It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sun Monitoring Sats Malfunctioning?Looks like giant flares and CMEs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Does anyone know if we are having some huge CMEs or flares or whatever that are taking down satellites?

from 8-5-11

from 8-8-11

What is that flare up opposing the sun in that video?

And lastly 8-14-11:

That's a lot of solar action when I saw the sunspot count was at 0 today with no solar activity.

edit on 15-8-2011 by KSprepared because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
There is nothing on the D-Rap
I'll check the magnetosphere.
www2.nict.go.jp...
The field is f**ked up but I don't know what's going on

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I'm sure Phage, Stereologist XCalibre and CLPrime will be along shortly to tell us how ridiculous it is to even ask.
However, in the meantime, wow!

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by CodyOutlaw

Phage is worried, he's not responding
Awaiting phage's assessment
:-)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I checked the Secci site, and the Cor sats are only showing 2 really mangy looking pics when you choose mpeg video:

stereo-ssc.nascom.nasa.gov...

and the Hi sats dont do anything , just lock up when trying to get a movie from them

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Heartisblack

Is that the Earth magnetic Density Field?

cause if it is ,, duck, or is it goose?

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronal_mass_ejection

everyone is just jumping on the whole "cme" thing these are as natural as ever and will always be around. 11 years ago or at the last solar maximum we did not have the capabilities to see this kind of activity thats all. nothing new and no need to worry folks, go hug your kids

edit on 15-8-2011 by AllUrChips because: add link

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I wasn't saying the cme was earthbound, just asking if something has knocked out the satellites. Not seeing a CME on this representation:

iswa.gsfc.nasa.gov:8080...

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by KSprepared

Solar imaging satellites are by no means my specialty - that seems to be a topic Phage has considerable knowledge in. However, I can say that, in general, we have a couple things going on in those videos. Strange colouration (such as bright red or orange spots) would seem to be sensor overload, probably from a sudden increase in solar radiation/particles bombarding the satellite(s). This happens to all sensors at some point - anyone who spends any amount of time doing photography knows this all too well.
Cosmic radiation from the sun will, without any overload, appear as static, just as in the third video. Each point of light is a gamma particle striking the sensor.
And, the second video is from the two Stereo satellites, so that's why the images appear to be reversed...they are taken from opposite sides of the sun. They also appear to be experiencing some level of cosmic radiation bombardment, given the static.

Again, Phage would know more than I do (and, by the time I post this, he may have even replied already - ETA: or not), but that's CLPrime's first impression.
edit on 15-8-2011 by CLPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Why do they think we need the stupid intros to their stupid videos?

1) Mercury

2) Huh? What the hell is he talking about?

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
On the second video from 8-8, at :28 seconds you can see the sun flaring from 1 direction and some other object flaring back the opposite direction, I am wondering what that other object is. And as a side note, does anyone know why the sun just plain feels so much hotter this year? It seems to just bake me, even if I'm only out there a few minutes.

And I guess the point is that just generally, all the satellite vid has been crap quality lately, and they are missing frames. This is just a representation of what we're seeing. They used to be reliable and you could DL days at a time.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Like I said, it's Mercury.

The Sun doesn't seem any different to me. It's hot in the summer where I live.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Since it "flares", I would assume that would simply be a heavier bombardment. There's obviously no object there...so it would seem to be an effect at the satellite's location, which would make it a sensor issue (though, not really an issue...just something that happens when you put sensors on a satellite facing the sun).

And, as Phage says, the other bright spot is Mercury.
edit on 15-8-2011 by CLPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
That is Mercury beside the sun or on the far right just coming into frame? Is there a website I can look to to find this information showing which planets are in which satellites and when?

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Certainly: STEREO locations

And SOHO is always directly between the Earth and Sun, very near the Earth's location.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime

Certainly: STEREO locations

And SOHO is always directly between the Earth and Sun, very near the Earth's location.

here this might help

"C2 images show the inner solar corona up to 8.4 million kilometers (5.25 million miles) away from the Sun.

C3 images have a larger field of view: They encompass 32 diameters of the Sun. To put this in perspective, the diameter of the images is 45 million kilometers (about 30 million miles) at the distance of the Sun, or half of the diameter of the orbit of Mercury. Many bright stars can be seen behind the Sun"

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Thanks for the reply, and to be clear, the flash on the right side of the camera that began on 8-8and was still showing on 8-9 was a cosmic ray flaring? If you watch the very end of the first vid, it shows up, and it is still there in the 2nd. There are no planets out there. And still, I'd like to know why we have such sporadic feed from the satellites, no history and only 2 current frames and crap quality. I can see if they are messed up, but where did all the downloadable history off the server go?

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Yes, my best guess would be that the "flare" at the side opposite the sun was merely a denser region of cosmic radiation striking the sensors... like the static, but more intense/numerous. Mercury is the solid bright spot moving through the field of view.

I don't watch these satellites constantly, so I can't answer the rest...but I can say with certainty that this sort of interference with these satellites occurs on a regular basis (obviously, as often as satellite-facing CMEs and flares occur).

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSprepared
That is Mercury beside the sun or on the far right just coming into frame? Is there a website I can look to to find this information showing which planets are in which satellites and when?

for SOHO
sungrazer.nrl.navy.mil.../transits
planet transits for SOHO/LASCO C3 camera

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   

No. The flash is not a cosmic ray. Yes, there are planets "out there". Specifically, Mercury.

stereo-ssc.nascom.nasa.gov...
Run a slideshow; July 18 - August 12, Behind HI1, Display one image per hour.
You'll see Mercury move right of the frame on 7/23 and flirt with the field of view for a day before (doing some retrograde foreplay with the spacecraft) it completely leaves on the 24th. It then starts flirting again on 8/7-8/8 before getting serious on 8/9.

edit on 8/15/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join