It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pet Mouse Anyone?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   

I am all for everything science does in the name of progress. But I still think it is a little funny when you see a mouse that is patented or is a registered trademark.

Reminds me of all the movies in the past twenty years talking about the possible future of bio-medical sciences, although, not all of the Hollywood hype has come to pass... But we can at least buy mice that are easy to graft to human cells.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Its a little funny and highly controversial to patent a life force, such as a gene or a hormone, but its happening. (More corporate greed)

As to the cost......my daughter works with these kinds of mice. When she writes a grant for a project, the cost of the mice alone can reach hundreds of thousands of dollars. They run about 5-10 grand each, only to be "humanely" killed later. The surgeons who work with these mice, taking biopsies and such are so highly skilled, and have such fierce focus and balance while performing these surgeries, its amazing.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

I knew the money for these things would be high but it is incredible to think how much is spent on rodents...

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
May the rodent goddess look down on us with pity and forgivness. That is the prayer a chinese mouse surgeon, my D admires, says before operating or injecting with a disease.

And may PETA never know our names.........
edit on 15-8-2011 by windword because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-8-2011 by windword because: spelling and grammer

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
OMgoodness,

The first though I had was O.K, we can legthen thier lives, cure thier disease, but then we keep giving them new ones to "see" what we might find about ourselves......after never curing them....

Would I adopt this beautifull creature? yes... and try to dream a better dream for it's sake...

Peace and cheers!
edit on 15-8-2011 by treespeaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Looks like we might be heading for "The Planet of the White Mice" instead of the "The Planet of the Apes"!

I kept pet mice as a kid that were bred to feed the snakes at the local zoo.
Quite a smelly rodent compared to a hamster.
Now they say that in most buildings and houses you are never more than 5 meters from a mouse!
Perhaps "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" had a point, and the mice are actually observing us.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

Perhaps "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" had a point, and the mice are actually observing us.

When they start implanting mice with little cameras that won't be far from the truth.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Many rodents will die

Remember the old saying when someone was pregnant...the Rabbit died !!

Dont forget your towel

top topics

join