It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it possible for a Ghost to live in another person's body? Take over it?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
It's sort of like the drop containing the essence of the whole ocean, while simultaneously being absorbed into the ocean. Just a thought.
edit on 17/8/11 by NocturnalPhantom because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by NocturnalPhantom

oh that is fantastic! You explained that so well.

It is complicated though and I feel like my head is spinning when I try to comprehend it!
or apply it to my understanding.
I mean it is pretty hard to grasp...the subject of ghosts, collective consciousness etc is very hard to grasp.

I suppose when I read some things, especially what you have written, the info goes into my brain and hits the 'unknown' area and it just stays there! lol

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just don't have the knowledge so I cannot explain stuff that I experience... for eg:
I keep feeling a presence...that is the only way I could describe it and it feels like the ghost becomes me...
then to read on the website... 'body sheath' I was like...YES that is the feeling.

so with phenomena like 'consciousness' that is another area where I experience things but do not have or know the words to describe it.

edit on 18-8-2011 by Thurisaz because: to add

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

It's an idea I've been toying with for a long time. I spoke about it a little in my old account but this is the first time I've mentioned it since, because I've had a lot of reading up to do relating to it. I think that the physical world, including our brains are figments of this supermind. Obviously it's not a dogmatically held faith position or anything, just something I've always felt.

What we don't know is more interesting than what we do know.
edit on 18/8/11 by NocturnalPhantom because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   

The way I think of consciousness is a mind that is aware enough for its internal map of its surroundings to include itself within it, comprehending that map. When you think of it like that it's a bit easier to grasp, I find.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by NocturnalPhantom
It's sort of like the drop containing the essence of the whole ocean, while simultaneously being absorbed into the ocean. Just a thought.

sort of like osmosis...

water absorbtion and evaporation (that occurs simultaneously)

...so the ocean (salt water) evaporates whilst reabsorbing itself....whilst still being the ocean...

edit on 18-8-2011 by Thurisaz because:

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Think of it this way: You exist as an individual (the drop), you "die", and become reabsorbed back into the collective mind, the same way a drop of rain falls into the ocean. Everything that made the drop still exists, but it is no longer discontinuous, but is part of something much bigger, but still ultimately of its own essence (water). Sort of.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   

double post!
edit on 18/8/11 by NocturnalPhantom because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   

and the osmosis could apply to our thoughts...thoughts going in and going out...being processed and stored as memories to make up a knowledge base.

Scientists say humans are essentially water...I watched the movie 21 grams and it claimed that the 'soul' or essence of a person weighed 21 grams. if that is true, then perhaps the essence of us being water is consciousness...that can be absorbed into our essence and leaving us by way of evaporation?

with respect to those that are ghosts?

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Well the water thing is only an analogy. What we are really talking about is mind. But whereas most people think of mind as an internal working of the brain, I see it as something external that our brains tap into. Our brains then filter the stream of consciousness it gets from the collective and the individual brains functioning is what creates the individual personality. But once our brain dies, our stream of consciousness is no longer being filtered through a brain, but remains part of the much bigger supermind.

Sometimes, as our brains tap into the ocean of mind all around us, they may pick up pieces of former living people who have not yet been fully reabsorbed, which we then perceive as a ghost.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   

The way I think of consciousness is a mind that is aware enough for its internal map of its surroundings to include itself within it, comprehending that map. When you think of it like that it's a bit easier to grasp, I find.

very interesting...!!

I read a book years ago about micro organisms...bacteria. I did a post about it but people weren't too interested. What was thoroughly amazing was that bacteria demonstrated 'consciousness'...

the thread was called 'consciousness of a microbe'....

at such a minute level to see order and structure within their 'environment' was astounding and it leads me to believe that whatever we are and whatever level we have consciousness.

I am really enjoying reading your posts... so thank you !!

edit on 18-8-2011 by Thurisaz because: edit to add quote

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   

You're welcome! Yes, if even a microbe has the apparatus to tap into the "ocean of mind" around us then it may have consciousness. It's not an if, but just a matter of degree.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I suppose possession could occur if our brain were to draw from the collective mind a piece of consciousness that was still unabsorbed enough to remain as a distinct entity. By drawing that entity into itself, it would effectively have two people inside of it.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Well the water thing is only an analogy. What we are really talking about is mind. But whereas most people think of mind as an internal working of the brain, I see it as something external that our brains tap into. Our brains then filter the stream of consciousness it gets from the collective and the individual brains functioning is what creates the individual personality. But once our brain dies, our stream of consciousness is no longer being filtered through a brain, but remains part of the much bigger supermind.

That sounds similar to the theories about the higher self... that is external to us....

I went to see the metaphysical mastery tour in Melbourne years back and saw Deepak Chopra and others for the day. It was very good. He spoke about those things...saying that your higher self (the mind) was above our body and connected to all other higher selves.

Pity he didn't elaborate how that would/could be applied to people who have died....

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   

I would love to have been there. I don't read a lot of that stuff though. I get most of my ideas by daydreaming and thinking about stuff, usually while walking my dog through my local woods. I don't know where you live but I live in England where most people think you need locking up if you're interested in anything to do with paranormal/metaphysics!

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I'm currently thinking about trying to find some kind of meditation technique that might allow us to reach into the collective mind and experience Being on that much bigger level. Maybe that's what shamans and mediums do.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   

I went and 'absorbed' the info...some of which I allowed to evaporate very quickly and other info I held onto

but... this is quite funny but I went out of the thread and was vaguing off cos I was still thinking about this thread and then I was reading another thread and then went A HA!

came back with an afterthought!! and then forgot what I had thought!!

Remembered:
"if we are reabsorbed back to the super-mind when we die...then who does the super-mind belong to?"
People suggest it is Gods...but I think we call anything that is unknown God...

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Reply to post by Thurisaz

A spirit can not enter body if your spirit is still in it. You can tell by the speech, also ask something that only that person would know. But, not something that has been heavily talked about.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I'm thinking of spirit as pure consciousness rather than an individual personality. Others may have totally different ideas, of course. Ultimately no-one really knows.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   

oh wow... I do believe in Shamans... I had a massage from a guy years back and while he was massaging me, I could not feel it!! True... I went home and went to sleep... when I woke up in the morning...I had a blood sweat that could be seen on the back of my shirt and on the sheets. (I like white clothing and bedding) so I could see it and rang my friend freaking out. She has a lot of knowledge about Native American Indian stuff...anyway...She was then... I want to see him... she said he was a Shaman and went to see him also.

Anway...he died not long after that so that was a real shame.

I had lots of meditations years back and some were great, very informative. I did write one about collective consciousness but I guess I don't believe 'me' and look elsewhere for answers ...

My Higher Self=Your Higher Self=Collective Consciousness

edit on 18-8-2011 by Thurisaz because: edit to correct

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   

God seems to be a gap-filler for holes in our knowledge. I don't think it belongs to anyone, since it would presumably be some kind of person in its own right. We'd just be small little bits of it that get filtered through our brains.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join