It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moodys lowers US economic outlook, 1 in 3 chance of new recession

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

NEW YORK (AP) — Moody's Analytics on Monday lowered its outlook for growth in the U.S. economy this year and next, saying it sees "significantly weaker" prospects for the economy than just a month ago as the country struggles to avoid another recession.

"The odds of a renewed recession over the next 12 months, already one in three, will increase if stock prices continue to fall," Mark Zandi, chief economist for Moody's Analytics, says in the report. He said the economy must grow 2.5 percent to 3 percent a year to add jobs fast enough to keep the unemployment rate stable — something that won't happen soon.

This dosent look like it will give the economy high hopes at the moment. It will be interesting to see how the stocks react to this statement throughout the week.

The article says the debt-deal shuffle is still hanging over the economy, along with the European debt crisis. If the markets get more worried about those situations, then there may be more swings in the stocks in the near future. I doubt the markets will 'settle' for an extended period of time soon.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
i have a feeling the markets wont like this in morning, seems lately that any little bad news sends the markets all over the place, people are nervous and waiting to see what will happen. the more bad news comes out the bigger the snowball!

edit-markets are all slightly lower in pre-market
edit on 16-8-2011 by kutcorners because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by kutcorners

Tomorrow will be an interesting watch. The slightest disturbance can send markets flailing. Im not sure how this will play out in other markets, but I doubt it will be too good for the US markets.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
the u.s. post layoffs will not help one bit , that is if congress approves of them (too big to fail?), 120000 layoffs...no too good!

money.cnn.com...

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Moodys will never downgrade the US. Berkshire Hathaway (Warren Buffett) is a top investor.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Well Obama hasn't blown anything off in a while so I guess he has a new issue to ignore now. The thrill of brushing aside the S and P downgrade while the country shouts their anger at him has worn off, he needs a new controversy to get people riled up over him

new topics

top topics

join