It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Actual size of the universe.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+129 more 
posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Ok. I know this is a topic that has had its share of threads. However this one will be a bit different.
I'm going to show you how huge our solar system is, and after that our galaxy and beyond...

I will start with our moon that is in orbit around our planet.

The average distance is about 30 earth's diameters, or 384.300 km / 238.792 mi.

1 pixel is 600 km / 372.822 mi.
But... because of its elliptical orbit it varies between 363.000 km and 405.500 km.

You can compare the earth as big as a basketball and the moon as a golf ball marble with lets say a full American football field in between, for a good idea about how far that really is.

Image credit: NASA/Jet Propulsion Laboratory/Arizona State University

The total surface area of the moon is about as big as the surface of Africa... So although it's one of the biggest moons in the solar system it's actually quite small.

Our moon dwarfs when you start comparing it with our solar systems neighbors.
Planets compared to Jupiter

[mg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a483c929bbc4.gif[/img]

Is it not mind boggling ?

Here is another pic. I liked.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cc3f1261ef30.jpeg[/atsimg]

And this one is a bit more compete.

In our solar system we use the term AU or astronomical unit. 1 AU is the distance between Earth and the Sun.
There is about 100 AU in between the Sun and Saturn, or 100 times the distance from Earth to the Sun.
Proxima Centauri our closest neighboring star is about 271,000 AU from our sun, or 4.22 light years.

So light needs about 8 minutes to get here. It needs about 4 .22 years to get to Proxima Centauri

These are the closest neighboring stars from our Sun. The diameter starting from our Sun reaches out only 15 light years.

But... It gets more amazing.

You might have learned that our Sun is just a small one classified as a yellow dwarf. The size comparison really blows your mind when you place our Sun next to other stars... Remember these stars are all found within our own galaxy...

The Sun with planets :

Our Sun next to Sirius...

Arcturus next to Antares...

Antarus isn't even the largest star known to man... There are stars even bigger...

And...

Please... Just one more to look at

Remember these stars are only just stars, and they are part of even more massive places like Nebula's.

The Lagoon Nebula is part of the galaxies inner parts...

CREDIT: ESO/VVV Acknowledgment: Cambridge Astronomical Survey Unit

Several planetary Nebula's. These Nebula's are the remnants of stars as they blew out their final layers of gas, leaving only a white dwarf in the center to fade away eventually.

And some more...

From this point on we move to even bigger Nebula's the so called "Stellar Nurseries"
The Cat's paw Nebula from our own Milky way.

And the Carina Nebula where there have already been stars going hyper nova.
It's also near our own region in the galaxy.

Link

Most famous star in there is Eta Carina which has around 100 times the mass of our Sun and is ready to pop.
The giant dust clouds are from an earlier release of it's solar matter.

Remember... All these stuff is still within our own Milky way...

It sort of looks like this...

and this...

Now imagin the Milky way being part of a cluster of galaxies which is also part of a super cluster of galaxies...
Imagine that to be only one of many super clusters and still.... you are only far from imagining the universe its true size...

Hubble focused on a patch of sky no bigger then the surface of stamp on an empty spot in the sky.... What it saw shocked the scientists that were behind this experiment...

Every dot on that pic. is a galaxy like our own existing of billions of stars and planets. There are thousands on just this one pic of empty sky the size of a stamp... Imagine that !

~ Sinter

edit on 8/16/2011 by Sinter Klaas because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

It truely is awh inspiring. check these out for more visuals:
www.sergebrunier.com...
www.newgrounds.com...

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
having a scroll bar at the bottom of the larger pics would help, some are cutoff, pretty cool though

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   
This vid is one of my favorites :

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Brilliant post, thank you, the best i've seen of its kind. Puts the universe in to some kind of perspective, though it is still difficult to comprehend the vast scale of things, and how insignificant planet earth is....

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Vast, the universe is vast meaning it's too big to know

Wasn't this discussed in a book or something ?

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
I know it is possible... Does anyone know how to ad the pics with a scroll bar ?

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   

star and flag

great thread that makes you think,
here is my favourite picture

the true scale of the universe is really quite staggering
thank you

xploder

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   

To display images with a horizontal scroll bar, just use the [img] coding tags instead of the [atsimg] tags.
You can probably still get back into your post and edit them. Just remove the "ats" from the image codes and all will be good.

BTW, very nice post, OP! Starred and flagged.

Regards,

Mike

link   
That picture is gorgeous, and that is just in our solar system alone. I wonder what else is out there.

link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Thank you ! It was my pleasure

Originally posted by JustMike

Thank you I got it

edit on 8/16/2011 by Sinter Klaas because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Amazing S&F

It does make you question the significance of us....and the numerous possibilities where we go after we leave this body...maybe we are just worm food, but on the other hand given the size of the universe and the complexity of it...we may just start off somewhere else in another body unaware of where we had been before.

Who knows eh lol, thanks for the thread, this thing really interests me

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   
WOW!!

Thanks for that.

As for the pictures, I right clicked and selected view image to see them.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas
I know it is possible... Does anyone know how to ad the pics with a scroll bar ?

yes i do if you upload your pictures in the correct size (oversize) they will get the scoll bars
goto,
tools,
pictures,
personal upload,
name it,
notes on link or copy or credits
find the file on your computer and upload,
when upload completes,
click on the image of the picture,(left click) it opens,
underneith the picture is a file path like this.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6e768a888ee8 dot jpg
click select all then when higlighted click copy,
click on the image box and paste onto pop up box
click ok,

at least thats what i do
hope it helps
xploder

+7 more 
posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Sure glad God made all of that just for us and us alone.

nice thread, makes one feel both completely insignificant, yet curiously more greatful for having the honor of existing within the vastness for a blink.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
AMAZING, S&F, i really like this thread.

Also i once found a website thats called the scale of the universe, i think its really cool, you can scrol from what we know are the smallest particles, to the biggest known solar systems universal size itself.. Really cool, i think i even got it via ATS.

primaxstudio.com...

Enjoy

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
the images are cool but

it's beyond our comprehension.

it's so big it's stupid. we see 14bill lys in the past.

the past, what's there now and where is it, are they?

no frikkin clue, lol!

edit on 16-8-2011 by fooks because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Yep. I feel even more insignificant now

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Nice thread.
It brought to mind this. . .

In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."
- Douglas Adams

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Does anyone else feel like they want to puke their intestines out when they see the size of those massive stars?
It's the type of thing I would have nightmares about. Truely terrifying!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join