It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Bill of Rights for Future Generations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Please feel free to share far this far and wide. It is a non-copyrighted declaration that was taken from an anonymous writer from the AdBusters magazine. I fully agree with it; we all must take our part in saving this planet. We only have one.

We, the people of the future, like the 20,000 generations who came before us, have the right to breathe air that smells sweet, to drink water that runs pure and free, to swim in waters that teem with life, and to grow our food in rich, living earth.

We have the right to inherit a world unsullied by toxic chemicals, nuclear waste, or genetic pollution. We have the right to walk in untamed nature and to feel the awe that comes when we suddenly lock eyes with a wild beast.

We beseech you, the people of today: do not leave your dirty messes for us to clean up; do not take technological risks, however small, that may backfire catastrophically in times to come. Just as we respectfully ask that you not burden us with your deferred debts and depleted pension plans, we also claim our right to a share of the planet's ecological wealth. Please don't use it all up.

We, in turn, promise to do the same. We grant these same rights and privileges to the generations who will live after us; we do so in the sacred hope that the human spirit will live forever.

A curse on any generation who ignores this plea.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Perplexedandconfused
Please feel free to share far this far and wide. It is a non-copyrighted declaration that was taken from an anonymous writer from the AdBusters magazine. I fully agree with it; we all must take our part in saving this planet. We only have one.

We, the people of the future, like the 20,000 generations who came before us, have the right to breathe air that smells sweet, to drink water that runs pure and free, to swim in waters that teem with life, and to grow our food in rich, living earth.

We have the right to inherit a world unsullied by toxic chemicals, nuclear waste, or genetic pollution. We have the right to walk in untamed nature and to feel the awe that comes when we suddenly lock eyes with a wild beast.

We beseech you, the people of today: do not leave your dirty messes for us to clean up; do not take technological risks, however small, that may backfire catastrophically in times to come. Just as we respectfully ask that you not burden us with your deferred debts and depleted pension plans, we also claim our right to a share of the planet's ecological wealth. Please don't use it all up.

We, in turn, promise to do the same. We grant these same rights and privileges to the generations who will live after us; we do so in the sacred hope that the human spirit will live forever.

A curse on any generation who ignores this plea.

Eh oh? A curse on those who ignore this plea? Very Tutankamenesque.
Unfortunately, curses notwithstanding, that pledge will be ignored by all but a few folks on ATS and whatever green blog that came from.

But good luck with your aboriginal, chemical free, modern medicine free, petroleum free, wild beast eye locking lifestyle!

BTW, where do you charge your laptop in this non industrial wilderness? You are aware that internet usage is a huge producer of carbon dioxide, right?

Hmmm, cursed ourselves, did we? D'oh!

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by louieprima

I believe we can have a modern society without totally polluting the planet. We need to use less packaging, recycle and upcycle more. Companies need to design items so that we don't create a ton of waste but can reuse parts of an item when we upgrade.

There are companies such as TerraCycle who will pay the consumer for trash and they will upcycle it.
They collect trash and make it in to backpacks, clothing, bags, kites, trash cans, purses and many other items.

TerraCycle

We live in a society driven by money and the need for consumers to have more. I think this little video is a good example of how we do stuff.

We also need to do our parts in not being wasteful and not littering.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Perplexedandconfused
We can do without the curse. If this curse falls on us, it can't help but hurt future generations too. I can't think of any curse which could hit one generation then disappear.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by pthena
We can do without the curse. If this curse falls on us, it can't help but hurt future generations too. I can't think of any curse which could hit one generation then disappear.

This is true. In retrospect I should have truncated the message.

The rest of the message still stands. Our future generations should not have to pay the price of our society's recklessness, disregard, wastefulness or greed.On a respite trip into nature recently I was shocked at the garbage people had left behind. The lack of responsibility is appalling. I don't know if people think this stuff will
just clean itself up, disintegrate, or they just don't care. It saddens me that future generations may end up living in deplorable conditions if more people don't start caring for our planet.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
It's another case of people losing track of what they once knew. There was a lot of awareness back in the 70s. I think some quest to all become millionaires in the 80s just blew all rational thought out the window.

Here is a book I read back in the day. Stand on Zanzibar, John Brunner, 1968.
It is now available for free download.
Here's one link.
ebook3000

There are seven billion-plus humans crowding the surface of 21st century Earth. It is an age of intelligent computers, mass-market psychedelic drugs, politics conducted by assassination, scientists who burn incense to appease volcanoes all the hysteria of a dangerously overcrowded world, portrayed in a dazzlingly inventive style. Employing a dazzling range of literary techniques, John Brunner has created a future world as real as this morning's newspaper - moving, sensory, impressionistic, as jagged as the times it portrays, this book is a real mind stretcher - and yet beautifully orchestrated to give a vivid picture of the whole.

It's been decades since I read it, but hard to completely forget.

Here's that youtube:

Sorry, I really meant The Sheep Look Up by John Brunner, 1972
The Sheep Look Up - pdf
edit on 16-8-2011 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by pthena

Thanks Pthena for fixing the video!

Both of John Brunners books that you mentioned look like very interesting and unique books. As my time allows I am going to read the last one you posted.

"What greater delight is there than to behold the earth apparelled with plants as with a robe of embroidered works, set with Orient pearls and garnished with the great diversitie of rare and costly jewels. But these delights are in the outward senses. The principle delight is in the mind, singularly enriched with the knowledge of these visible things, setting forth to us the invisible wisdom and admirable workmanship of almighty God."
- John Gerard, 1633, The Herbal

join