It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Adam and Eve have belly buttons?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by pro-all
I'm taking a shot at your post because the ignorance portrayed is utterly insulting.

...Why does Allah need a name?

You also don't need a name, but you have one, right?

This is because language dictates that this is how one differentiates one person or being from another.

And you call the other posters ignorant!?

edit on 16/8/2011 by Saurus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroReady

They probably would not have belly buttons.

The original hebrew texts uses both female and male words for God. Translated to English, these either get masculinized or neutralized.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroReady
Since, according to the Christian Bible, they weren't conceived in a womb they wouldn't have needed umbilical cords. If they did have belly buttons, and man was created in Gods image, does God have a belly button? If God does have a belly button, in whose womb was God conceived?

Why is the Christian God always referred to as He, Him, God the Father? Wouldn't it make more sense, if one has to choose a sex for God, to make It female since It sort of gave birth so to speak to humans? Why are males given such a leadership role? Wouldn't it be less confusing if God wasn't personified so much by assigning It a sex? Wouldn't it make more sense to refer to God as It?

No, No, because, No, don't know, No, No.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by sageofmonticello

The belly button must of come around as a genetic mutation arrived at by Adam mating with Eve, as Eve was made from Adams rib (i think right) So when their DNA mixed, it created a genetic malfunctions in their offspring that resulted in the belly button. (in-breeding problem) I think regarding God as "It" is a great idea. Who could possibly assign a gender to a unknown God. Any gender put there was created by humans it would seem.

Oh, boy....explaining the belly button as a "genetic mutation" resulting from an "inbreeding problem." LMAO!

I think the problem exists in the idea that God just up and decided to put a man and a woman on the Earth, alone, to populate the rest of the planet. It's absurd and highly improbable.

Here's another question: The Bible says God created Adam first and that after he did so, he decided that Adam shouldn't "be alone," so he created Eve to coexist with him. Why was Adam created with reproductive organs and a penis if Eve was an afterthought? Was the penis initially intended solely for the purpose of Adam draining his lizard?

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Was the penis initially intended solely for the purpose of Adam draining his lizard?

I would have to say yes, it is clear to me from looking at mine and taking a nice look at the public in large that balls had to of been an after thought. lol. thanks for getting my joke you quoted
my best attempt to make sense of nonsense.

edit on 16-8-2011 by sageofmonticello because: eta

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Noo ne will ever know his for sure while living an earthy life. If they were genetically engineered as written in the sumerian texts, then possible they did have belly buttons even as a test tube embrio. If prime creator actually was involved in their creation, then I would say no. After prime creator created the universes, what happened after that will remain sketchie at best.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Admittedly I read the title and was a bit perplexed but between clicking the title and the OP loading I recognized what you were getting at. I suppose this is a bit of an issue for Fundamentalists though most Christians in this day and age luckily read Genesis as allegory.

Why are males given such a leadership role?

The Old Testament has a fairly anti-woman message from the very beginning. Eve bears most of the burden for original sin and definitely gets the worse end of the curse God puts on them (pain in childbirth, ouch). In the story of Lot Lot offers his virgin daughters to be raped by an angry mob and receives no immediate punishment, his wife on the other hand just looks back on Sodom and Gomorrah and BAM she becomes a pillar of salt. Also when God sets up slavery in Exodus he specifies that a woman is not to go free the way a man slave would.

7 “If a man sells his daughter as a servant, she is not to go free as male servants do.

Source

Wouldn't it make more sense to refer to God as It?

God is personified as a King throughout much of the Bible, seated on a throne with several creatures bowing before him endlessly. He's quite obviously portrayed as a benevolent dictator (although the Bible definitely brings his benevolence into question throughout its pages).

The simple answer is that God is portrayed as a man because he is made in our image.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
If you read some of the gnostic gospels or the Apocrypha, there are stories that would lead one to believe Adam and Eve were one big biological experiment. In the Garden they didn't need food or water. Once out of the garden their bodies were changed.

Here's a few quotes about the physical changes for you from The 1st Book of Adam and Eve

8 And Adam said to Eve, "Look at thine eyes, and at mine, which afore beheld angels in heaven, praising; and they, too, without ceasing. 9 "But now we do not see as we did: our eyes have become of flesh; they cannot see in like manner as they saw before." 10 Adam said again to Eve, "What is our body to-day, compared to what it was in former days, when we dwelt in the garden?"

2 Then God the Lord said unto Adam, "When thou wast under subjection to Me, thou hadst a bright nature within thee, and for that reason couldst thou see things afar off. But after thy transgression thy bright nature was withdrawn from thee; and it was not left to thee to see things afar off, but only near at hand; after the ability of the flesh; for it is brutish."

7 "But when we came into this strange land, pure praise was no longer ours, nor righteous prayer, nor understanding hearts, nor sweet thoughts, nor just counsels, nor long discernment, nor upright feelings, neither is our bright nature left us. But our body is changed from the similitude in which it was at first, when we were created.

16 "And of Thy goodwill, O Lord, Thou madest us both with bodies of a bright nature, and Thou madest us two, one; and Thou gavest us Thy grace, and didst fill us with praises of the Holy Spirit; that we should be neither hungry nor thirsty, nor know what sorrow is, nor yet faintness of heart; neither suffering, fasting, nor weariness. 17 "But now, O God, since we transgressed Thy commandment and broke Thy law, Thou hast brought us out into a strange land, and has caused suffering, and faintness, hunger and thirst to come upon us. 1S "Now, therefore, O God, we pray Thee, give us something to eat from the garden, to satisfy our hunger with it; and something wherewith to quench our thirst. 19 "For, behold, many days, O God, we have tasted nothing and drunk nothing, and our flesh is dried up, and our p. 25 strength is wasted, and sleep is gone from our eyes from faintness and weeping.

THEN God looked again upon Adam and his weeping and groaning, and the Word of God came to him, and said unto him:-- 2 "O Adam, when thou wast in My garden, thou knewest neither eating nor drinking; neither faintness nor suffering; neither leanness of flesh, nor change; neither did sleep depart from thine eyes. But since thou transgressedst, and camest into this strange land, all these trials are come upon thee."

THEN the Word of God came to Adam, and said unto him, "O, Adam, why hadst thou not this dread, neither this fasting, nor this care ere this? And why hadst thou not this fear before thou didst transgress? 2 "But when thou camest to dwell in this strange land, thy animal body could not be on earth without earthly food, to strengthen it and to restore its powers."

10 "O Lord, when I was in the garden and saw the water that flowed from under the Tree of Life, my heart did not desire, neither did my body require to drink of it; neither did I know thirst, for I was living; and above that which I am now. 11 "So that in order to live I did not require any Food of Life, neither did I drink of the Water of Life.

8 Then they both took to weeping because of the fire that made separation between them and the cave, and that drew towards them, burning. And they were afraid. 9 Then Adam said to Eve, "See this fire of which we have a portion in us: which formerly yielded to us, but no longer does so, now that we have transgressed the limit of creation, and changed our condition, and p. 30 our nature is altered. But the fire is not changed in its nature, nor altered from its creation. Therefore has it now power over us; and when we come near it, it scorches our flesh."

11 But as to Adam and Eve, their strength and flesh withered from fasting and praying, from hunger and thirst; for they had not tasted either food or drink since they left the garden; nor were the functions of their bodies yet settled;

CHAP. LXIV. Adam and Eve partake of the first earthly food. THEN God looked upon Adam and upon his strength of mind, upon his endurance of hunger and thirst, and of the heat. And he changed the two fig-trees into two figs, as they were at first, and then said to Adam and to Eve, "Each of you may take one fig." And they took them, as the Lord commanded them. 2 And he said to them, "Go ye into the cave, and eat the figs, and satisfy your hunger, lest ye die." 3 So, as God commanded them, they went into the cave, about the time when the sun was setting. And Adam and Eve stood up and prayed at the time of the setting sun. 4 Then they sat down to eat the figs; but they knew not how to eat them; for they were not accustomed to eat earthly food. They feared also lest, if they ate, their stomach should be burdened and their flesh thickened, and their hearts take to liking earthly food. 5 But while they were thus seated, God, out of pity for them, sent them His angel, lest they should perish of hunger and thirst. 6 And the angel said unto Adam and Eve, "God says to you that ye have not strength to fast until death; eat, therefore, and strengthen your bodies; for ye are now animal flesh, that cannot subsist without food and drink."

Also, they had to acquire digestive organs:

CHAP. LXV. Adam and Eve acquire digestive organs. Final hope of returning to the Garden is quenched. AND when it was day, they rose and prayed, after their custom, and then went out of the cave. p. 45 2 But as they felt great trouble from the food they had eaten, and to which they were not used, they went about in the cave saying to each other:-- 3 "What has happened to us through eating, that this pain should have come upon us? Woe be to us, we shall die! Better for us to have died than to have eaten; and to have kept our bodies pure, than to have defiled them with food." 4 Then Adam said to Eve, "This pain did not come to us in the garden, neither did we eat such bad food there. Thinkest thou, O Eve, that God will plague us through the food that is in us, or that our inwards will come out; or that God means to kill us with this pain before He has fulfilled His promise to us?" 5 Then Adam besought the Lord and said, "O Lord, let us not perish through the food we have eaten. O Lord, smite us not; but deal with us according to Thy great mercy, and forsake us not until the day of the promise Thou hast made us." 6 Then God looked upon them, and at once fitted them for eating food; as unto this day; so that they should not perish. 7 Then Adam and Eve came back into the cave sorrowful and weeping because of the alteration in their nature. And they both knew from that hour that they were altered beings, that their hope of returning to the garden was now cut off; and that they could not enter it. 8 For that now their bodies had strange functions; and all flesh that requires food and drink for its existence, cannot be in the garden. 9 Then Adam said to Eve, "Behold, our hope is now cut off; and so is our trust to enter the garden. We no longer belong to the inhabitants of the garden; but henceforth we are earthy and of the dust, and of the inhabitants of the earth, We shall not return to the garden, until the day in which God has promised to save us, and to bring us again into the garden, as He promised us." 10 Then they prayed to God that He would have mercy on them; after which, their mind was quieted, their hearts were broken, and their longing was cooled down; and they were like strangers on earth. That night Adam and Eve spent in the cave, where they slept heavily by reason of the food they had eaten.

edit on 16-8-2011 by tncryptogal because: added something

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroReady

Why are males given such a leadership role? Wouldn't it be less confusing if God wasn't personified so much by assigning It a sex? Wouldn't it make more sense to refer to God as It?

ANU-FATHER

ENKI -Egyptian GOD
ENLIL-The three major Abrahamic religions are, in chronological order of founding, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. Abrahamic GOD

According to the ancient Sumerian texts, the Sumerian god, Anu, the “supreme Lord of the Sky”, the currently reigning titular head of the Sumerian Family Tree, had two sons. They were Enki (Ea), Lord of the Earth and Waters (whose mother was Antu), and Enlil (Ilu), Lord of the Air and Lord of the Command (whose mother was Ki). These two half-brothers -- surprise, surprise -- did not get along.

www.halexandria.org...

There are important femals check out their moms. ALSO

If there is a philosophy of Enki, it manifests and explains itself in early Mesopotamian and Egyptian thought, where the true creator of the universe was manifest within nature, and that nature enveloped both the Anunnaki, and the humans. Nature, as the Great Mother, was still supreme, despite any patriarchal scheme to the contrary. Admittedly, Enki’s claim of his birthright, the one being based on a matrilineal succession -- essentially the mitochondria DNA link, which is wholly passed through the female line -- was in Enki’s best interests. But Enki was also the maternal grandfather who came to the aid of Inanna when things went badly during her Descent into the Underworld.

With the arrival of Enlil, however, who in his best interests must demean the matriarchal line of succession, and thus nature itself -- everything changed. The Great Mother was dethroned and replaced by a supreme male (as opposed to a male consort for the Queen). The idea of cooperation -- as exemplified by the council of Anunnaki making cooperative decisions -- was quickly replaced by competition, and harmony was forsaken in favor of subservience. The supreme god became abstract, and any physical connection with human or nature was lost -- and thus the link between nature and human also destroyed. When Enlil hit town, there was a whole new deal put into effect.

[COLOR=GOLD]
FEMALS = AS IMPORTANT COOPERATION NOT CONTROLL ---WARS FOUGHT INFLUENCES AFTER WARS SENT ENLIL WON LAST WAR
[/COLOR]

it was Enki who (with the critical assistance of his half-sister, Ninki, aka Nin-khursag) created Adam and Eve. It was Enlil, on the other hand, who created “Edin”.

GODS MULTIPLE
Abrahamic religions 1 GOD -LORD ENLIL-

CREATOR=CREATOR OF ALL (1)

edit on 8/16/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull

The simple answer is that God is portrayed as a man because he is made in our image.

That is the most accurate statement i've ever read regarding religion.
Star for you.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   

You might be smoking too much pot, lol. Just kidding. it's actually not a bad question, how about this? Who did Cain and Able get married to? In the bible it says they took wives and if Adam and Eve were the first and only people then who was around for their sons to marry? Fun question about the belly buttons! Thanks

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Why are you asking us questions that are impossible to answer? Of course you are going to get the normal response that they didn't exist.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kingbreaker

you people make my brain hurt.

That's a good sign. It means your brain is evolving, growing, making new neural connections, and that you're becoming smarter and wiser. Welcome that feeling! Too many run and hide from it in pointless pastimes.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   
This thread seems to have have gone off topic slightly. Are we looking at the bible as a fictional piece of work? If so then it should be answered that way.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
This whole debate reminds me of the great Dave Allen!
Sums up my thoughts exactly!

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
both Adam and Eve had a belly button because their DNA sequences contained the information that they developed in a womb , albiet an artifical womb at the Garden 0f Eden Labratory compound where these two male/ female prototypes were created.... created to eventually dominate the other populations of the evolutionary men that were present on the Earth. (sapiens-sapiens and neanderthals some 30,000 years ago)

it is very likely the embryos' attachment was a biological umbilicle, but the Angel (technicions)
more than likely made a plastic surgery cosmetic procedure to heal the severed cord instead of the crude & primitive act of tying the cord into a knot and tucking it in.... as we universally still do to this day

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   

I don't think they had belly buttons. And I don't think God does either.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Can we say "parable"?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join