It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Actual size of the universe.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Absolutly beautiful!

S and F!!!!!

Wonderful job, OP!!!

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by old_god
This blows the theory that "god made man in his own image" completely out of the water.

"We are nothing but dust in the hands of the creator" - Me sometime in 2010 after staring at the sky for too long

Unless, that is, you hold to a monistic idealist (consciousness is primary) framework, as opposed to a materialist monist one (matter alone is primary), making of man, not a thing, but the culmination of a very very longggg cosmogenisis of consciousness. From that perspective, man can be viewed as made by consciousness for consciousness, and as the last, or the freshest and most recent manifestation, very possibly the crown of creation, and thus as "made in the image of God".
These things are not to be taken LITERALLY, regardless of what Churchianity has done with the wisdom of the ages.
Man is not a speck of dust, although I can't speak for anyone else. We hold the entire universe deep within, and are that.

Thou art that.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I never get tired of these comparisons. I think I am unable to comphend after Antares. The size of these objects is amazing and humbling to me.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Information like this just blows my mind.

Thanks for sharing OP.

Cheers

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by KatieVA
Does anyone else feel like they want to puke their intestines out when they see the size of those massive stars?
It's the type of thing I would have nightmares about. Truely terrifying!
Yes. I feel scared and ALONE. Because all this for just us???? How is it that we ended up in here???
I can only hope we have neighbors
around.
Its a mindtwisting thing to see it all so clearly.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Thoroughly enjoyed, thank you.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
So our universe isn't a flat pancake.
It is an hourglass just because we haven't mapped triangular sections of it yet.
And our universe is so vast in every direction that it is like a large sphere where there is a horizon in every direction that we can't see past.
edit on 16-8-2011 by ren1999 because: grammar

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Great information about how big the universe is, Excellent !
Now the real kicker to 'feeling small' is the fact that as Big as the Universe is; the world of
Quantum size goes further in SMALL than the Universe does in BIG.

Man, the whole concept is amazing.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

the image just below "and this..." looks like another of those "photo's" apposed to a computer graphic, i have several photo's of this kind, yet very few peeps ever query how a photo of this kind can ever be generated without actually being there to take the photo.

there's one photo i have that shows the sun from around 2.5 light years away in infrared and shows a binary, it isn't a graphic, one can only reach a single conclusion to how such photo's are taken....!

in fact this topic deserves a thread!

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I feel so smalll......

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
its beautiful, it renews my faith in life at the moment. it makes me think that even if this is it that im glad to know that there is more for all to expeirence and learn about, im talking about the universe of course and life to.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by technologicalsingularity

there's one photo i have that shows the sun from around 2.5 light years away in infrared and shows a binary, it isn't a graphic, one can only reach a single conclusion to how such photo's are taken....!

Uhm... Hello ? What are you waiting for ? Please show us that pic ?

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   

i'll consider doing a thread, my first thread on ats, so i'll keep you all in suspense while i collect all pix and write some gumph to compliment

edit on 16-8-2011 by technologicalsingularity because: spelling error

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Nice post Sinter;

Here's an animated gif I always liked, it shows the Earth in comparison to ever larger planets/stars.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d6d9ff56f6d6.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ren1999
So our universe isn't a flat pancake.
It is an hourglass just because we haven't mapped triangular sections of it yet.
And our universe is so vast in every direction that it is like a large sphere where there is a horizon in every direction that we can't see past.
edit on 16-8-2011 by ren1999 because: grammar

Very true...... We just know how big the Universe is from what we can visibly/Spectrally "see". For example, if the universe is 30 Billion light year wide, we haven't even had a chance for the light from over half of it to reach us. We could be nearer to one edge of the big bang and light hasn't had time to reach us from the other edge.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Just to put your hands around how large the biggest star is, if it were placed where the Sun is, it would extend past the orbit of Saturn. That's a big star. It would take over 7,000,000,000,000,000 (7 Quadrillion) Earths or 7,000,000,000 (7 Billion) Suns to fill VY Canis Majoris.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Excellent post Blackmarketeer. It really puts how small we are into perspective. It truely is awe inspiring.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I see things like this from time to time.They always make me feel so small.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
The obvious question to me is: how big is the universe to a blind man? How fast is the speed of light to a blind man? If we are all blind, then is the universe the exact same thing? There is a whole lot of absolutes going on based on the visual acuity of the human eye.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I really like how you put that into perspective, great job!

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join