It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Buys Motorola

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
The future of the web and mobile got shook earlier today when Google announced plans to buy the mobile phone maker Motorola. Google's actions also gave a surge to the US's horrid economic outlook.

www.forbes.com...

But there's a couple of problems:

Wasn't Android's promise to customers that they were going to be the Open-Source Operating System?

However, it was Motorola Phones that were the hardest to Root. Also Motorola loads up their own crap onto the phones Motoblur (which eats battery life)

Google claims its only patent related to save themselves from their own lawsuits, but that's just a cover leaving other phone carriers in the dust.

Microsoft has been trying to build momentum for its Windows Phone 7 ever since it came out and now...It's got it's answer. All these phone makers will have nowhere to go, because as Apple has it's own phone maker, now Google is seemingly locking itself in tightly with Motorola. Windows Phone 7? Everyone else!

But is Motorola really superior to everyone else? Will variety hurt or help Windows? Will this new deal hurt or help Google?

Will the Google Brand replace Motorola's on Android Phones?

I think that it is crucial for people to keep a close eye on both Google and Apple. As I have been doing for the past couple years. Remember, Google still has a lot of cash and its rumored that they are still shopping around for more companies. Apple? Well, don't worry, it's still got more money than the US government!!! With the Google deal, i'm sure Steve Jobs has something up his sleeve.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
When it comes to Google purchasing the Mobile business side of Motorola it all depends on if they are going to go the iPhone route and use proprietary hardware or if they are just going to have a more integrated option for consumers. It really isn't good or bad.

Slightly off topic but relevant, I'm about to revert back to "dumbphones". All these "smartphones" people have - have more power than desktop computers had 10 years ago is crazy. Think about it like this. Your desktop could run photoshop an internet browser and a few other things now your phone can do all that too, yet it runs multiple apps, it's all really getting to the point where you would need to be a security expert to make sure your phone isn't compromised or acting in someway that it shouldn't.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Oh give it a break - Google simply bought MM for their patent potential.

Motorola Mobile is a dead soul today, as is RIM.

RIM's only value today - like Motorola is the patents they own.

EOS

edit on 16-8-2011 by leo123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by leo123

Explain what patent potential is and what is going on with it and why this move helps Google in that area.

From what I understand Google is being ganged up on and this move allows them to be able to defend themselves from frivolous patent litigation. Would that be correct?

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Timing
When it comes to Google purchasing the Mobile business side of Motorola it all depends on if they are going to go the iPhone route and use proprietary hardware or if they are just going to have a more integrated option for consumers. It really isn't good or bad.

Slightly off topic but relevant, I'm about to revert back to "dumbphones". All these "smartphones" people have - have more power than desktop computers had 10 years ago is crazy. Think about it like this. Your desktop could run photoshop an internet browser and a few other things now your phone can do all that too, yet it runs multiple apps, it's all really getting to the point where you would need to be a security expert to make sure your phone isn't compromised or acting in someway that it shouldn't.

Google has goals to have a library of every ones DNA This is no conspiracy. More profit for a growing mega company is not good.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by leo123
Oh give it a break - Google simply bought MM for their patent potential.

Motorola Mobile is a dead soul today, as is RIM.

RIM's only value today - like Motorola is the patents they own.

EOS

edit on 16-8-2011 by leo123 because: (no reason given)

Give it a break? Well I don't see any other threads about this topic on the site, and I usually turn to the recent posts on this site for breaking news. So, this topic is freshly new here. Secondly, Google's been gobbling up patents for awhile now. They surely have an angle with Motorola. And Google's been sleeping with Motorola and both are tightly linked together with Verizon. They are getting so big that, they are monopolizing and profiteering off the mobile internet!
edit on 16-8-2011 by jjf3rd77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by sabbathcrazy

First, where is the article on Google wanting a DNA library of everyones DNA? Second, how is that any different than the government wanting the same thing? Third which one do you find intrusive to your privacy, Google or the government? Google you can say no and take to court, the government tells you no and puts you in jail. Fourth of all if you don't like it then turn off your computer turn off your TV and unplug.

Second off, the actions of Apple and Microsoft just show the Android is a major market competitor so they are attempting to head them off anyway they can. Which is probably the most logical reason for them to buy Motorola's mobile business as Motorola already has 4g patents and a whole slew of other mobile business devices that will put them in head to head competition against Apple.

Should be interesting to see what happens.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by jjf3rd77

Motorola was the strongest of the weakest links of Android. They were really screwing up the Android vision, IMO, by locking everything down. But on the other hand, the patents that they hold are brilliant. With Google in control, Android on Moto should become open again (hopefully goodbye to Motoblur), and Google can utilize Android to it's full potential on arguably the best cell phone maker out there.

I think this move was just a big middle finger to Apple. Google now owns the OS and the patents for the hardware, just like Apple does.

--"Our Mobile Devices business segment will have approximately 14,600 granted patents and 6,700 pending patent applications, worldwide. Our patent portfolio includes numerous patents related to various industry standards, including 2G, 3G, 4G, H.264, MPEG-4, 802.11, open mobile alliance (OMA) and near field communications (NFC)." (www.motorola.com...​onsumers/US-EN/About_Motor​ola/Technology/Approach).--

Google is going to bank big.

The game is now on, and everyone knows that competition breeds excellence.

Edit: Nokia has priority on Windows phones, if I am not mistaken. Each smartphone OS company now has their own hardware developer.
edit on 8/16/2011 by Lemon.Fresh because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join