It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food Safety and Health: Tapeworms: nasty little buggers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
North America is experiencing a resurgence of "Tapeworms" Not something you want to get when every calorie counts in a real SHTF... but even on a weekend outing with the family you need to protect yourself and others... tapeworms are serious business so pay attention...
Link to the Mayo-Clinic Tapeworm section

The most common types of tapeworm infections in humans are:
Pork tapeworm (Taenia solium)
Beef tapeworm (Taenia saginata)
Dwarf tapeworm (Hymenolepis nana)
Fish tapeworm (Diphyllobothrium latum)

Signs of Intestinal Tapeworm Infection
• Nausea
• Muscle weakness
• Diarrhea
• Weight loss
• Malnutrition
• Abdominal Pain
• Passing worm sections in stool

Tapeworms can also move out of the intestines and start infesting other tissues. This is a much more serious condition, causing complications that can require treatment in their own right.

Complications of Invasive Tapeworm Infection
• Fever
• Cystic lumps or masses
• Allergic reactions
• Bacterial infections
• Possible seizures (where brain tissue is involved)

This is one of the many reasons we tell you to boil water.... but how you handle food, esp raw meat is of equal importance...Most efficient prevention for tapeworm infections in humans are personal hygiene and consumption of clean, well cooked food (especially when eating meat and fish). Always wash your hands thoroughly after toilet and before eating. If you are living in a place with high rates of tapeworm infection, try to wash fruits and vegetables too. Remember that treatment with medicine is effective only if you pay attention to hygiene

Tips for Preventing Tapeworms:
• Wash hands after using the toilet
• Wash hands before and after handling meat
• Wash hands before eating
• Freeze meat for 24 hours before cooking
• Freeze fish for 48 hours before cooking
• Cook meat at temperatures of at least 150 degrees Fahrenheit
• Avoid undercooked meat and fish
• Promptly treat tapeworm in pets or livestock

Ingestion of eggs. If you eat food or drink water contaminated with feces from a person or animal with tapeworm, you are ingesting microscopic tapeworm eggs. For example, a pig infected with tapeworm will pass tapeworm eggs in its feces, which gets into the soil. If this same soil comes in contact with a food or water source, it becomes contaminated. You can then be infected when you eat or drink something from the contaminated source. Once inside your intestine, the eggs develop into larvae. At this stage, the larvae become mobile. If they migrate out of your intestines, they form cysts in other tissues such as your lungs or liver. Invasive tapeworm infection is more common with pork tapeworm than with the other kinds.

Ingestion of larvae cysts in meat or muscle tissue. When an animal has a tapeworm infection, it has tapeworm larvae in its muscle tissue. If you eat raw or undercooked meat from an infected animal, you ingest the larvae, which then develop into adult tapeworms in your intestines.

Please dot just walk away thinking your superman and immune... not when your health is at stake...

Invasive infection complications
Invasive infections have a greater likelihood of developing complications, including:
Brain and central nervous system impairment. Called neurocysticercosis, this especially dangerous complication of invasive pork tapeworm infection can result in headaches and visual impairment, as well as seizures, meningitis, hydrocephalus or dementia. Death can occur in severe cases of infection.
Organ function disruption. When larvae migrate to tissues or organs in your body, they develop into lesions or cysts. Over time, they grow larger, and sometimes their size can disrupt organ function, or they can grow so large that they rupture. In other cases, cysts put pressure on nearby blood vessels, hindering circulation or causing blood vessels to rupture. Surgery or organ transplantation may be needed in severe cases.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
1.That's why I like "tea tree oil" tea. Kills everything in your intestines when yuo drink too much of it.

2. Some people are deliberately seeking tapeworms, due to obesity.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by CynicalDrivel

Yeah I read about that too... people infecting themselves with tape worms as a weight loss gimmick...
well to them I say... A picture is worth a 1,000 words... so look at this picture as ask yourself if this is what you want living in your belly

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Good article. Tropical countries have a big issue with these creatures. Even CILANTRO and SCALLIONS are known herbs/vegetables among others that contain eggs or larvaes of them. This is why you need to wash your veggies clean before using it.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

You are so right...
but sadly I think a good many people will pass this thread over in favor of the more glamorous and glitzy threads...
but ya cant say we didn't try to learn em something right?

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Yuck...I did advanced level biology (and worked a short stint in pathology to pay bills) of all things I have seen these are one of the things that really turn my stomach.. thanks for the thread

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Between cows and pigs, it's the pork tapeworm that has the tendency to migrate out of the intestines into other parts of the body. This may have some relation to the Middle-Eastern prohibition against eating pork. There's a similar issue with dogs as well (not dog meat, but rather the fecal contamination)

For those who like raw seafood, the wasabi has been shown to have some anti-parasitic properties, but I think you have to make sure it get well-soaked into the piece of meat before you eat it.

Anyways, it's always a good idea to make sure the food is thoroughly cooked, whatever you happen to be eating. So if you're not in a highly industrialized country where there is close observation to food safety ordinances, even a salad would be better off cooked.

I know that sometimes there's the issue of being able to use antibiotics to treat pretty much any infection. Still, the pain of having cysts in your muscles (and elsewhere) may not go away as readily as the parasites themselves even with medication treatment. I'd reather not find out personally.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
yikes!

funny, ive been thinking food safety alot lately in TSHTF world. dont want to get botchulisum *spelling* or Tetanus, can you imagine having you jaw spasm so bad that you break your teeth from clinching so hard! Thats scares the (bleep) out of me. Its about time for me to get my tetanus shot again. lol

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

This is an important topic and I hope more people will read the tread. Do you know of any natural remedies (besides the above-mentioned tea)?

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
MMMMM tapeworms..........natures weight loss plan........

Always take care of your food and prepare it properly people!

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
yep yep

no sense in eating for 2

always wash and prepare your food.

this aint rocket science

its common sense.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
how to worm yourself
take green walnuts with the hull still on them, place in quart jar, fill remaining jar with grain alcohol ,seal , let ferment for 10 days, take 1 table spoon full once a week for 30 days, after that one table spoon every month

if you fear worms from fish or other meats soak in lemon juice for 15 minutes

if you eat a clove of garlic with every meal you will never get food poisoning , the allicin sulfer compound in garlics vapor will kill anthrax and other pathogens at 20cm including worms

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Prevention is always the best measure, as the infection should not be taken lightly because of damage to body disks. Tapeworm should never be used in dieting purposes.

Current: doctor prescription of:
Praziquantel(not prescribed for human in UK,however, only US), albendazole , Niclosamide(UK, not US)

Herbal:
Black Walnut, among others(mentioned)

Emergency suspicion/SHTF and you have nothing but;
Tobacco/nicotine Tabs as a mild anthelmintic(find the right dose per body weight, do not overdose)*

*prefer prevention of tapeworm over tobacco(dangerous but throwing it out there in case someone mentions it) cure for animals and people as well

top topics

join