It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Five Things You Might Not Know About Rick Perry

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
few things about Perry that might have escaped your notice.

1) He used to be a Democrat. But according to Texas politics éminence grise Paul Burka, that's not actually much of a gotcha factoid.

When Perry was elected to the statehouse, in 1985, conservative Democrats ran the Legislature. In 1989, realizing that a conservative had little future in the party, Perry switched to the GOP. He has been a rock-solid Republican ever since and has driven the state party further to the right. Only twice has he made strategic errors that brought him into conflict with his hard-right base. ... Perry has a genius for sensing where his base is on any given issue.

2) He lives out his support for the Second Amendment. Last year, while jogging, he shot and killed a coyote that "menaced" his dog using a laser pistol he happened to be carrying. Just today, Perry joked (we think?) with Politico's Ben Smith about whether he was packing heat at the Iowa State Fair, saying "I never comment on whether I'm carrying a handgun or not. That's why it's called concealed." As Smith points out, that's part of the macho persona that he's cultivating pretty explicitly, as the red-meat, real man candidate who says charming little things like, "This shirt has a few wrinkles in it, it's not my wife's fault." But unlike Republican pols who manufacture a certain man-of-the-people vibe, Perry really is from a dirt-poor, hardscrabble, rural background.

3) However, while Perry might not be a trust-funder like W., at least once or twice, he was sort of like the poor kid who ended up living large thanks to a wealthy roommate. According to John Sharp, who lost the 1998 lieutenant governor race, Perry got a few hand-me-down silver spoons from his gubernatorial predecessor.

In 1998 Governor Bush told Bob Bullock he was going to stay out of our lieutenant governor’s race, according to Bullock. Then Bush realized that he could not run for president if it meant leaving office would elevate a Democrat to governor. So he was forced to get involved, and his parents ran ads for Perry.

Perry also, of course, doesn't have much of a problem raising his own money these days — his deep coffers were a factor in all of his Texas races, and will be one of his most important advantages in this national race.

4) He thinks a whole lot of things are unconstitutional. Matt Yglesias, who read Perry's 2010 book, Fed Up, reports that bank regulation, consumer financial protection, federal education policy, and the wide application of the Commerce Clause are all unconstitutional, according to Perry. Also, he links the Civil War to the creeping problem of federalism.

5) His hair, despite the raffish swoop and the "Governor Goodhair" tag it earned him, is jealous of Mitt Romney's hair...

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
6) He's not Ron Paul.

Ron Paul 2012!

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
#7) He's a Buttwipe. (no explantion needed)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I know the man is
HATED, no need
for the ron paul
fans to get so butt hurt over it.

I mean Paul has no chance
and Perry might be the next president..

I would be angry also being a Ron
Falls fan

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
#8 - Bilderberg

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by hillynilly

...i think that outcome was decided before gwb appointed him governor of texas...

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks

...i think that outcome was decided before gwb appointed him governor of texas...

By who and when?

I think you ARE talking opinion.

Which is fine..

You come off as your talking FACT..

Put IMO ( in only my opinion)
When you state baseless accusations.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   

By who and when?

Which is fine..

putting IMO seems redundant when the poster specifically started his/her sentence "i think..." - what does arguing about semantics have to do with the topic anyway? either way, the phrase "i think..." is usually always indicative of an opinion. I can't imagine anyone would think otherwise unless they are just going out of their way to nit pick.

that being said. i agree with that poster. i have been saying all along this election will come down to Obama (D) Perry (R) and Paul (I) ----- and that is IMO, just to be clear so that we don;t have to get hung up on ANOTHER pointless argument about semantics.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by hillynilly

Well - lets take them one at a time.

1. He started as a Democrat. I don't think this will hurt him at all. So did Michele Bachmann and some guy named Ronald Reagan. It doesn't seem to have hurt her so far and didn't hurt Ronnie too much.

2. What's a laser pistol? He has weapons the special forces don't even have yet? Maybe you mean a pistol with a laser sight? As for the coyote Newspapers across the country have carried stories of coyotes harassing leashed dogs on walks with their owners in and near parks and golf courses within city limits. So, that sounds like a man that loves his dog to me. If his upbringing is truly as he says then for better or worse firearms were as much a tool on the farm as a shovel or rake.

3. For me personally, this is probably the biggie on the list. But folks will overlook lots of dirt these days.

4. Lots of things are unconstitutional..

5. He does have the "helmet hair" going for him. As for Romney, he was born rich, got richer, he's good looking, what's to like?

edit on 15-8-2011 by Frogs because: spelling

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
- The guy was part of Al Gore political team in the 90s.

- The guy has been trying to sell state infrastructure to private corporations.

- The guy has been trying to force not safe and useless vaccines on kids in Texas, getting kickbacks from Merck.

- The guy has been doing everything he can to push the North American Union.

- The guy loved Bush.

- The guy secretly pushed against the anti-TSA bill in the Texas legislature while publicly saying he was for it.

- The guy went to Bilderberg.

Sorry but Perry is a POS globalist.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by highpriestess

By who and when?

Which is fine..

putting IMO seems redundant when the poster specifically started his/her sentence "i think..." - what does arguing about semantics have to do with the topic anyway? either way, the phrase "i think..." is usually always indicative of an opinion. I can't imagine anyone would think otherwise unless they are just going out of their way to nit pick.

that being said. i agree with that poster. i have been saying all along this election will come down to Obama (D) Perry (R) and Paul (I) ----- and that is IMO, just to be clear so that we don;t have to get hung up on ANOTHER pointless argument about semantics.

Thank you really.

I was asking Wyn Hawks though,
so if you are talking for someone else
please put IMO this is what they would say.

Because I would like to hear from the person who I asked the question to.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   

i'm sorry, but you posted it in an open forum, not in a private message. i was under the impression that according to the board rules, i could respond to any post in a thread that i had an opinion on, or had something to share, as it relates to the topic. I feel that i covered all of that in my post, as i also agreed with the poster you quoted, which was on topic. I apologize that you can't tell that the worlds "i think" means that someone THINKS something and that is pretty much always an opinion. It was very obvious to me, so I said that it seemed obvious to me. Are you saying that I am not allowed to respond to your posts in an open forum unless they are specifically addressed to me?

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
- The guy was part of Al Gore political team in the 90s.

- The guy has been trying to sell state infrastructure to private corporations.

- The guy has been trying to force not safe and useless vaccines on kids in Texas, getting kickbacks from Merck.

- The guy has been doing everything he can to push the North American Union.

- The guy loved Bush.

- The guy secretly pushed against the anti-TSA bill in the Texas legislature while publicly saying he was for it.

- The guy went to Bilderberg.

Sorry but Perry is a POS globalist.

he has also pushed very hard for Texas to secede from the Union. Now he wants to run the very Union he wanted to Secede from? He is wishy washy.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

i'm sorry, but you posted it in an open forum, not in a private message. i was under the impression that according to the board rules, i could respond to any post in a thread that i had an opinion on, or had something to share, as it relates to the topic. I feel that i covered all of that in my post, as i also agreed with the poster you quoted, which was on topic. I apologize that you can't tell that the worlds "i think" means that someone THINKS something and that is pretty much always an opinion. It was very obvious to me, so I said that it seemed obvious to me. Are you saying that I am not allowed to respond to your posts in an open forum unless they are specifically addressed to me?

Post as you please,

It is obvious you hate Rick Perryimo.

So whatever aspect you twist and turn this
does not really matter to me.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

"hate" is a strong word, and i don't "hate" anyone. But i do not care for Mr. Perry's politics, ethics, or for what he has done in Texas with the Tort Reform Act. I work in the legal profession, and I am in Texas, so I deal with a lot of Rick Perry's policies and decisions on a daily basis in my career. As a tax paying citizen of the state of texas, I don't care for him trying to dictate to me if my daughter MUST have an HPV vaccine (especially considering we don't know the long term effects AND those things are OUTRAGEOUSLY priced - takes three visits and each one is well over 500 bucks.) - Since i prefer to use my skills and training and education and experience to HELP my fellow man (i made the switch to the light side after working for the evil empire GE, Citi, and Allstate), I full well know all about how these vaccines and medications are pushed on people at first, and then ten years later here comes the television commercials by boutique law firms about how "if you took x-y-z medication and you now have a third arm growing out of your forehead, sudden onset severe anal bleeding, early parkinsons disease, etc., you MAY be entitled to legal compensation." -- I also have met the man in person, and he seemed very shifty and shady to me, like a used car salesman.

I THINK rick perry is bad news. "hate" is your word, not mine.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive
6) He's not Ron Paul.

Ron Paul 2012!

Originally posted by Bluebonnet
#7) He's a Buttwipe. (no explantion needed)

The OP said things you might not know about him. Those two mentioned above are quite obvious.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks

By who and when? I think you ARE talking opinion. Which is fine.. You come off as your talking FACT.

...i'm not responsible for the voices in your head or your lack of reading skills...

Put IMO ( in only my opinion) When you state baseless accusations.

...i started my comment with "i think", which is just as good as imo or jmo...

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   

As a tax paying citizen of the state of texas, I don't care for him trying to dictate to me if my daughter MUST have an HPV vaccine (especially considering we don't know the long term effects AND those things are OUTRAGEOUSLY priced

...yep... even if i didnt have kids and grandkids, i wouldve fought that bs tooth and nail... it was an attempt at genocide, IN MY OPINION (for the persnickety one that cant read, lol)...

I also have met the man in person, and he seemed very shifty and shady to me, like a used car salesman.

...he's okay until he opens his mouth - then its instant smarmy...

I THINK rick perry is bad news.

..absolutely, no doubt about it...

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive
6) He's not Ron Paul.

Ron Paul 2012!

Damn! I came in here with the intention of saying that exact thing. I guess I'm not so clever after all

I'm really worried here, folks....

I don't think he will even have to win the election, I suspect there is a takeover in the works. The dude already has LASER PISTOL technology, I never believed in Reptilians, but this guy slipped up and let us know about his technology. Scary days, ahead....

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Here's a better rundown of Rick Perry.

14 Reasons Why Rick Perry Would Be A Really, Really Bad President

#1 Rick Perry is a "big government" politician. When Rick Perry became the governor of Texas in 2000, the total spending by the Texas state government was approximately $49 billion. Ten years later it was approximately $90 billion.
#3 The total debt of the Texas government has more than doubled since Rick Perry became governor.
#4 Rick Perry has spearheaded the effort to lease roads in Texas to foreign companies, to turn roads that are already free to drive on into toll roads, and to develop the Trans-Texas Corridor which would be part of the planned NAFTA superhighway system.
#5 Rick Perry claims that he has a "track record" of not raising taxes. That is a false claim. Rick Perry has repeatedly raised taxes and fees while he has been governor.
#7 Back in 1988, Rick Perry supported Al Gore for president. In fact, Rick Perry actually served as Al Gore's campaign chairman in the state of Texas that year.
#8 Between December 2007 and April 2011, weekly wages in the U.S. increased by about 5 percent. In the state of Texas they increased by just 0.6% over that same time period.
#10 Rick Perry attended the Bilderberg Group meetings in 2007.
#11 Texas has the highest percentage of workers making minimum wage out of all 50 states.
#12 Rick Perry often gives speeches about illegal immigration, but when you look at the facts, he has been incredibly soft on the issue.
#14 Rick Perry actually issued an executive order in 2007 that would have forced almost every single girl in the state of Texas to receive the Gardasil vaccine before entering the sixth grade.

Perry is scum.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join