It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scared in Florida

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I live in Florida, I have my whole life. Recently Rick Scott got elected as governor. I was watching the local news (something I rarely do) at a bar and couldn't believe the attacks on Governor Scott; these attacks lasted the whole segment. If anyone lives in Florida they have seen what is going on, since his first day there has been an all out attack on Scott by the media and the far left. They aired a segment about how you can now leave Governor Scott a voicemail and were giving sample voicemails such as "you are evil", "I hate you", and "please die". I recently called Governor Scott and told him how happy I am that he is my Governor and to never get discouraged and stick to his principles no matter what because he has the support (even if quietly) of myself and many of my friends. Naturally, when I hear crap like this I tend to fight back and I intended on doing so by covering my car in pro-Scott bumper stickers. I am afraid to do this however, the hate for him is so loud in Florida that I feel like I will be assaulted for doing so. I know this pertains to a local Governor and won't appeal to the majority of users but are there any Floridians that have seen this? Republicans or Democrats, it doesn't matter, I have never seen such hate before in my life and I want to hear your stories. Thanks for listening!

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
...you shouldve included some basic info about why folks dont like him and a few links about the man... a lot of us are kinda spoiled - want things at our fingertips, lol... here, lemme help you out...

en.wikipedia.org...

www.flgov.com...

www.politico.com...

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by BrianC

I live in St. Johns County which votes 65%+ for the Republican candidate at every level of state and national government. While his approval rating may be down around 31% state-wide it is a good 50% or so up here. Most people who dislike are not vile in their hatred and those who like him are not enthusiastic about him. I personally think he is doing an okay job as governor of the state, he now has us as #2 in job creation so far this year, has dramatically cut government (which has led to most of the anger) and has pretty much done exactly what he told everyone he was going to do.

Perhaps they are angry because it never occurred to them that a politician would actually do what they said during the campaign they would do. Either way I did vote for Alex Sink in 2010 but have no problem with Scott. He will probably have my support in 2014.

www.miamiherald.com...

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

Well, that wasn't the purpose of my thread but thanks for contributing, just be a little less condescending.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Maybe living in a more Republican area you aren't as privy to the hatred. I live in St. Pete and it is unreal, it was in Orlando when I lived there as well. Thanks for the link and contributing

edit on 16-8-2011 by BrianC because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Scott is certainly a step up from the Obama accolyte stealth progressive Charlie Crist. Sorry you are feeling concern for your safety. Seems a lot of Progressives feel they have a right to physically beat up people who disagree with their opinions.
edit on 16-8-2011 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by BrianC

Rick? That you?

Florida Gov. Rick Scott is so unpopular that he has to write his own fan mail.

According to the Orlando Sentinel, Gov. Rick Scott has started his own Astroturf movement. Scott’s website contains letters that have been written by his own campaign staff that can be signed and emailed to one of seven different Sunshine State newspapers

A Desperate Rick Scott Astroturfs His Own Fan Mail

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by BrianC

I think you need to chill out a little bit.
You do realize it is politics right? You are a perfect example of what is wrong with the average American. And nice job insulting the poster who was trying to help you.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Subjective Truth

How was my post the least bit insulting? I do believe hers was and I think a good number of members will agree with me but it seems as though you were letting politics blur your vision.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
May your bumper stickers save lives, and make a true difference in this crazy, mixed up world.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I would have been more scared under the leadership of your former governor, Jeb Bush.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
It breaks my heart that he has to write his own fan mail. :-(

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by jonathan0220

The article offers no proof though, only an assumption by a left-leaning outlet. This is exactly what my post was talking about.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrianC
reply to post by jonathan0220

The article offers no proof though, only an assumption by a left-leaning outlet. This is exactly what my post was talking about.

The proof is linked right in the article. Something tells me that you never even checked.

LET ME HELP YOU OUT

With a link directly to the letter itself from the Gov. himself. Tell me what proof is missing.

Email a Newspaper Editor
June 14th, 2011
Support Governor Scott’s agenda by sending a letter to your newspaper editor. Below is form copy, but please feel free to customize it specific to your support. Thank you for taking action!Email a Newspaper Editor
June 14th, 2011

Dear Editor,

When Rick Scott ran for Governor he promised to create jobs and turn our economy around. I voted for Rick because he’s always been a businessman, not a politician. While politicians usually disappoint us and rarely keep their promises, Rick is refreshing because he’s keeping his word. His policies are helping to attract businesses to our state and get people back to work. Some of the special interests are attacking the Governor for making tough decisions, showing leadership, and doing what he told us he would do. Rick Scott deserves our unwavering and enthusiastic support. How can we expect to elect leaders who will keep their word and do what’s right for our state if we don’t stand up for those with the courage to set priorities, make difficult choices, and actually deliver on their promises made?
RickScottforFlorida.com

edit on 16-8-2011 by Kitilani because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrianC

How was my post the least bit insulting? I do believe hers was and I think a good number of members will agree with me but it seems as though you were letting politics blur your vision.

My vision has never been clearer. Lets see if you agree the left vs right crap is just a game to keep the sheep grazing.

I equally hate both sides of the isle. They are all liars. And yet the sheep still follow them.

Let's argue about this or that and who has the better plan and all the while the American dream slips farther and farther away. I wonder if it ever really existed in the first place.

edit on 16-8-2011 by Subjective Truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   

I wonder if it ever really existed in the first place.

I saw a documentary film not long before I joined this forum which made the claim that the American Dream was a creation of the original owners of the big movie studios. Though the film pointed out that these owners were all Jewish immigrants from the same small region of Europe, it also pointed out that they had also made every effort to divorce themselves from Judaism in the eyes of the public. That they felt they were American first, religion came second. Can't remember the name of the film though. Sorry.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by BrianC

Regardless of who this politician is I'd like to focus my response on you.

You want to defend this man and you're already aware of the backlash so when your car gets damaged or you're accosted, then you should not feel surprised.

The question then come to this.

Is the politician 'worth it' to you? If he is, and you feel you'll have regrets not taking a public stand then by all means get going on those bumper-stickers and lawn signs!

If not? Well. You've learned to pick your fights and it's always a good thing to balance your own well-being against your morals. It's a great lesson in teaching you - who you are.

There are some fights that leave us no choice but to get involved. That's the question you'll have to ask yourself. For you, is this one of those fights?

Whatever the answer you're on a great journey of self exploration and learning. You should be proud of yourself!

peace

edit on 16-8-2011 by silo13 because:

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I'm always amazed to see the right wing crybabies whining about being picked on.

Are the conservative right wingers always nice to their opponents? No....it's politics with all its acrimony, snotty comments and outright slander coming from both sides. Michael Savage wants to kill progressives!!!

Man up Brian......If you can't run with the big dogs; stay on the porch.

Politics in the long run is just entertainment for the puppet masters and has little relevance to you and me.
edit on 16-8-2011 by whaaa because: code C code

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Most of the local hatred that I hear is because of cuts he made within the prison system, which affect employees. The reason being that my area (Northwest Florida) has a lot of prisons and Corrections Jobs are some of the best paying jobs in the area. This area is quite different than Southern Florida where I grew up, so the reasons may differ somewhat by area. This area is also has a large number of welfare recipients, but I haven't heard anyone complaining about the institution of the urinalysis to qualify. People have kinda shifted to using drugs that stay in the system less than 72 hours, rather than the one's that are detectable longer. Perhaps that has something to do with it. It's sad that the urinalysis has caused so many to move to harder drugs, but I think most of us saw that coming. Duh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Other than that coming from corrections officers, I haven't really heard any hatred...

Just for the record, I'm pretty sure this area votes mostly Democrat (most of them blindly)...
edit on 8/16/2011 by visualmiscreant because: added content

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth
reply to post by BrianC

nice job insulting the poster who was trying to help you.

...appreciate your effort, st... i was surprised by brian's response to my initial post but it wont ruin my day... it does, however, make a person wonder if his behavior is indicative of the those who support rick scott...

top topics

join