It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study finds mean people earn more money

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Study finds mean people earn more money

The phrase "Nice guys finish last" appears to be the case in who gets paid the most.

According to a study by several researches, "agreeable" workers make significantly lower than their less agreeable counterparts, with the gap being wider among men.

The study, titled "Do Nice Guys—and Gals—Really Finish Last?", used survey data to examine "agreeableness" and found that men who disagreed far greater make 18%- or $9,772 annually- more in salary than those who agree. The salary disparity is far less among women, with disagreeable females making 5% or $1,828 than those who agree more.

The study contained data from over 20 years from three different surveys, and interviewed 10,000 workers from a wide range of fields. The researchers also included a separate study based on 460 business students asked to be fictional managers and review descriptions of possible employees. That separate study revealed that being nice does not bring professional success, as those viewed as more agreeable were less likely to get the job.

18% is no small difference!!!

I'm off to yell at somebody...

edit on 15-8-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
And yet, when I've tried to stand up for myself, and fight back for my right to do my job, I get a write up!
Go figure.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I thought we already had a thread regarding this weeks ago

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I often find that ALL managers have a certain level of arrogance around them, specially the ones that dont know how to solve a problem by themselves. However, when we start talking regional managers, then where talking about the nasty of nasties! Those types of managers come with red tape shoved where the sun doesnt shine, Complete wankers who care not a jot how hard you work.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
So...that is why I am financially challenged......I am just too polite, caring and nice. I knew it had to be something!

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
So this study says that you are considered mean if you disagree??

What a shocker that timid people make less money. Those are usually the people who are followers and are afraid to take charge. Those people need leaders and the leaders get paid more.

It’s like the shy nice guy who is scared to talk to girls, they lose out.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Good post. Yes and the more money You make the greater the "chance" is that greed encapsulate you'r tought's.

Especially the superrich, gets to much influence and power which is used in all sorts of ways to further improve the treasury. In this quest for power and riches many horrible decision's has been made. Some of these "atrocities" is so mean that they almost could be catagorized as evil.
edit on 15-8-2011 by Mimir because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I'm awfully sweet. I suppose that explains why I am not making ANY money. lol

I gotta get mean. Rar. I'll start with my husband.

I think it speaks to the idea that conspiracy workings are really just a side effect of a capitalist system.
It is dog eat dog after all.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Are beautiful people 'selfish by nature'? People with symmetrical faces are more self-sufficient and less likely to co-operate, new research suggests

According to a study to be discussed this month at a gathering of Nobel prizewinners, people blessed with more symmetrical facial features, which are considered more attractive, are less likely to co-operate and more likely to selfishly focus on their own interests.

The study found that people with more symmetrical faces were less likely to co-operate and less likely to expect others to co-operate. The findings will be presented at the annual Nobel Laureate Meetings in Lindau, Germany, from 23 to 27 August.

The explanation may be found in evolution. The two academics speculate that, on a subconscious level, people tend to view symmetrical physical attributes as a sign of good health and find people with them more attractive as a result. Earlier studies have suggested that individuals with symmetrical faces tend to suffer fewer congenital diseases and therefore make better potential mating partners. As a result, the studies suggest, they are more self-sufficient and have less need for seeking the help of others.

Wow! Today we have studies on mean and selfish!

I'm off to look for a trifecta!!!!

edit on 15-8-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew.. pew pew!

Not really much to say on your assault of symmetrical people. It could be after being gawked at/molested and hit upon by everything under the sun you learn to distance yourself from others, or gain weight. The simple fact is that uglies err asymmetrical people often have unrealistic expectations of symmetrical people. So you just learn to avoid people, hence the self sufficient part...
edit on 16-8-2011 by korathin because: spelling error

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   
to coin a phrase...your on the money op.....
ive been running a landscape bussiness for some 20 years now and i can tell you from experience the rich and mean will argue and get you down to last dollar,and the richer they are (generally,because there is occasionally a rare exeption)the harder they will try to keep hold of their money,and even cry poor,these people wont give an inch for any reason,its like their money is an illness they cant get rid of.....

i once read in the ginues book of world records "world biggest miser" it was a lady in the U.K who waited for free transport to take her injured son to the hospital,it took so long her son lost his leg,it was revealed she had more than 16 million pounds in the bank,this in 1980 or so

peace

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   
I've always thought this to be true, you have to be ruthless and a little nasty to get ahead.
You have to be selfish and not really concern yourself with your colleagues.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
It's no real surprise is it? I mean have you ever been out for a drink or meal with mean people. They don't join in on buying rounds of drinks, just pay for their own and make sure they bring a calculator to a meal so they can work out exactly what they ate.

They may earn more money, but they are less fun to be around.
edit on 16-8-2011 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   
So what you're saying is any people who earn less money are kinder? Somehow, the contrapositive reveals how absurd this is. Why do people always equate having money with having the love of money? There are plenty of poor people who have a love of money and they're not kinder just for being poor.
edit on 16-8-2011 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

well actually yeah....its not always the case,but generally people who have less are kinder are more likely to want to help,and are more likely to share....the more money you have ,the more likely you are to try real hard to keep a hold of it and the less likely you are to share.....

peace

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   
maybe it isn't so much that mean people are paid more as it is that pretty people are more apt to be be mean and selfish, and are also more apt to earn more money??
I've tried being mean at work.....almost lost my job...
tried being nice also, almost lost my job...
now I just try to blend into the woodwork, seems to work!!!

edit on 16-8-2011 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by hopenotfeariswhatweneed
reply to post by 547000

well actually yeah....its not always the case,but generally people who have less are kinder are more likely to want to help,and are more likely to share....the more money you have ,the more likely you are to try real hard to keep a hold of it and the less likely you are to share.....

peace

It might have been the case in earlier times. But people nowadays, poor too, have a love of money. Too much materialism.

Sometimes I just want to give most of my things away in live a simple life. Maybe buy a shack near a library or join a monastary. I actually feel somewhat guilty for having wealth. I see it as an obstacle at times. I want treasure in heaven, earthly riches doesn't concern me as much.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Makes sense to me. People in charge need to show the employees who is boss and be a good commander.

You can't have good guy joe the manager of a fast food chain, he will just get used and abused by the thugs working there.

You need someone to bitch at someone because they are doing something wrong to keep your numbers good, if you don't they will just keep doing it. If they leave so be it, they were loosing you money.

new topics

top topics

join