It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Sex Please! We’re Just Kids!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Perhaps it’s not that surprising that a mother in Menifee, California, asked the Menifee Union School District to ban all copies of the 10th edition of Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary after her child stumbled across the term “oral sex.” What is surprising, indeed horrifying, is that district officials immediately complied with her request, and pulled all dictionaries off classroom shelves throughout the Southern California school district, which serves 9,000 kids, kindergarten through eighth grade.

District officials said on Friday that they are forming a committee to consider a permanent classroom ban of the Merriam Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary. District spokeswoman Betti Cadmus said that school officials will review the dictionary to decide if it should be permanently banned because of the “sexually graphic” entry. “It’s hard to sit and read the dictionary, but we’ll be looking to find other things of a graphic nature,” Cadmus said. (Isn’t that just what those fourth and fifth graders like to do?!)

Apparently some parents and free-speech advocates believe that district officials are overreacting. No kidding! Let’s put this in perspective: every year, public schools across the country receive hundreds of requests from parents, public officials and activists to remove books they consider inappropriate. Between 1990 and 2008, the American Library Association logged more than 9,600 requests to take books away from library shelves, summer reading lists and school classrooms. Most of these challenged books remain on the shelves.

Read more: www.care2.com...

"Dunno guys, when I was in 4th grade and looked up "sex" in my dictionary, I immediately went and had sex with every girl in class. While everyone else watched. I even had sex with the teacher too. He was a man. That # turned me into one extreme sexual deviant. I'm completely insatiable and can't go more than ten seconds without sex. Even now, I'm with a zebra without its consent. My life has become a living heck because of that dictionary in 4th grade.

This is a completely rational decision by that school district based on likely events that will occur if children start reading slightly suggestive material in their dictionaries."

All jokes aside is the whole world mad?
edit on 8/16/2011 by drew1749 because: (no reason given)

Mod Note: New External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.
edit on 8/16/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by drew1749

Oh how typical of a certain mindset these days. They'll handle the fact many of their students are doing it by simply banning the book that defines it. I'm sorry, but banning a dictionary has reached the absolute bottom. Where is there to go down from here?? Thanks for the story. It helps to keep track of how far other schools are going in the PC madness.
edit on 16-8-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
its because its america, otherwise she'd sue the school system for idk scaring her child or some random bs so she could get a payout, who knows maybe if the kid is educated about oral sex and sex in general her child might not end up on a stupid mtv program about 16 year old mothers lol.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
America's school system... Schizophrenic much?

Schools teaching your ten-year-old about anal sex

Elwood Indiana "Health" class studies how to have sex and not get STDs

Myth: You can avoid STDs by having oral or anal sex. Fact: Where there's sex (oral, anal, vaginal, or even just sexual contact), there can be STDs. The viruses or bacteria that cause STDs can enter the body through tiny cuts or tears in the mouth and anus, as well as the genitals. Some STDs, like herpes or genital warts, can spread just through skin-to-skin contact with an infected area or sore. What can you do? Use a condom or a dental dam every time you have oral or anal sex. If the taste of latex isn't your thing, there are flavored condoms made specifically for oral sex. this is the site they are teaching our kids from for health class: www.teenshealth.org

So on the one hand, school systems are teaching pre-adolescents how to have oral and anal sex (it's happening all over the country) and now a school district bans the Mirriam-Webster Dictionary for defining it?

This country has gone insane.

link   
reply to post by kaoticf8

Tell me about it. In America idiots can sue for anything. There needs to be a new law about wasting a courts time with a stupid lawsuit. If you do it you owe the court money. I like that plan. It'll fix some of the PC in this country.

link   
1. If I could protect children not nearly an adult from ever being exposed to such words, I would.
2. I find it very unrealistic to think I could keep it from them.
3. Better the dictionary than the other children, who are as apt to get the facts wrong.
4. All jokes aside, there's some highly sexually active kids out there. I'm 30, and when I was 14, I was given the information that there is a statistic on 9 year old girls getting pregnant in my state...in a PE class, by the teacher, as a warning that there really isn't a safe age for sex, after some kid brought it up or got pregnant, don't really remember. One suspects that at that early a stage, it was forced upon them, but this is not always necesscerily the case.
5. If the schoolboard wants to spend all the extra money it will take to replace them, let them. They're supposed to provide age-appropriate dictionaries, anyway--and not because of morality issues. I know that they exist--they have those in my mother-in-law's 5th grade classroom.
edit on 16-8-2011 by CynicalDrivel because: wrong word

link   
What the hell ? There are 8 year olds having sex these days, this mother is full of s**t. If I say what is really on my mind I will be banned, this politically correct s**t is getting on my nerves!

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by CynicalDrivel

in a PE class, by the teacher, as a warning that there really isn't a safe age for sex, after some kid brought it

Anyone else get the feeling that their old health teachers only half told the truth? I think a lot of what they said was BS. lol

If the schoolboard wants to spend all the extra money it will take to replace them, let them. They're supposed to provide age-appropriate dictionaries, anyway--and not because of morality issues. I know that they exist--they have those in my mother-in-law's 5th grade classroom.

I disagree. The schoolboard shouldn't waste money in my opinion.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Heartisblack

As does it all. I don't want to derail the topic but I feel it relates to my major pet peeve (that Ive talked about on ATS before) and that's rude arrogant intellectuals who aren't intellectual at all. I feel like the PC attitude relates.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
BAN A DICTIONARY!

WTH!

Seriously how the hell do you ban a dictionary? Does she not know what a dictionary is for? Does she not realized the THOUSANDS of other terms in there?

My god kids some people really shouldn't breed!

When I was in school I wasn't traumatized by learning about sex. Heck I found a book at home my mom had on sex and looked at it. It didn't scare me for life! I learned if anything!

Kids today need to learn about sex and the consequences because they keep having kids AS kids! TOO many young people with kids they can't support!!!

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   
How sexually explicit can it be when it's giving a simple definition? If they want to play this game, then we need to take the Bible out of the religion sections in school libraries for being explicit.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Exactly. That dictionary probably also has bad words in it. OH NOEZ WILL SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!???!!!1111

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by drew1749
reply to post by CynicalDrivel

in a PE class, by the teacher, as a warning that there really isn't a safe age for sex, after some kid brought it

Anyone else get the feeling that their old health teachers only have told the truth? I think a lot of what they said was BS. lol
Considering that I had a science teacher the same year who insisted that she cut a waterspout with a pair of shears, I'm more inclined to trust my PE teacher.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAp20je2viU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAp20je2viU[/url ]And I know it does happen.

If the schoolboard wants to spend all the extra money it will take to replace them, let them. They're supposed to provide age-appropriate dictionaries, anyway--and not because of morality issues. I know that they exist--they have those in my mother-in-law's 5th grade classroom.

I disagree. The schoolboard shouldn't waste money in my opinion.
It's California. Let them. They don't know how to stop spending anyway.
edit on 16-8-2011 by CynicalDrivel because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-8-2011 by CynicalDrivel because: Added URL in case the dang vid doesn't work.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
wait what? 8 year olds are having sex? fml

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by CynicalDrivel
1. If I could protect children not nearly an adult from ever being exposed to such words, I would.

My parents bought me a book about human reproduction at the age of 4. Granted, fellatio wasn't mentioned, but the book used sufficiently simple (and non-gratuitous) terminology, that the only effect it really had on me at the time, was allowing me some idea of what went where, in purely mechanistic terms. There was no smut involved.

As for people thinking America has gone mad; no, you haven't. You've just become a nation of craven, servile infants, who demand "safety," and "protection," at literally any cost. That didn't happen completely on its' own, either; there's been a campaign to make you that way, going back at least 3-4 generations or so.

You've developed such a level of chronic hypersensitivity that you can be frightened or offended by literally anything at all, and when it happens, you immediately scream and cry for the state to come and protect you, and make all the bad things go away. You also don't care what powers the state tells you it needs to do that, either. The police can now do whatever they like.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

Um, you did catch that I said it wasn't going to happen, no matter what I want? I want butterflies and rainbow, but those require pee and rain (literally), so I'm not going to have all pleasentries in my little reality.

I also remember from my childhood: the babysitter's mentally handicapped adult son assaulted me when I was 8 or 9. After that my father sat down and explained things to me out of necessity--with my 5 year old brother present, without going graphically into details. He was most worried that although he would do his best to keep such people from me and my brother, someone would likely try again (which did happen--ish), and that I needed to be cautious with adults I didn't know, and although most adults were trustworthy, some wouldn't be. Charges were not pressed, since the boy wasn't all there in the head, but the mother was forced to face that her son was capable of deviant behavior.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Damn that's idiotic.

Sadly it happens all the time, it seems parents are trying to breed a generation of wimps. Sorry but they are wrong in so many ways. Sure i don't think kids below 13 should be having sex, but that shouldn't matter. Kids need to have sex when they are young, and they need to be safe about it. The more parents like this who are parental nazis need to realize they are destroying their kids lives. They will be ridiculed in school, they will miss out on the sex, drugs and parties, and when they turn 18 and gtfo of there, they will more than likely become a drug addict whore because they never had a chance to experiment when they were a kid, and will just go balls to the walls as soon as they can.

Trust me i've seen it happen.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Yet another reason to stay away and out of Kommifornia.

Someone needs to tell her about the burning of books as her next logical step.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
That's probably on of the silliest things I've read this week.

That kids still use paper dictionaries...

All jokes aside, I'd be more worried about what my kids are looking up on the internet rather than a dictionary.
Even an innocent search like "angel fish" has led to some nasty surprises for my kids, even with safe search on.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
double post....sorry
edit on 16-8-2011 by tncryptogal because: double post

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join