It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkey give Syria ultimatum

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Turkey give Syria ultimatum

www.bloomberg.com

Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said the “time for words will be over” unless Syria ends military operations against its people.

The Syrian government must cease the armed attacks on civilians immediately, Davutoglu told reporters in televised comments from Ankara today.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nytimes.com
blogs.voanews.com

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
So Turkey wants to show that the international community has teeth. What will happen when Assad does not stop? Will Turkey intervene?

I feel like Turkey is the new Frat boy whos initiation is intervening in Syria.

I believe this intervention will be the trigger that will move the world from it's current proxy wars to larger regional wars. Last step is World War

www.bloomberg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
This only means that Turkey might cooperate with an international coalition if one is formed.
Turkey by themselves, will most likely not do anything at all, despite being furious at Iran (Syria's closest ally) for their insults that they are a "US policy extension" nation.
This can also be used as a diversionary tactic for the public as Turkey is currently going through internal turmoil with their top generals. The army must somehow re-connect with the public and prove that they are noble...

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Skerrako

Turkey really wants to part of the E.U. Why I don't know.

Maybe they are as just demonstrating that they can be as warmongering as the rest, therefore deserving a place within said union?

Or maybe this is payback for the protection the U.S gave them when they decided to invade Cyprus. Okay, it's been a long time coming, but??

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Its agains't the current Turkish governments policy to go to war with any of Turkeys neighbors. They're utilizing a fresh approach to diplomacy by trying to make up for the long long years of it, especially with the Mid East neighbors.

For one, they've been trying very hard to achieve a good conversational backbone with the Syrians so as to have some sort of say in the area when things go bad. Hence their ultimatum would not necessarily mean an all out assault but a completely economic one since they have eased up on the relationships in the past few years.
edit on 15-8-2011 by nusnus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

It has been mentioned in the shadows that the West is trying to control the next generation of ME regimes through Turkey. There is a reason why Turkey all of a sudden is acting harshly towards Israel, even though it has been one of Israel's best friends for some times, and still cooperate with the nation.

Turkey is trying to appease the Muslim population of the area, in order to gain support.

Even in Egypt, the reason why it is taking so long to implement "wink wink, nudge nudge" is because Turkey was using the time to establish its own political party in Egypt. The political party has been established, I forgot what it is named, it was reported recently.

Turkey's deceptive behaviour might get exposed and might put cause a lot of anger to spill on its direction. The US doesn't want to take the heat for installing more puppet regimes, so now indirectly doing it through Turkey. And indirectly keeping other dictators in power, through Saudi Arabia.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by confreak

It has been mentioned in the shadows that the West is trying to control the next generation of ME regimes through Turkey. There is a reason why Turkey all of a sudden is acting harshly towards Israel, even though it has been one of Israel's best friends for some times, and still cooperate with the nation.

Turkey is trying to appease the Muslim population of the area, in order to gain support.

Even in Egypt, the reason why it is taking so long to implement "wink wink, nudge nudge" is because Turkey was using the time to establish its own political party in Egypt. The political party has been established, I forgot what it is named, it was reported recently.

Turkey's deceptive behaviour might get exposed and might put cause a lot of anger to spill on its direction. The US doesn't want to take the heat for installing more puppet regimes, so now indirectly doing it through Turkey. And indirectly keeping other dictators in power, through Saudi Arabia.

I don't know where you came up with the idea that the US is behind all of this. I mean, for one, if the current gov was anywhere near as amiable to the US as you claimed it was, they would have given full fledged support to the bombing of Iraq from Incirlik AFB back when the US requested it. But instead the parliament voted it out and they didn't even bother apologizing

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by confreak

Interesting theory, not sure if the US is pulling the string here or if Turkey is doing it on their own though. Any way you can find that Turkish party name in Egypt for us?
edit on 15-8-2011 by Konstantinos because: clarity

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

My thoughts exactly. They have had one of the most interesting relationships between Europe and the middle east. It seems the old Ottoman Empire has a new partner in crime. Russia and Iran will not be pleased.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

turkish are same crap as syrians,if u know what they did with kurdish....

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Konstantinos

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5452512719a7.jpg[/atsimg]

Edit to add, that this is only a theory and I'm glad you mentioned that, just a theory worth discussing.
edit on 15-8-2011 by confreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by nusnus

There is talk, then there is action. Turkey has allowed US to use its territory to attack Iraq, even though they claim to be against it. The Incirlik Air Base played a critical role in Iraq war and most analyst would agree. Just like Turkey claiming to be against Israeli aggression, but their actions speak differently.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   

I think we are about to see the
Middle Eastern war that we have all been expecting!

Not just Syria and Turkey either, seems things are going downhill fast.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Let;'s not forget that Syria was ruled by the Ottoman Turks less than 100 years ago, and the border dispute over Hatay probably still annoys the syrians & could be used as an excuse by either side for action........

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by paradiselost333

I think we are about to see the
Middle Eastern war that we have all been expecting!

Not just Syria and Turkey either, seems things are going downhill fast.

I wouldn't worry to much about Turkey & Syria starting the conflict, I would be more worried about Iran starting crap with Israel, and THEN Syria and Turkey getting sucked in...

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Nonsense. Turkey is just making empty threats. The most they will do is create political and economical sanctions and call for other nations to do the same. Most countries will not get involved unless it benefits them. It will not benefit them to liberate the Syrian people, unless *highlly doubt* they do it to look good in other government's eyes. I think this is as far as Turkey will come.

new topics

top topics

join