It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Family on benefits move into £2 million home

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Family on benefits move into £2 million home

www.telegraph.co.uk

A family who fled war torn Somalia for Britain have exchanged their modest home in the West Midlands for a £2 million detached house in one of London’s smartest neighbourhoods – with the taxpayer picking up the bill.
Taking advantage of housing benefit rules introduced by the last Labour Government, jobless Saeed Khaliif, 49, his wife Sayida and their children have been able to set up home in fashionable West Hampstead, an area beyond the reach of many well heeled house-hunters in the capital.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
here's a WTF moment . .... or is this a FTW story ?
Funding cuts to the police......
www.telegraph.co.uk...
without whom the recent unrest would still be going , and THIS guy , who can't speak English , but has a handle on most every loophole !
It's a crazy world , and seems to be getting sillier , by the day !

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by radarloveguy

hi op
yeh this pees me of
but its not the first time this has happend
if ur british born u get bugger all
this bloody government are absolutely stupid greedy b*****ds

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Does it not seem that both your government and our's (here in America) appear to be engaging in practices that are almost guaranteed to make many of us angry and disaffected?

I can't imagine what rationale there might be for this housing 'decision' except that I, as a member of the 'great unwashed masses,' could never comprehend their vast wisdom. I hope you all can determine the source of the decision to allow this, let alone the reason.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
With the current situation in the UK right now, It is like a prison, I would not like to be the person WITH surrounded by those WITHOUT.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
How do you get into the UK from Somalia? Why don't these people go into another country close by so when the trouble has finished you can go home to your own country? But no, come travel to the UK, get a council house by leap frogging over the heads of people who actually deserve that house and have waited years.

Immigration is infuriating people in this country but its yet another cheapee labourer that we should not be accepting. What precisely is this family's link to our society? zilch!

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
These people know the law and rules better than anybody, it was at somepoint, for their own survivial. Now I think a lot is greed as we see here.

Unfortunately that tarnishes the people that are grateful for help and need it.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Can this story be real?? I mean, there is no chance this guy is a paid asset to British Intelligence or something? I'm just thinking...Somalia has been a hotspot with Western special forces working for a couple years at the very least. It wouldn't be the first time someone was picked out of a nightmare and dropped into fantasyland because they are willing to burn their buddies back home...? I know the United States brought Iraqis in during both the 90/91 war and this one under those circumstances..

If he's just an average shmoe that was in grinding poverty in Africa one day...and not too far into the future, sits in a home most of us will never even SEE something similar to in person, perhaps England should consider RETROACTIVE changes to a welfare system that is just so far beyond any concept of control, it's something to literally laugh at. What else is there? I thought the American Section 8 housing program was outrageous..Apparently, I'd seen nothing here.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Immigrants eh? We should do something about them, like wave our fists in the air and read the Daily Wail while waving our fists in the air even more, bloody immigrants! While we're at it we should do something about the gays, you know, spreading their filthy diseases and such. Oh oh oh, let's not forget the hoodies, we should do something about them as well, we should hang them all!

Or we could try this, live and let live? We could try being understanding and not getting so wound up about the simple stuff? The house they are living in is VALUED at £2mil but is that what it's worth, I bet it isn't but it makes a great headline! I'm an immigrant myself, came over here from the US and now pay UK tax on my earnings. Does it bother me that this family are living in a home I am (in a very small way) paying for? Not one bit, simply, I couldn't give a sh*t because I don't sweat the small stuff and I'm a lot happier for it...

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Shows you how blessed can become on the welfare system. Even if you're not a native. Doesn't matter if you have to work or not. The taxpayers will pay for anything.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
just in , these results show a definite trend ,

.... a very silly one !

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
8000GBP/month rent..this CAN not be real? And the gvt is paying this?

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

Does it not seem that both your government and our's (here in America) appear to be engaging in practices that are almost guaranteed to make many of us angry and disaffected?

I can't imagine what rationale there might be for this housing 'decision' except that I, as a member of the 'great unwashed masses,' could never comprehend their vast wisdom. I hope you all can determine the source of the decision to allow this, let alone the reason.

Definitely!

I fought for my country and I cant even get on a council waiting list let alone a place!

Pisses me off no end!

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Unfortunately it's not the first time but given the change in the scheme capping it at £400 per week for a 4 Bedroom property - it won't happen again. The OP case happened just before the changes were made.
New Housing Benefits Rules

People were playing a system that is devoid of all common sense or fairness.
Here are 2 quotes from this link 2010 Story

She is believed to have found the property through a private letting agency on the internet rather than wait for Westminster council to house her. She then applied to the council for the maximum allowed benefits of £1,600 a week. The house has two bathrooms, a double living room, large kitchen and landscaped garden.

“I'm separated from my husband. He's a solicitor in Derby but I don't know if he's working at the moment. He doesn't pay anything towards the kids. Things are quite difficult between us. The house is lovely and very big but I don't have enough furniture to fill it.”
CSA?? Why is the dad inputting nothing to this family? Solicitor so must be on a reasonable wage? Another government failure allowing dads to just walk away from their responsibilities to their children.

I suppose what infuriates people (including myself) is that why should people who are NOT working be enjoying a better standard of living than those who bust their ass for 50+ hours a week working? It makes you wonder why bother when it was meant as a safety net to ensure people out of work or with children don't end up homeless, can still eat etc - NOT to live in 2 million pound houses filled with flat screen TVs and Leather sofas not so you could claim almost £10,000 a month in benefits? WTF - why is anyone on benefits being given the equivalent of a 6 figure salary?

That is the injustice in this system - and politicians wonder why people aren't in any rush to get back to work!! Would you knowing you could then no longer afford to pay your 6000 rent each month. Of course not.

The anger I have is not with the people who do this - although there is a sense that they are just playing the system and milking it for all they can - but the corrupt and very wrong system that even entertains this in the first place.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Beat the system with the system middle man is screwed again.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Aaaaarrrgggghhhh just bloody Aaaarrrggghhhh.

I've been waiting for 10 years for a poxy council house and some Somali git who can't even be bothered to learn English moves into a 2 million house......aaaaarrrrggghhhh.

AAaaaaarrrrgggghhhh.

Cosmic...

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

A few years back when I was in a flat with family, son, young daughter and one more on way - I fought for months, and I mean fought, against the local housing association.
I had meetings with my MP, local councillors, solicitors, complaints department, health and safety executive everything to push to get us moved into a 3 bed house.
In the end - they finally conceded and we got our move - but I cannot tell you the stress this caused on our household...they kept trying to fob me off but I just kept refuting their letters and statements and just kept fighting, emails, phonecalls, visits to the housing office.
I honestly think in the end they moved me to stop me being a complete pain in their backside - I just kept on and on and on at them all the time - because I refused to accept we weren't suitable for this house (as we were clearly no longer OK to be in a 2 bed flat when there was 5 of us)
But yea - I can see why people give up.
You have to be at them like a terrier - never once got aggressive cause they will take you off the list - but I just never, ever gave up.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Crazy story.

It's no better here in Australia. I know a three bedroom housing commission house being let at subsidised rates to a single 30ish female. Nuts. You think she would be put in a one bedroom flat, while a family moved in to her residence.

Government policy... outstanding! (Not)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Do you think these stories, and this policy, isn't in place to villainize basic equalizing care, and the only proper use of any tax dollars. school, university, health care, and social benfits of any kind, safety net, highways and some infastructure. Anything else is highway robbery and the only purpose is to boomerang back. No civilized society does not look after their own family.

Also there are no slaves, no one has the right to deprive people of land, and resources without expecting slavery to corporations. I'm way beyond this philosophy, for our entire economic system is slavery, slavery is a massive crime akin to rape, murder, dismemberment and torture, right up there with the worst crimes of earth, and supporting this system in any way is criminal act to me. Period. I don't compromize with evil.

Now, do you think this is done so people feel good about helping each other? Do you think the lack of jobs, or having things done in job sharing ways, reduced work hours, lots of free training and endless opportunities to contribute with respect for health, childcare, and age, so all are well cared for, would not be a better system, with or without money? Why is done this way? Why would they create such an injustice that it makes the average over burdened person see red? Its done by intent! These policies are in place to separate people and to turn off their natural love and equality, and lower their frequency.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Not surprised.
In the USA statistically it is supposed to be 49% of taxpayers taking care of the other 51% of people.
And even before 'refugees' started flooding here normal citizens who chose to have multiple illegitimate children benefit from the welfare system.

While those who are child free, like myself and several peers, have to foot the bill for those people.
So because we choose not to reproduce, it seems that we do not need our money as much as those who do.

They would never do that for a struggling British family. So why is it that those people get that special treatment?

Charity begins at home. I am sure there are many unemployed and homeless UK citizens.
Why weren't any of them given that type of aid?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join