It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sunken treasure of 3,422 ancient bronze coins found in the small Sicilian island of Pantelleria

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Italian archaeologists have retrieved a sunken treasure of 3,422 ancient bronze coins in the small Sicilian island of Pantelleria, they announced today.
Discovered by chance during a survey to create an underwater archaeological itinerary,the coins have been dated between 264 and 241 BC.

2,000-Year-Old Shipwreck Creates Deep Sea Mystery
At that time, Pantelleria, which lies about 70 miles southwest of Sicily, in the middle of the Sicily Strait, became a bone of contention between the Romans and Carthaginians.
Rome captured the small Mediterranean island in the First Punic War in 255 BC, but lost it a year later. In 217 BC, in the Second Punic War, Rome finally regained the island, and even celebrated the event with commemorative coins and a holiday.

Read the full paper here

I was wondering how many treasures like this one are still awaiting for their discovery?

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   
I wonder how much these coins are worth, any estimated value?

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

I'm sure there are many more treasures to discover out there. Nice read I enjoyed this post. I too would like to know what the coins are worth?

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
The person that died with this money, died with the money.

Good lesson some people need to learn.

Side note, bronze. Ha!

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Looking forward to hearing about this on the local news. I'll let you know what they say - also if the estimated money amount coincides with the article. Funny how number change here in Sicily. *Wink*

peace

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Cool!

So you're from Sicilia? The paper is 4 days old, I guess that there will probably something on the news today. Maybe also some precisions will pop up, like the estimated value for example, if it's possible to estimate such an old treasure.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by litterbaux

Although the point you are trying to make is not lost on me, the article indicates that no one died with this money...

"They decided to hide the treasure on the bottom of the sea, in relatively low waters, in the hope to recover it later. Indeed, near the coins we found a large stone anchor," Abelli said.

new topics

top topics

join