law of the word means ... take a look at Blacks Law dictionary some day ...look up Human or Person . ......peace

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Brokenbackrest

Things won't change. Ever. Canadians are colonials, they aren't bright enough for a start, and they just love going out to see our queen and princesses/princes with their little Union Flags and Canadian flags whenever they decide to visit.

wow..aren't you just the enlightened one who knows how intelligent a whole nation is.

I know of a lot of canadians who can't stand the monarchy ..and don't line up to wave flags...just as there are many british who have no use for them as well.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I love Canada, and I believe it should remain part of the Commonwealth.
When I made my oath upon joining the military I swore allegiance to Queen and Country.
I stand by that oath even after I have been retired 8 years now.

Hooray for Harper bring back the Royal in military titles. Good on him.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Are you just jealous because your "country" (term used lightly) was never powerful enough to create nations? I think you are

I checked your posts out.. your not even a troll....
Cmon you can do better than that...Use it....

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Why would we want to drop out of the commonwealth ?

So we can become a siamese twin and slave to the USA ?

Would you rather see portraits of US presidents on our money and in our hallways of government buildings instead of the queen ?

Would you rather have our US butt-kissing prime ministers sell off all of our natural resources to the americans because the lands would no longer be protected under the agreement of Crown land titles?

Would you rather see our country go into irreversible tremendous debt because we would have to ramp up our military defense and armament 1000 times over ? The cost of being a part of the commonwealth is a drop in the bucket compared to what it would cost us to not be... think long and hard about that one folks.

No thanks, I'd much rather be a part of the Commonwealth of Nations... some things are worth the price.

The only reason we're able to be a peacekeeping country is because we're a part of the commonwealth.

... And besides all that, I for one am proud to be a fellow brethren to other great countries like Australia, New Zealand, and Britain. I can travel to those and other commonwealth countries and be welcomed with open arms and a friendly smile.

We're part of a family of nations looking out for one another... for the common good.
edit on 16-8-2011 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
As far as I am aware leaving the Commonwealth would have no impact on Queenie being around.. many countries of the Commonwealth having no allegiance to the Queen.. India being a prime example. And Canada is not the only Commonwealth member in the Americas..

The Canadian Flag flies alongside my countries flag above my town and above the Fort that protects my town from invasion in honour of a steadfast friendship defined in times of desperate need..

The Commonwealth resembles a friendship more than anything else and I suspect if Charlie does ascend the throne then he won't be head of the Commonwealth, but would still be the head of state for Canada.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Canada and Latin America is the only thing that keeps that mass of land in the west from being nuked to death by the rest of the world.

edit on 16-8-2011 by JennaDarling because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brokenbackrest
Your country is a joke. You have no history. A nation that couldn't develop itself is not one that is intelligent.

Here's your tradition everyone
This being a member of the commonwealth and swearing allegiance to the queen is just a sign of weakness to the international community

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by CranialSponge
Why would we want to drop out of the commonwealth ?

So we can become a siamese twin and slave to the USA ?

Would you rather see portraits of US presidents on our money and in our hallways of government buildings instead of the queen ?

Really?
The only option is either one extreme or the other?
What about neutrality? Why not be like Switzerland?

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Recent polls show that Canadians support retaining the monarchy. It's really not that big of a deal, the prime minister is the real ruler and the Canadian born and appointed governor general is the real head of state. It's symbolic ... and it's cheap compared to our (the United States) republic. Our president is like a billion times more expensive than all the Windsors combined. It's not like the Queen directly rules Canada, anything she does is on the advice of the elected government of Canada, the UK, Jamaica, the Bahamas, Barbados, Australia, etc and only on the advice of her elected governments.

Besides, it's widely believed that Charles made a deal upon marrying Camilla that he would reign for a day (just so he could say he had his chance as King) and then abdicate in favor of the much more popular William.

royalwedding.globalnews.ca...
The article makes it clear that while the majority support the monarchy, it is not a big issue as Canada has far more important problems to worry about than a symbolic leader.
edit on 16-8-2011 by ChrisF231 because: poll

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

You mean develop itself into a money-hungry, militaristic, corporate-owned, mindless superpower ruled by rich elitists while leaving its people to starve on the streets and threatening to bring down the entire global economy?
If so, then I'll pass.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
How is Canada not developed?
We have a large boreal forest that's protected, it's needed to stay protected because it contributes to the global climate. Development throughout the forested areas stay minimal on purpose. Same thing with the arctic area. Same with the grain belts - we grow a lot of food there.

We've developed plenty. It's nice the way it is.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit
We've developed plenty. It's nice the way it is.

Swearing an oath to another country on another continent couldn't be any better?

Here's an interesting question, because we all know that being part of the commonwealth is a sign of weakness to the international community and as well that many people joke around saying "Does Canada even have an army?" here's an interesting question

If Canada got out of the commonwealth would it have a stronger military?

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

"Does Canada even have an army?"

Does Canada even need an army? The only time it gets called out is when Ontario gets scared by a little snow.
We have an army capable of handling minor disputes, or of assisting in conflicts. Never have we used our military to lead an invasion of another country, and never have we had retaliation for such actions on our soil.

There's a delusion going around that, in order to be safe, a nation needs a sizable military capable of defending itself against its enemies. In reality, to truly be safe, a nation needs only one thing: to make no enemies in the first place.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brokenbackrest
Your country is a joke. You have no history. A nation that couldn't develop itself is not one that is intelligent.

You might want to take a look at your own cultural progression...it is the result of the last people who conquered you. Oh...and all those before. Angles, Saxons, Normans...

Sorry Sparky...can you even name the original English tribes? Now smile for the nice man with the camera and tell me about your freedoms.

...and just to get back on topic, I have no problem with us being part of the Commonwealth, nor acknowledging our British roots. Or French. Or First Nations, for that matter. It's all part of our national identity.
edit on 16-8-2011 by JohnnyCanuck because: ...just because!

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Queen Elizabeth II is the Queen of Canada in it's own right. Each Commonwealth realm is a completely independent and separate country with it's own monarchy, and has been so since the Statue of Westminster in 1931. When the Queen travels on behalf of a particular realm, or performs an official duty for a particular Commonwealth realm she does it on the advice of the Canadian, Jamaican, St. Lucian, Bahamian, Belizean, Australian, New Zealand, etc government and NOT the British government.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by CranialSponge

... And besides all that, I for one am proud to be a fellow brethren to other great countries like Australia, New Zealand, and Britain. I can travel to those and other commonwealth countries and be welcomed with open arms and a friendly smile.

We're part of a family of nations looking out for one another... for the common good

Well said.

I think that's the point, commonwealth....

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

"Does Canada even have an army?"

We have an army capable of handling minor disputes, or of assisting in conflicts. Never have we used our military to lead an invasion of another country, and never have we had retaliation for such actions on our soil.

This is wrong. Attempts have been made for attacks on Canadian soil. They've merely been suppressed so that you don't know about them.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime
Does Canada even need an army? The only time it gets called out is when Ontario gets scared by a little snow.

War of 1812 Canada had no army, just Canadian Militias, paid and unpaid volunteers they mostly relied on Britain's royal Navy.

Canada has alot of trees, natural resources, rare earth metals, many farmlands and a good economy, but not a strong military.

Sounds like great easy prey to me

Canada doesn't need a strong military?
Every country needs a strong national defense.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join