It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Actual size of the universe.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Best thread i've seen all week.
s+f

try this Scale of the universe

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Thank you all ! for the nice replies

The most amazing picture ever taken : Hubble Deep Field.

Hubble Deep Field in 3-D.

Hubble Ultra Deep Field- Looking to the end of time.

For the ones interested a must see... All 3 of them.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
what's even more fascinating is the size of the human "mind" (not brain)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by N34Li3Z

I can't say I think it is more fascinating, but at least just as.

I'm curious about your reason to post that. Please make a thread on that topic. U2U when it's done.
I'd appreciate it.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
When I look at the deep field pics, I start to think about the near infinite number of "people" (sentient beings or whatever) out there living their lives, doing God knows what, maybe even looking at the speck of a Milky Way galaxy thinking the exact same thing that I am. Makes me feel like I'm a part of something much bigger than what goes on here on this little blue planet.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

I find it fascinating, because we are technologically advanced enough to build and design tools for measuring the universe, yet we have nothing to measure the size of the ethereal "mind" and as a matter of fact, there is nothing we currently have to "PROVE" that the mind exists, technically, as it can't be measured, viewed, etc.

Makes me think of a line in a movie from Total Recall, "Quato's gonna look inside that black hole you call a brain"

referring to a singularity, not an ordinary black hole. I think all the data in the universe ten times over could fit inside the mind, the fact is, we do not know the capacity of the mind in terms of it's power, or its data storage limit-only of the brain, a physical object, the mind is a construct which can't be described using math; only attempts by philosphy.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
What I have a hard time wraping my head around is the size of VV Cephei. Its frackin mindboggeling HUGE!!!
How can somthing sooo massive not turn into a black hole on itself? yet it the star is there. So if this star can still be a star without imploding that just gives you a hint of how much more mass you need to create a black hole. Our cosmos absolutly amazes me everytime.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
how do you post pictures right in the thread?

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by N34Li3Z

I could be wrong, but I suspect that the size of the mind (data capacity of the human mind) is known.

I'll have a look into it and see if I can dig something up... brb.
edit on 16/8/2011 by Recouper because: corrected typing mistake

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Talltexxxan

Well actually a black hole is what's left when a star that was more massive then our Sun collapsed.

Stars fight a constant war against gravity, the mass of any star is so immense that it pulls everything in, but...
Stars fight this pull by fusing hydrogen, and Helium and heavier elements until nothing but iron is left. The fussion creates such enormous outwards energy the star can exist.

The bigger the star the sooner it looses its battle. Cause a bigger mass means a bigger pul which demands a more rapid fuel fusion. That's why stars like Eta Carina only get 5 to 10 million years old... But our Sun which is pretty small with less gravity it has to fuse far less to maintain a stable state. Red Dwarfs can get way older then our Sun can
A star looses its battle it collapses triggering a gigantic explosion called a hyper nova. When its mass
was high enough it leaves a black hole. A singularity where gravity has ripped a tiny hole in the fabric of space and time pulling everything in that is close enough to get caught by its gravitational field.

Well that's about what they say...

To answer your question. The star does not collapse because it burns enough of its fuel to maintain a stable
.state, although it runs out in just a few million years. Where our Sun can last like 10 billion years

It could just as well be something else all together
edit on 8/16/2011 by Sinter Klaas because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/16/2011 by Sinter Klaas because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by N34Li3Z

It looks like there is no definite answer, but there are estimates. Here is one:

"The brain contains 10^11
neurons -- in other words, 100 giganeurons. Each one has synapses
connecting it to up to 1000 other neurons. Many researchers believe that
memories are stored as patterns of synapse strengths. If we suppose that the strength of each synapse can take on any of 256 values, then each synapse corresponds to a byte of memory. This gives a total of (very roughly) 100 terabytes for the brain." - answerbag.com
edit on 16/8/2011 by Recouper because: Fixed typo.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Truely amazing. Basically we're nothing but a pi$$ and a fart in front of a super thunder

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
What better way to visualize the vastness of space than to fly among the stars yourself?

Space Engine
edit on 16/8/11 by Maslo because: fixed link

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
So, there are stars bigger than our solar system...
Way bigger!

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I thought for a second you took some of my images

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 16-8-2011 by roughycannon because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Bless you for making this thread...
s&f

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Nice thread mate.

But I feel so small now...

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
And earth does not even equate to a grain of salt in this universe and we are the only planet that has life
god you skeptics are beyond a joke!

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Now, if you can imagine those living in the quantum universe see us in the same way. Our whole universe just may be the size of an atom in someone elses universe.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   

The only word I can think of to describe the universe is "stunning"and "breathtaking"even though you have given us a comparison to the size,its just too unimaginable to comprehend the size of the universe.I've looked up at the stars and wondered where does it end ?does it end?I can't imagine forever....these questions really blow my mind....good job,beautiful pics,thanks for reminding us how small we really are!(I mean that in the best way)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join