It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I SUPPORT SOCIAL CHANGE (but not if it inconveniences me or makes me uncomfortable)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
There you have it. The title says it all. If you were following #OpBART on Twitter you would already know that a lot of people were bashing the protestors for causing the shutdown of multiple BART stations. This is not true. BART did this in an attempt to get the public on it's side by inconveniencing their riders and causing backlash against the protestors.

It worked and Twitter was lit up by people calling the protestors "spoiled, entitled youth protesting 'the man'" and declaring that "they are preventing innocent people from using a service and this is not a good way to win those people to their cause".

There were some people inconvenienced by the closings. You see, they had to walk more than a city block in the abysmal cool-summer Mediterranean climate which possibly gave them time to think about their lives and just how inconvenienced they were by all those spoiled, entitled youths. Oh, the irony.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Do they normally shut down the stations for no reason? Nope Did they shut down the stations because of the protestors? Yup How you can even think the protestors weren't the cause of the stations being shut down is beyond reason.
edit on 16-8-2011 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Just keep conforming everyone, we dont allow protests anymore, follow the pack, go along with what we tell you and everything will be allright, oh and while we are at it, let us relieve you of that troublesome green stuff in your pocket.

Your A/V says it all really.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   

The reason the stations were shut down was to raise opposition to the protestors! Why are you defending the establishment? Do you even know the reason for these protests in the first place? A man was shot and killed by BART officers. People were planning to protest this and BART blocked cell phone use in the stations so that they could not organize a PEACEFUL protest.

Is it really a travesty that someone had to walk home or was delayed getting somewhere? Did you even read the title of the thread? When you try to enact social change, i.e. putting an end to police shooting and killing unarmed people, you're going to step on some toes. You can't possibly think that the Civil Rights movement, the Women's Suffrage Movement, or Egyptian Revolution didn't cause "inconveniences" to people?
edit on 8/16/2011 by PhantomLimb because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   

They did it to keep the masses quite. This is just another form of divide that has been working for far to long! Welcome Master... others have been expecting you!

Peace, NRE.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by PhantomLimb

I think because of the riots and looting in England......TPTB....are being extra cautious in the United States.
edit on 16-8-2011 by caladonea because: correction

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
What happens in their country should not reflect on ours. That's just an excuse for the cops to put on all their new toys for pummeling protestors and to intimidate them into going home.

new topics

top topics

join