It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is it ok for Them to Hack?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I read an interesting tweet this morning (yes i said it, i might not use facebook, but i use twitter, people don't seem to realize its for news and information rather than "social networking") and it pointed something out i had forgotten about.

Remember back in June when Mi6 Hacked some "Terrorist" website and replaced the bomb making recipes with recipes to make cupcakes? Sauce

The joint action by MI6 and the UK’s Government Communications Headquarters had agents insert into the magazine an encrypted version of “The Best Cupcakes in America,” published by the Ellen DeGeneres talk show.

Granted we don't want people making bombs, why was that ok? Why wasn't it against the law to hack someone's website and change information just a few months ago? Yet recently, all kinds of little kids are getting poped left and right for using ddos attacks.

I hope if taken to court in the UK any anonymous, lulzec, whatever groups bring this topic up. If they are to be arrested, shouldn't the people at mi6 aswell?

How hypocritical is this?!

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by doom27

It's also illegal to execute people, they still do. you don't think the laws that apply to us actually apply to the people making the laws do you?

link   
reply to post by doom27

hi doom27

U ask why its ok for THEM ?

and my answer would be...

because THEY make the rules and ENFORCE them at their convenience...

seeya

link   
Its because they are corporate security guards they are allowed to do what they want when they want . Our "elected" leaders turn a blind eye and stick there head in the sand and allow it to happen .

We have only our selfs to blame for letting them get away with it and hand us the bill once they are done there dirty work ...

Just like money if you and me printed it we would be in jail...

but they do its okay ..

Its not really double standards when you consider you are taxed live stock and they are your masters doing as they please ....

you want change? educate your friends family to "elect" member officials to put a stop to corruption and "double standards" and if you want your taxed live stock tag removed

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Both actions are against the law.

The story about MI6 replacing harmful data with cupcake recipes seems rather flimsy to me though.
Why would they not have just wiped the whole server, it would have covered their tracks and there would not have been any ethics questions to answer? Who told the media that the sight was tampered with in the first place?

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
reply to post by doom27

It's also illegal to execute people, they still do. you don't think the laws that apply to us actually apply to the people making the laws do you?

What is your proof that it is illegal to execute people?

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
because they have the power,
we dont.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by doom27

You do get “ethical hackers” I have a friend who has a master’s degree in “ethical hacking” he basically spends all day testing the security systems of big companies IT networks. I would guess that when GCHQ hack it’s as part of defending national security and is justified as part of a cyber warfare campaign against the terrorists and defending national secrets form rouge states and so on.

I think it is fair to say that there is a massive difference between the government hacking into terrorists systems and groups like Lolzec and Anonymous targeting Facebook and the public sites for governments and the CIA. They are doing it to be mischievous for whatever reason they may have, the intelligence services would argue that they do it to protect national security.

There is no way that any law make it illegal for any type of hacking to take place, believe it or not but you need the “ethical hackers” like my friend and you also need hackers at GCHQ to keep vital national infrastructure secure.
edit on 16-8-2011 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Perhaps they did it for the lulz. They've been chasing shadows so long they're adopting tactics.. lol

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
It was the talk of disconnecting websites like twitter that made me laugh, remember the whole china - google thing a year or so back. The chinese gov. didn't want its citizens to look at certain site and out leaders said it was sooooooo wrong now look at these very same leaders.
Remember the Saudis trying to ban the use of Blackberry phones because blackberry wouldn't give the gov. the decipher codes that to was sooooooooo wrong now look what our leaders want to do it's such a joke I might try laughing!

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
What ever happened to that Stuart guy (can't remember his last name) the one that hacked the US defense system?

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by doom27

The fact that law enforcement officers may enter your premises forcefully does not mean other people can do so as well.

In our case: Yes, government agencies may hack into your PC, but you may not hack into theirs. Simple enough, isn't it ? And it's nothing hypocritical about it either, since the government is elected by the people and creates the laws that allow said agencies to do what they do. At least that's the theoretical concept.

The fact you ask the question you asked clearly proves you have difficulties understanding this concept.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by H1ght3chHippie

So can I put an anti hacking disclaimer on my computer stating that ' If any persons knowingly hacks this computer......blah, blah, blah,'
Would that then make it illegal for them?
I'm being sarcastic before you take me too serious

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by doom27

I guess the difference is, MI6 hacked in a good way to stop potential terrorists from making bombs that would kill or maim others while those arrested were behind hacks that hurt others in some way.

Far as I'm concerned, if it stops terrorism and pedophilia then go for it.

top topics

join