It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rhodesia, the destruction of a country?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
The belonging of this thread to the "New World Order" forum is a bit unclear to me, so mods, if you don't agree with my placing it here, please move it or delete it at your leisure, and apologies for the trouble in such an event.

Anyway! I found this video when surfing the 'Tube. I like historical videos, and I'm fascinated with both South Africa's and Rhodesia's history as Africa's last white minority ruled nations, mainly not because of their politics, but because of their militaries, which were, by all accounts, incredibly strong and resiliant, not to mention survived without any outside aid whatsoever.

Please note, I'm not taking sides for or against this video. I just thought it interesting, and it strikes me that doing what reputedly happened according to this video, to Rhodesia, is exactly the kind of trouble the New World Order elites would love to stir up, especially at the end of the colonial era.

Anyways, here's the video, without further ado.

Please, let me know what y'all think about Rhodesia. Did the white government give in too soon, before the blacks were ready? Did they give in too late? Did it really have to end the way it did? Please discuss. And please note, again, I've neither supported or rejected the claims of the video, and won't do so here. Just putting it up for the sake of argument.
edit on 15-8-2011 by David_Reale because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
They gave into the wrong people it wasnt about timing. And it should be a big red flag that the mainstream western press was as supportive of Mugabe as they were .. they were coo coo over his co co puffs in a manner of speaking.

I have some South African friends who have the following joke.

What’s the difference between Zimbabwe and South Africa?
About 10 years.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
That's a good joke. As Homer Simpson says, "It's funny because it's true".
Though of course, in truth, it's not that funny, rather, on the contrary a bit sad. Of course, there's no denying that Apartheid had to go, but the country sure is going through some rough times right now. And as for Rhodesia ("We say Zimbabwe nowadays, don't we?"), I won't even point out the troubles there as I'm sure everyone knows of them.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

And that is a joke we dread coming true.

Zimbabwe was far better under Ian Smith than under a black government. Black leadership in Africa is a tragic failure. I could not care for any who'll flame at me because, i live in S.Africa, we have seen it, experienced it and we still live it, everyday.
edit on 8/15/2011 by qonone because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by qonone

I won't agree wholeheartedly with you. *Cough*Nelson Mandela*Cough*. But I know what you mean. All racial aspects aside, Rhodesia went to Hell when Mugabe took power. And after the fall of Apartheid, South Africa has, instead of Apartheid hitsquads, been plagued with violence, crime, and corruption. Now, I didn't approve of Apartheid, and is glad to see it gone, but somewhere along the line, somebody must have made a mistake.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

I met a Rhodesian that any woman would love. Personable, attentive, witty and caring. He told me he was a mercerary in his homeland before he left there. He did not seem racist or have any kind of negative attitude towards others that I could detect. When he spoke of his homeland though, there was a sense of betrayal in his voice and he would quickly change the subject. I once felt that the divide was even morethan race, one of opportunity and education and that blacks were not treated well enough. But Mugabe has done little to elevate his people to a position of respect and self-sufficiency.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by qonone

You know the area and the politics a lot better than I do, but I think the reason Rhodesia went downhill so fast was that there were so few whites there that they were politically and violent steamrolled overnight. SA, on the other hand, has a much more well developed economy than Rhodesia ever did and whites were a much larger proportion of the population than Rhodesia.

I know there have been a lot of attacks on farmers in SA, but due to SA’s less restrictive gun laws it hasn’t been anywhere near as bad as Zimbabwe.

If that day ever comes where SA decides to really clamp down on gun ownership, better make for the exit.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

I do not know the history too well. What i have seen, the people who have told us, i know the Ndebele people were brutally murdered by Mugabe's Shona henchmen. Women & children raped and burnt. Women & children hacked in pieces by them. I can't say Joshua Nkomo was a good man but he would have been a better leader. At least he looked for ways to improve relations, but, Father Zimbabwe was a coward in the end.

Mugabe is pure evil. With Mugabe it's always been more than a race issue alone. He killed thousands of civilians (Ndebele people) in 1983 by trying to take out Joshua Nkomo's ZAPU. I believe Mugabe and his Shona henchmen did it cause they are evil. Proven when he killed thousands of his own race.

reply to post by David_Reale

I am not arguing that, Mandela is a good man. It is Mandela's successors that proves me correct, again. The "After sex, take a shower. You won't get AIDS then" that man, who is our president now!
Funny ass continent this is!

edit on 8/15/2011 by qonone because: grammar

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by qonone

Zimbabwe

Most of the 'whenwe's' that I know, still refer to themselves as Rhodesian not Zimbabwean. It's almost as if their country died and what is in it's place bears no resemblance whatsoever to what they left behind.

Mugabe is a psychopath, pure evil. The fact that world leaders do nothing but wring their hands and shake their heads about the problem that is Mugabe then do sweet FA about him, yet 'liberate' other countries from 'dictators' to lay claim to THEIR oil makes my blood boil!!

I haven't lived in SA for nearly 16 years and sadly, I don't think that 'joke' is far from the truth. IMO the glue that is holding SA together IS Mandela, and when he's gone, the likes of the Malema's will make short work of turning it into the next Zimbabwe. With as much gold as SA has, I wonder will that be 'allowed' to happen??

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by HighMaintenance

You are totally spot on. Majority of Rhodesians here, no matter their skin colour, hates being called Zimbabwean. Zimbabwe is derived from a Shona word 'dzimbadzamabwe' which means 'house of stone' - So, no wonder the Ndebele's hate the name so much. Rhodesia it will be, always.

edit on 8/16/2011 by qonone because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
A lot of interesting comments. And I think you guys are spot on, both in regard to Rhodesia (Mugabe is one of the people I would, seriously, love to kill with my own, two hands....murderous dog...) and South Africa. There are, even from my point of view on the other side of the planet, some very concerning tendencies in South Africa...something like reversed racism, just like what you see in Zimbabwe today, though in smaller scale (thanks to SA's gun laws, probably). I dread the day that Nelson Mandela passes away, because I'm fairly certain South Africa may indeed walk down a very familiar path when that happens...

But, as Eeben Barlow, famous South African military tactical genius and ex-mercenary (of sorts), said; "Only Africans, black and white, can solve Africa's problem."

top topics

join