It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Canada Get Out Of Being Part Of The Commonwealth?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Why is Canada still part of the commonwealth?
How does it make sense for a sovereign nation to have a head of state in another continent?
Why is the queen still on canadian coins?

Does anyone know how much it costs for Canada to be still in the commonwealth?
Whenever I say this to Canadians they say it's tradition, well is that sufficient?

Thoughts ATS?

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Well thats what happens when your given your independence as opposed to taking it.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Harper is on the verge of putting "Royal" back into the canadian forces on some of the branches

www.660news.com...

The queen has the title but not much power over canada thats why they let her get away with it

she lets canada do there thing and the canadians don't mind it

untill.... she tries to pull rank

im sure canadians won't stand for it and will want out of the queens web...

she hasn't tried to do anything in a very long time and let canada be its own thing...

on paper it might be a monarchy but in practice that old hag has another thing coming lol

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Go ahead, as soon as you leave the Commonwealth, you will be integrated into America

Take your pick

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Yeah, i want out of the Commonwealth. I think it's pretty ridiculous.

Funny you post this thread today as Mackay announces we will be changing our military names to honor royal roots.

Changing name of military

Canada's air force and navy will undergo a name change that honours the military's royal roots, Defence Minister Peter MacKay announced Tuesday. Speaking in Halifax, MacKay said the Canadian air force, now officially named Air Command, will be renamed the Royal Canadian Air Force. The navy, now called Maritime Command, will once again be known as the Royal Canadian Navy. And the army, known as Land Force Command, will now be called the Canadian Army.

LOL I know we are Canada and no one takes us seriously, but I'm tired of this Monarchy BS.

Get the Queen off of our money!

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
How does it make sense for a sovereign nation to have a head of state in another continent?

Whenever I say this to Canadians they say it's tradition, well is that sufficient?

Thoughts ATS?

The tradition sucks..and I hate being part of the commonwealth. In all the government buildings of importance hangs multiple pictures of the queen, which irks me to no end. It feels like I have to plead allegiance to false Gods..

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by JennaDarling

I think the return of the Royal Canadian Navy and the Royal Canadian Air Farce (sorry, I miss that show) is one way to prepare the country for the succession to having Charles to the throne. And on that most unpleasant thought, I'd better leave it at that.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Thoughts ATS?

Canada is a voluntary member of the Commonwealth. The Queen stands for the moral authority as she is also the head of the Church of England and thus is responsible for giving her advisement on issues of state and domestic issues. Canadians by and large still honor the royalty, even though they are a sovereign nation.

edit on 16-8-2011 by Fromabove because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by gabby2011

Thoughts ATS?

The tradition sucks..and I hate being part of the commonwealth. In all the government buildings of importance hangs multiple pictures of the queen, which irks me to no end. It feels like I have to plead allegiance to false Gods..

That's just too bad
You are a part of the Commonwealth. You will always be a part of the Commonwealth so you had better start learning to like it.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
Well thats what happens when your given your independence as opposed to taking it.

Very good point

Originally posted by seedofchucky
Harper is on the verge of putting "Royal" back into the canadian forces on some of the branches

www.660news.com...

How much is this useless act going to cost Canadians?
Rebranding uniforms and more british pictures in govt. buildings.
How much?

Originally posted by seedofchucky
The queen has the title but not much power over canada thats why they let her get away with it
she lets canada do there thing and the canadians don't mind it

Canada should mind

Canada became a country at Confederation in 1867. Our system of government is a constitutional monarchy and a parliamentary democracy. Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II is Queen of Canada and Head of State. The Governor General is the representative of the Queen in Canada.

www.gg.ca...

How much does this useless post get paid?
It's a useless post that gets paid over 130k a year plus he owns an insane amount of land
And whenever people from Britain comes here Canadians have to pay for all expenses.

So they should mind

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by JennaDarling

Go ahead, as soon as you leave the Commonwealth, you will be integrated into America

Take your pick

Neither
This isn't 1812, it's 2011

Canada should not be part of the commonwealth and not be a part of the U.S.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
So being in the commonwealth has no benefits? Canada without Great Britain would more than likely be part of the US, since 1812. So we pay a little homage to the Queen but we get to be completely independent

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Take your pick

Neither

Are you just jealous because your "country" (term used lightly) was never powerful enough to create nations? I think you are.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Take your pick

Neither

Ahh sorry, France then.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Everything hinges on Quebec. If it breaks away to become it's own nation, the maritime provinces will join with the United States as states, and the western provinces will still be Canada.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
She has no power - Yet she can suspend canadian parliament on a wim

More like you think she has no power.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I don't even know what Canada is still doing with the commonwealth, the UN and free trade.

Things are going downfall for about everyone and seriously, we don't need the US.
I'm not saying totally close the borders but I think in the long run it would help if we concentrate on internal economy.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Brokenbackrest

That's just too bad You are a part of the Commonwealth. You will always be a part of the Commonwealth so you had better start learning to like it.

Ha !! Things can always change... and I don't have to learn to like anything that is based on some false superiority of bloodlines...that sucks the money from its poor.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by gabby2011
reply to post by Brokenbackrest

That's just too bad You are a part of the Commonwealth. You will always be a part of the Commonwealth so you had better start learning to like it.

Ha !! Things can always change... and I don't have to learn to like anything that is based on some false superiority of bloodlines...that sucks the money from its poor.

Things won't change. Ever. Canadians are colonials, they aren't bright enough for a start, and they just love going out to see our queen and princesses/princes with their little Union Flags and Canadian flags whenever they decide to visit.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vanishr
She has no power - Yet she can suspend canadian parliament on a wim

More like you think she has no power.

Exactly. The fact that the monarchy isn't using the power it has doesn't mean that that power doesn't still rest there. Her Majesty is the very definition of the Light Touch.

Being the commonwealth has many political, diplomatic, and economic ties which are very useful.

How come I never see anyone saying, "Should Canada Leave the Francophonie?" Why, because you've never HEARD of the Francophonie.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join