It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to lie using video cutaways and quote manipulation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
So, you saw a video online that "proves" something, and you can't wait to share it. But, could you have been discretely lied to?

In the following video, a journalist tells us of two tactics used in the media industry to form a dramatic, compelling story that translates into views, increased sharing of video content, and media buzz as well as confusion.

Notice the key words: dramatic, compelling story. While we're all aware of the entertainment value of news itself, I think most of us would be quite surprised by how easily it is possible that we can be virtually seemlessly streamed false information in the form of distortions of content. This may seem deliberate, and it may in part be, but I believe it is mostly the side effect of the bottom line of the producers: profit.

Think about all the videos available that have been seen. How many people have distorted views of reality due to the nature of video that in its nature allows for a picture of almost any kind to be painted by the producers or creators of the content? More, these same techniques can easily be applied to any content that is offered. We can all do it, and we probably often do so without realizing it. It's part of our personal biases, or "wanting to believe."

Time to rethink what we've seen and heard and rethink about the serious limitations for what video can offer in terms of a medium for conveying of accurate or false information.

Mods: I realize there is a thread sharing this video already, but I felt my thread is substantially different in the aim of my message and that it would be appropriate as separate. The other one is focused specifically on Jesse Ventura while mine is on how videos are much a wrong avenue of choice as a source of accurate (not false) information.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by glitchinmymatrix

Awesome find!

I was not aware of how all that was done. I will be on the lookout now. Unfortunately, I will be even less inclined to believe what I see on the news.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by glitchinmymatrix

I knew this sort of thing went on, but not to that extent. I always found the "cutaways" to be troublesome, but now I will have a whole new "eye" and "ear" when viewing TV interviews.

What was mentioned in the video was just one small piece of the puzzle. Using questions instead of statements affects interpretation by the audience. Framing, but using certain vocabulary to lead the audience down a path to a related conclusion, even when that conclusion is never given is another.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Sphota

really good information, i will defintelty be more skeptical to news reports

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
very nice, thanks for posting this.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   
S&F for the Op. This is one of the better things I have seen on ATS in a long time. It's conspiracy centered, it's interesting, it teaches something, it's newsworthy.

I subscribed to Potholer54's you tube channel so I could watch more and learn more. If we all knew these tricks as well as an expert, we could have such richer experiences in out conspiracy findings.

I think it's interesting the two examples Jessie and Hancock are two major hitters in the ATS world.

top topics

join