It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Actual size of the universe.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas
Thank you all ! for the nice replies

The most amazing picture ever taken : Hubble Deep Field.

Hubble Deep Field in 3-D.

Hubble Ultra Deep Field- Looking to the end of time.

For the ones interested a must see... All 3 of them.
All I can say is omg alone?I think not!After looking at the hubble pictures no one can say,in all honesty we are the only intelligent life out there......Brilliant!and awe inspiring!
edit on 16-8-2011 by TWILITE22 because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-8-2011 by TWILITE22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Very nice pictures, good work on the tread.

"Journey to the edge of the universe" from National Geographic Channel got some incredible animation's.
Its a 2 hour show. First hour or so starts the journey on earth, moveing to the planets, sun and some of the moons. Second part of the show leave the solar system and venture into deepspace, passing beauties and abomination's of the universe.

Part 1/12 Earth, moon, Venus, Mercury.

Part 2/12 The Sun, Icecomet, Mars.

Part 3/12 Mars, Astroid belt, meteorites

Part 4/12 Jupitor, the moon Iio,

Part 5/12 The moon Europa, Saturn, the moon Titan

Part 6/12 Uranus, Neptune, Triton, Pluto, Sedna, leaving the solar system.

Part 7/12 Interstellar space, Alpha Centuri, epsilon, babystars, earthlike planet, other stars close to earth.

Part 8/12 Beatlegeause, starfactory's, exploded star, white dwarf's.

Part 9/12 Crabnebula (stellar graveyard), Pulsar's, Black hole's.

Part 10/12 Another starfactory, Milky Way, Death of a giant star, Hypernova, Zoom to eath (good perspective),

Part 11/12 Intergalactic space, Dark matter, Supernova, Andromeda Galaxy, Galaxycollision, passing other galaxy's. Quazar,

Part 12/12 Quazar, Supermassive black holes, young galaxy's, "the boarder", the singularity.

After leaving our universe You may be able to continue in the multiverse discussed here Bubbleuniverse.

edit on 16-8-2011 by Mimir because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Originally posted by bsalert
And earth does not even equate to a grain of salt in this universe and we are the only planet that has life
god you skeptics are beyond a joke!

And to whom is that directed? I doubt you'd find many, if any, ATS members disputing the possibility of life elsewhere.

Whether or not intelligent extraterrestrial life has found its way here, is the question. You find that amusingly absurd?

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

It's so beautiful, yet breathtaking at the same time. It's just mind boggling...

It just sucks that none of us will get to see the splendor of this universe...but what if when you die, your soul gets to travel the universe. Now wouldn't that be beyond awesome.

This literally brought tears to my eyes. Brilliant thread

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Here is good one too

Good that VY Canis Majoris is really far (4,900 ly), it will probably go hypernova in less than 100 000 years. When it goes off, strong gamma-ray bursts will doom many planets nearby. Scientist never knew that stars of this size exist, and this could be largest star we ever find. If it would be in our Sun's place, its radius would reach to orbit of Saturn, and it would take 7x10^15 Earth's to fill this star

edit on 16-8-2011 by Thebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
S+F for this. it is truly staggering the scale of the universe. but what makes it more staggering is that is just what we can see. there could be billions more galaxies out there too far out to be seen.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
WOW ! beautiful pics, fantastic post and brilliant read !!

the universe is a ridiculously amazing place that boggles my mind.....i cant even begin to comprehend how big it actually is.....because, well its [snip] infinitely massive !! ^.^

S & F baby....

fluffx

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I believe we are just scratching the surface. Many cosmologists believe we are just one of many universes (multiverses). The way I wrap my head around it (and still remain sane) is to imagine "universes" as grapes on a vine:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5f41b99e2994.jpg[/atsimg]

It does not make me feel insignificant, because I'm part of it "all".

A hundred years ago, astronomers were firmly convinced our Milky Way Galaxy was all there was, and those funny smudges they saw were just gas clouds or nebulae in our own Milky Way Galaxy. Hubble and others showed that those nebulae were in fact separate and distinct galaxies. It was a paradigm shift, get used to it.
edit on 16-8-2011 by Nicolas Flamel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
To fly beside the VV Cephei would like an endless wall of fire!

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Absolutely stunning! We cannot possibly understand the size of the Universe. Never ever. Unless we all turn out to be like Doctor Who lol

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

And yet with all that vastness there are some who think we are the only living things. How rideculous. Planets happen over and over again. Stars and galaxies happen over and over again. But life... only happened once...It's almost harder to believe that then to believe in aliens.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Recouper

interesting estimate, but I think there are a lot more bits being streamed and processed in one day, that that estimate for capacity, but I may be wrong. I think I read 12billion bits per second somewhere, but not positive.
That estimate you gave is for "A" potential storage, but remember, you can take stored data, and dump it, rewrite, and keep it cycling so there is no limit until the brain dies in my opinion. I can't explain it well with words, but if I could animate it, I could show you visually and better explain it.

I used to look up into space laying in sandy washes in arizona at night, and remember being amazed at how many suns there were in the sky. The universe is amazingly big, my original point is perspective, we know how big you can go roughly, but how small can you go? With math, you can go as far with small (fractions) as you can go as big (wholes), so that's why I made the comparison of the Universe to The Mind.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
That is only the visible spectrum of the Universe we are able to detect. Not only that, but this is only the Universe that exists in the extremely narrow time slot of immediately after the existence of pure "the present" as the stream of time transitions into eternal "all-the-past". Infinite pure space is the infinitesimal duration of "the present" which in turn (because it only exists for an infinitesimal duration) implodes into returning to the default state of absolute kinetic (time) as all the past. The instances of "the present" happening as a string of instances (probably) at Planck frequency.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

I think there may be an error or typo in your post.

Instead of Earth being 10 and Saturn being 100 AU from the Sun, I think it's 1AU and 10AU. The image that is labeled has these respective figures anyway.

One thing is that either way, it certainly doesn't appear to be scaled that way. Earth looks about halfway between Saturn and the Sun. Maybe I'm not realizing something though.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

I saw Uranus last night thanx to Jupiter as a reference. It was with a telescope and it was so extremely tiny, but still i could see the blu color. So distant but still local compared to the Milkyway. I love it

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
And remember all of this was made just for the human race.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Aw man that was fun! Thanks for the time you put into this!

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I think about this sometimes when I'm angry or sad because of something, it makes my problem seem insignificant

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
One thing I've always wondered:

How the HELL do they have a side shot of the Milkey Way galaxy, showing OUR POSITION, if we're inside of it?

Either they're lying to us and that's a pic of another galaxy or there's something they're not telling us about our space travel capabilities...

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Go outside and look up in the sky tonight. That dense band of stars is the side view of the Milkyway. They figured out where we are based on observations and they can make CG pictures depicting where we are. Yes, we have better capabilitys for spaceflight than the general public would belive but they are not flying outside our galaxy to take vanity shots of Earth.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join