It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mind the Mind, don't Mine my Mind

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Hello all, I hope the day is treating you well, as every day on this lovely planet should.
I come here today posting in the hopes that I may entertain and, if at all possible, enlighten some of you here.

While I more frequently delve into the abstract and “Surreal” phenomenon that are often overlooked or scoffed upon, this post is much more centered around “Science” as many of you know it, and the principles of psychology.

I see many posts here, both original posts and replies alike, that are riddled with psychological principles. To clarify, no, I am not trying to tell anyone here they are “Schizophrenic” or “borderline,” my opinion on the categorization of human beings into “Disorders” rests in the realm of: are you #ing kidding me, really? Interesting that there aren’t sets of “orders” in which you are categorized into a set of beneficial/good attributes. I believe Carl Jung was closer to achieving this with his personality test, and while it was more neutral than anything, compared to common psych. and pharmaceutical practices today, he seemed like a saint. While i am not condoning the idea of all people going off medications (as some are actually helpful to some) I do think that there is a bastardization of humanity going on. I need not convince many of you of this, and those of you that do need convincing, all I have to say is these practices are very much analogous to the state of most people and society – inextricably a sign of our times.

Moving along to what I came here to say.

Many posts and replies here are riddled with psychological principles, some of which are preconceived and intentional. Let us go over a couple, shall we?

Take for example this post:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

There is almost a unanimous base of replies, stating that the OP is a crock of bull hockery.

While I could create “Reasons” to say that there is something to the OP, the overwhelming sense of our current rationality leads us to believe that there is not much to go off or consider.

Consider this: Reverse Psychology.

Reverse psychology is a technique involving the advocacy of a belief or behavior that is opposite to the one desired, with the expectation that this approach will encourage the subject of the persuasion to do what actually is desired: the opposite of what is suggested.

We have already known that agencies, organizations, and individuals with their own agendas riddle this site with posts and replies, and these groups are but one tip of a sea of ice bergs. If I may add, honesty and integrity seem to be lost from many of these people, unfortunately.

In regard to the previously mentioned post, while the OP may have been honest in his sentiment, there are, I guarantee, plenty of posts and replies out there that are asserted by individuals from the aforementioned groups, and as mentioned, one of the psychological principles often used is reverse psychology.

For example, if one were to be privy to knowledge, or within an organization that knew that there was potential danger or panic-causing information regarding a set of cosmic bodies moving towards us, what would be a reasonable way to dissuade people from considering it? Let them know exactly what it is, or something very close to, but by posting details so ridiculous on the subject, the OP effectively dissuades those viewing the post from realizing any relevant information there-on-out.

I must clarify that I do not personally believe the previously mentioned post was an example of this, but merely pointing out what it would look like had it been an example of reverse psychology.

Another form of psychological principle involves a private message I received from an ATS member that ‘unknowingly’ posted on my birthday at 5:55 AM, trying to capture my attention. He stated that I was moving in and out of another dimension and that I was on a path of malicious intention. I promptly told him we are always experiencing shifts, as every moment that goes by is a new “dimension” and that time is indeed much more amorphous than most realize.

For this case, this would be an example of scare tactic or fear inducing, or as some of you like to reference it, “Fear mongering.” Whether this individual was acting under his own accord, or he himself was being manipulated to achieve a very obvious end, well that is a whole other story.

This technique is one of the most popular forms of persuasion, focusing upon or exaggerating negative consequences or conditions. As mentioned before, we seem to be in a society that focuses on supposed “disorders” and negative “conditions” so, yes, in a way, our system of categorizing human beings into disorders with negative consequences if you don’t buy meds is, you guessed it: scare tactics.

So you see, we are our own greatest guardians against the tyranny of mental manipulation, whether it’s the advertisements that are blasting your retinas, to the monotone voice that tells you “If your depression worsens…”

Fortunately, some of us have incredibly powerful minds and allies. I wish nothing, but solace for all of you, and hopefully some day, we may live in a society that lives harmoniously, focusing on reward and positivity, while we move on in stride.

And if I may add, positivity is underlined in red by Microsoft word, whereas negativity, is not.

Break it down.

(And for those of you that caught the first three quotes which all started with a capital S…SSS, kudos!)

What’s going to really burn your buns is, what if belief is more powerful than most…heh, believe?

I believe we are blowing up people’s minds (in a good way)

edit on 15-8-2011 by xacto because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
OP, is this some kind of psychological experiment you are trying to do on us? If so, I think I failed it, because I can't figure out what this thread is about.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by NightGypsy

Mind if i ask a direct question...did you mean to post at 1:11?

Furthermore, my computer has, in the last several hours, been infected with 64 spyware programs.

The point isn't beyond you, don't worry. The point is underneath a thin surface, and it's here for pretty much everyone. It'll show it's head in time, a revealing of sorts.

As for now, what i will say is this: How does one have freedom of choice, if they are unaware of their choices, or circumstances?

Hmm?

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
You do make a good point that a lot of thread are derailed not due to reasoned debate, but slanderous generalisations. It is up to the readers to look past opinion and pick out the facts to make a more reasonable assessment of the topic. It is a complex world and the mind is a complex machine, opinions do help in simplifying the issues to get to the point. This is also a weakness in trying to understand the relationships between concepts and other implications.

With such a complex world the sciences have allowed a structure to form with trusted opinions in specific areas of reality. With ongoing time, debate and research the strong opinions become facts and the weak ones thrown away. As long as social responsibility is maintained, a better understanding of life will develop as we learn and become more aware of just what is going on.

It is a tough process with many competing ideas, understandings and values going on. Out of all the possibilities it is the one standing.

new topics

top topics

join