It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can i escape society...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by turpen

There's nothing wrong with that, and for the right persons... it is a good life. I still live very much like that, we heat with wood, we raise much of our own food, we raise and sell livestock, have a massive garden all year and in season, we barter... we also have hot running water and the internet and a toaster oven is so nice on so many levels.

But sometimes it does get overwhelming.

True story...I had been living in a cabin for about 3 years at this point and a buddy asked me to be his designated driver on a certain Kareoke Night at a local hot spot. he would buy me all the non- alcoholic drinks I wanted if I drove him there and back. Ok...sure.

We got there and by the middle of the evening, this good looking blonde invites us back to her house. OK...sure.

She asks if we want to get into the hottub with her. OK...sure.

She gets in and then gets out to go for a couple of beers. My buddy and myself agreed that whatever happened ...well happened...first come first served...so to speak.

After a few minutes, the hot water bubbling around me felt so good... it had been 3 years since I was in a shower or tub. When she got up and out again, I leaned over to my buddy and said...Man, you can have her, I am staying right here.

My point is this...it may take a couple of months to build a sturdy and yet primitive cabin from logs...and then to clear the ground for the garden and pasture area for the animals...and then the fences and outbuildings... we are talking about a year or two to get to where my original post picked up.

Try splitting/shaving off a few hundred wood shingles or drawing up water on a cold winter morning or how about a sudden wind blows the wrong way and backdrafts chimney smoke back into your cabin so thick, you have to open up all the windows and doors...let out the heat, let in the cold, and you smell like a SlimJim.

It's a good life, just not for everyone.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

That's like a leisurely vacation for me. Where every problem has a solution and there is no tech barrier to break through. Just try repairing a broken hottub yourself. There's a reason people give those things away in the Craigslist free section.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by 8fl0z

I dont want to "go off the grid"

Yes you do. That's EXACTLY what you stated.

Thing is, it's illegal, because you have to OWN the land you build a house on, etc. And, if you want power, etc., you'll have to pay for it, unless you make it yourself...or at least buy the materials if solar, etc.

Thing is, it's tricky to really go completely off grid and escape society. Even if you buy land outright, there's taxes each year. So, somehow, you have to make some money.

With water, at least you can have a well, and not pay for that...though, unless you're a sucker for the old days, you'll want an electric powered pump.

Takes money to get away from the world...and keeps taking it to stay that way...

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Your all my people. By the way, I tried to do this and ended up in the mental hospital. Your gonna have to return to civilization sooner or later, and people are gonna think your crazy, but good luck if you decide to go through with it. Just Learn how to make fire the old fashioned way, invest in a backpacking water filter, buy a knife, an axe to chop wood, a shovel to dig a hole to poop, sleeping bag, warm clothes, books, fishing pole, a shotgun, citizenship papers in case the authorities give you any trouble, and any other supplies that might come in handy I cant really think of any more. Also I know it sounds contradictory but after having done this and failed I realized I'm always gonna need things that society has to offer and since I thought that society was so corrupt I decided to get a sociology degree and try to make a difference but I am still after my dream of eventually departing from civilization as much as I can and becoming self sustainable. The one benefit of working is a retirement fund then you can have your dream and if you plan on depending on society for anything whatsoever this is the avenue to take

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: 8fl0z

I want to die

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I don't see very many people taking you seriously. Most of my family are dead, and after numerous years of enduring the insanity of modern society, I find myself harkening to the days when my parents chose to isolate us from society.

The reality is that you must have money, unless you can find a commune or other group to take you in. If this were 200+ years ago, you could take yourself to a monestary or nunnery, cloistering yourself from society. There is an island that will supposedly give you land. www.immigration.pn...

Check this out, since you are still young. Good luck to you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join