It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America didn't do much in World War II (in Europe)

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

Brittan was an Empire still and had not interest in joining Germany because it was still under the impression there was no such thing as a Natzi War Machine that was capable of doing what Hitler did.

It was the surprise that got Europe and Brittan already lost the war it was the remnants of the Royal Air force and our volunteer's which helped win the skies. That and the British private sector figured out how both to find Uboats and hide planes in the air from them by painting the bottoms of the planes the same color as the sky.

Germany did not have the manufacturing capability or population to combat the US war Machine. We were eventually able to out produce more than the enemies could destroy.

You need to learn your history. Tisk Tisk.,

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Big talk from someone living in what is now basically just another pissant little european country. And one that seems to be trying very hard to become a muslim nation, at that. Haven't we recently read that Mohammed is the most popular name for baby boys in the UK, and that sharia law is allowed to be practiced. Let's see what happens when the U.S. doesn't bail you out this time.

So, how about you produce some real and reputable evidence that what you say is true. Evidence that the UK would still be a free and independent country without the Lend-Lease program, the blood of thousands of U.S. servicemen (and women) and no doubt, part of the Marshall Plan.

Waiting ...

signature:
You can lead democrats to the truth but you cant make them think.
bluemirage5

Member is offline.

P 5,415 F 23 S 4,267
W 34 K 12member

go to profileadd as friendmake rivalview postsview threadsposts in threadsend messageALERT!

posted on 17-8-2011 @ 09:09 AM this post reply to post by Frira

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You go tell that to the Japanese people!

You have no understanding of their culture and their ancient history; just because their culture does'nt agree with yours, it does'nt make them slime.

I left an expansive video camera on a train while getting off in Tokoyo central many years ago.....I got it back the following day in excellant order. That would'nt happen at Central Station in NYC or LA.

And by the way, a close family member of mine spent 2 years in a Japanese POW camp during WW2 so I'm aware of what the Japanese are capable of doing just as what the Americans were capable of doing in American POW camps for the Japanese military.

None of us know exactly what would had happened had the A-bomb not been dropped on Japan except the war would had lasted alot longer. Japan was used as a testing ground; the A-bomb was originally built to drop over Germany.

You obviously know little of what the Canadians, Australians and NZers did in WW2 (let alone WW1). Among some of Britain's finest airforce pilots & gunners were Kiwis whom were immediately absorbed in to the British Airforce, not just because they were among the best, but because they flew low and always got their target.

You should take a lesson in ANZAC history.

signature:

What is with these people! WW2 was a joint effort. Now, it seems like there are people who are ignorant and delusional when it comes to their country, but this is just stupid! And you can tell these people from a mile off because they will start to slate countries that are not their own when it comes to ww2.

Thank God i can think further than my own country!

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Originally posted by Pervius
Stalin made a Treaty with Hitler to be best buddies.

Hitler ignored the Treaty and decided it would be easy to slaughter Russians.

Be careful who you pick as friends. Always be ready for a fight.

Who killed more Russians, Stalin...or Hitler....I'd say STALIN...hands down.

It was a mutual defense pact. Stalin and Hitler were not buddies; they just wanted time to build up their forces.

I see that there's still a bunch of gung ho Yankees here. I don't think they are able to tell the difference between Germany and Japan. I think it's funny to see them claim that the US let the Soviets take Berlin because they would take heavy casualties (which is a load). I don't think they understand that if Japan didn't surrender, that the US had already begged the USSR to engage in a northern front on Japan. In fact, the possibility of the Soviets acquiring Japanese territory was probably enough to make them surrender.

I dunno Dmitri, the gung-ho yanks tend to balance out the eurocentric revisionism although I agree as well that Hollywood and the western press have painted a rather one sided view over the last 65 years.

The myth of Eisenhower holding the western armies back to allow the Soviets the prize of Berlin is a common belief of the WWII generation although silly for any student of contemporary military history or tactics.

Anyone with any real interest knows that Germany was divided up by the Allies in February 1945 during the Yalta Conference (which is also, coincidently, when Roosevelt sold out Eastern Europe and Mongolia to the Soviets in exchange for their promise of commitment in the Pacific theatre.)

Personally, I think the Western Allies leaving Berlin to the Reds was a brilliant idea as Berlin was defended by nearly 1,000,000 Germans ( counting the Volkssturm ) and cost the Russkie's nearly 400,000 casualties.

I would agree that Stalin's turning Vasilevsky's Far East Command loose on the Japanese Kwantung Army forces in the far east certainly helped convince Japan to accept the Allies unconditional terms of surrender.

I would also argue that George Patton's assessment of the U.S.S.R. was not far of the money, that part of the rationale for using the A-bombs at such a late stage was intended as a show for Stalin as much as a further punishment of Japan and that the ideological mess that still divides Korea is a direct result of Roosevelts miscalculation and Stalin's shrewdness...

Regardless, without lend lease and American material support Britain would have remained isolated and slowly starved out, the rest of Europe, Africa and the middle east would still be speaking German today, the Sovietski's would have been stalemated and likely been forced to succeed the Ukraine for Arian Lebensraum.

There is a reason the term Arsenal of Democracy was coined in 1940.

Meanwhile, without U.S. intervention, the entire pacific rim from Australia to Mongolia would be an Imperial Japanese colony.

The defeat of the Axis powers was unquestionably an international sacrifice and although the eventual outcome without the contribution of the U.S. military can be argued from now till forever there is little doubt to anyone who understands the logistics of total war that the American industrial contribution was crucial to Allied victory.

Offensive troll thread aside, I think we Yanks have got good reason to pat ourselves on the back for a job well done.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Ooo the Holy Russians , the worse army in the War ... the only thing Russia did to win was use a meat shield. You had no skills nothing to your advantage except for the population of China that you would have right now if you didnt lose 80% of the males between 24-32.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by milkyway12

"In the Soviet army it takes more courage to retreat than advance. "

"The death of one man is a tragedy. The death of millions is a statistic."

“Everyone imposes his own system as far as his army can reach.”

We don't let them have ideas. Why would we let them have guns?”

Quantity has a quality all of its own

Death solves all problems - no man, no problem.

The Pope? How many divisions has he got?

God is on your side? Is He a Conservative? The Devil's on my side, he's a good Communist

When we hang the capitalists they will sell us the rope we use.

Joseph Stalin 18 December 1878– 5 March 1953

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/30baab017136.jpg[/atsimg]

I enjoy having a good chuckle at the expense of a genocidal communist tyrant as much as the next Joe (get it average Joe...Joseph Stalin
) however the facts of the matter would differ.

The Soviet Union utterly defeated the best trained,best equipped and most highly motivated Army in the world through sheer brute force over four years of the most destructive infantry warfare in the history of human civilization.

Meat shields is as good an analogy as any but an Army of meat shields only a fool would disrespect.

Enjoy!
edit on 18-8-2011 by Drunkenparrot because: syntax

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
A fool to disrespect? Please use your meat shield one more time in the coming war with Russia. We will annihlate the Russian military.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by milkyway12

they had somethings the T34 tank and the lyushin Il-2 Shturmovik air plane and the winter.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by milkyway12
A fool to disrespect? Please use your meat shield one more time in the coming war with Russia. We will annihlate the Russian military.

target rich environment.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Maybe America should
of just let you guys be
speaking german right now..

Maybe you guys would be better off.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by drfeelme
Maybe America should
of (sic) just let you guys be
speaking german (sic) right now..

Maybe you guys would be better off.

Maybe they should have. It's better than mashing the English language!

English is a 'bastard' language anyway, cobbled together from many other influences.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
It's been a long while since I've seen such a plethora of misstatements concerning history from both sides. I'd go through and correct many of them, but I just can't be bothered since many of these "mistakes" are ideologically driven...

Why bother when it would bounce off?

So continue on with the rants from both sides, and don't let the truth bother you...

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
It's been a long while since I've seen such a plethora of misstatements concerning history from both sides. I'd go through and correct many of them, but I just can't be bothered since many of these "mistakes" are ideologically driven...

Why bother when it would bounce off?

So continue on with the rants from both sides, and don't let the truth bother you...

It's mind numbing, isn't it?

65% of americans can't find japan on a map, but everyone has an opinion. There aren't walls thick enough for me to pound my head against in frustration.
edit on 18-8-2011 by tangonine because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by tangonine

Not just Americans. Some Europeans could use a bit more in the way of objectivity, as well...

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
If you want to know one reason why so many Russian soldier's died during WW2, you can attribute that partially due to the Russian command tactics, all the way up to the boss- Stalin. To get a glimpse of such tactics, I urge people to watch the movie titled- Enemy at the Gates.

Another reason- Is that the German snipers used full metal jacketed bullets against Western Allied troops; but switched to illegal softpoints against the Russians on the Eastern Front.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Erno86

Not to take it off topic, but I couldn't help but notice this part of your post...

but switched to illegal softpoints against the Russians on the Eastern Front.

Not that you're wrong, because you aren't. But rules, or treaties, concerning behaviour during combat have always struck me as sort of an oxymoron... Just sayin'. Now after the battle? That's a whole 'nother thing...

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
reply to post by Erno86

Not to take it off topic, but I couldn't help but notice this part of your post...

but switched to illegal softpoints against the Russians on the Eastern Front.

Not that you're wrong, because you aren't. But rules, or treaties, concerning behaviour during combat have always struck me as sort of an oxymoron... Just sayin'. Now after the battle? That's a whole 'nother thing...

LOL. In Asscrackistan, I had to continually check my soldiers' mags to make sure they weren't filing down the tips (that whole NATO laws of armed conflict thing).

Troops do what they do to make the other guy die quickly.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erno86
To get a glimpse of such tactics, I urge people to watch the movie titled- Enemy at the Gates.

The one with the rifle shoots! The one without follows him! When the one with the rifle gets killed, the one who is following picks up the rifle AND SHOOTS!

Enemy at the Gates

Great quote from a mediocre movie based on a great book.

Enemy at the Gates: The Battle for Stalingrad [Hardcover]

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I agree with most of what your saying but there is proof. The radar operator and the CO are still alive to this day and both of them can prove what they saw on their radar. If you don't believe me go on youtube or some other video site and look up "Unsolved History: Pearl Harbour, was it a surprise attack?"
Sincerly,
CPL Sabastian Sears (Canada Armed Fources)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Drunkenparrot

I haven't read the book, but I can quite frankly say the film was complete tosh and it was an insult to Russians.

Imagine if the Russians had made a film about the D-Day landings using all Russian actors trying to put on dodgy American or British accents.

Truly awful.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

I'm just curious...

What about it other than the actors with bad Russian accents do you disagree with?
Why is it an insult to Russians?

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join