It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question about Social Security numbers and health insurance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I will start by saying that I'm not sure I chose the correct forum for this and that I'm not looking for "legal advice" from any members. What I am looking for is anyone who may have had a similar experience and what the circumstances and outcomes of their particular situations were. Please don't post your opinion or what you think I should do without first describing your experience that relates to my current predicament. So, here is what I'm facing.

I have a child that is 3 years old that does not have a social security number. I just made it through a 90-day probationary period at a new job, and I'm now eligible for company provided insurance that I absolutely do want. However, in my employee benefits material it states at the top of the insurance election form that all dependents must have a social security number or they will not receive any benefits. Currently, I pay for private insurance that covers my child through a well-known nation-wide provider that did not require a social security number for my child. Furthermore, the same health insurance company that is offered by my current employer was my provider at the time of the child's birth and for more than a year later; and I was never forced to provide a SS# then either.

I do not have any desire to attain a SS# for my child for a multitude of reasons and would like to know if someone else has faced this issue before and how that scenario unfolded and was ultimately resolved.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
It's the insurance company's choice to have a policy that requires their customers to have a SSN. You don't have a "right" to have health insurance, so you have to play by the rules the insurance company gives you.

Just get the kid a SSN. He/she is going to need one eventually if he/she ever plans to have a job.

join