It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Thoughts on Deepak Chopra

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I'm a pretty big fan of Deepak Chopra. After reading Creating Affluence: The A-to-Z Steps to a Richer Life, I learned how to change the way I think to become wealthier and thus happier. Since then I've bought two other books, and am in the process of reading them, but they are much deeper than the A-to-Z Step book and are taking a longer time to process.

So when I heard about a Deepak Chopra video game on a gaming website, I was pretty ecstatic. gaygamer.net... is a link to the article. But I noticed a lot of the comments expressed their displeasure of hearing about Deepak Chopra's connection to the game.

1) it is a shame the crackpot Deepak Chopra is associated with it.
2) Chopra's the kind of huckster who only learns enough sciencey gobbledygook to make his latest product sound plausible to gullible people (including journalists).
3) The screenshots make it look trippy and aesthetically interesting, but the association with the quack Deepak Chopra has all but ensured that I will never purchase this software.
4) I'm also with the rest of the gang on this one.. Deepak Chopra is a shoddy quack.

I feel like I'm in the minority, and I'm trying to figure out if I'm really so foolish to follow his wisdom, or if they're just being close minded to a better way of life, similar to Aristotle's shadows on the wall.

So basically, I'm asking your thoughts on Deepak Chopra -- any thoughts -- subjective or objective. There must be a reason people think he's a quack, but is this truth or lack of understanding? Is it similar to the shadows on the wall? In the parable there are people in a cave and they are fearful to leave because they see frightening shadows on the wall. But a man finally leaves and he sees that there is all of this food and great things outside, and he goes back in to tell the others about it, but they don't believe him. Since he knows the truth he can't stay inside the cave any longer, so he abandons them.
edit on 15-8-2011 by Xaberz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I love me some Deepak. He is a metaphysical staple and an inspiration. Some people will call him a quack because they just don't understand the metaphysical implications that he is talking about.

As far a game associated with his name, I can't picture it. What kind of game is it. Puzzle (put you self image together), Hidden Object(find your higher self), Battling Negative Emotions?

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Xaberz

I really like Deepak Chopra in spite of the fact I think he has gone a little commercial. Still that doesn't make him bad, the man has to eat.

He is the first guide I turn to in times of death to comfort others. Also Elizabeth Kubler Ross is great for the grieving.
Even Christianity's promise of heaven does not have as hopeful and comforting a message of our connectedness to each other and our inevitable return to our loved ones as Deepak and the Eastern Traditions
Deepak Chopra takes the best of ancient eastern wisdom and gives it a modern relate-able, western twist.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Deepak is New Age. If you are OK with New Age thinking, he's great, adds a touch of "science", obviously makes lots of people feel good.

If you see problems with New Age thinking, the faulty reasoning, the lack of evidence, the appeal to emotion, then you might consider Deepak as just one more riding the gravy train.

Personally, I think he's still a bit better than some of the overly religious nut-jobs. There are some gems now and again I suppose from most of these popular gurus, but even if they just pretend to give a nod to science, it still comes out better than some of the more traditional cult nonsense.

I guess you have to take the good with the bad.

JR

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
when you mix religion and medicine and psychology and stuff together, well of course scientists are going to object, and i find no fault with their criticisms i think theyre entitled to it.

so thats why these children on a game forum are calling him a quack, they think it makes them seem more intelligent by insulting the man. they might not have medical backgrounds, but if a scientist criticizes chopra, then they can too.

not that i subscribe to any of that alternative medicine or asian mysticism, i dont, but i think at the base level, what hes really writing about is being kind to each other, and thats something that everyone should be able to agree with.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
He is a great teacher and has only good intentions, we need more like him in this world

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Wow, this game looks amazing. It almost makes me want to get Kinect, except those things creep me out.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword
I love me some Deepak. He is a metaphysical staple and an inspiration. Some people will call him a quack because they just don't understand the metaphysical implications that he is talking about.

As far a game associated with his name, I can't picture it. What kind of game is it. Puzzle (put you self image together), Hidden Object(find your higher self), Battling Negative Emotions?

I looked at the trailer for Deepak Chopra's game Leela www.youtube.com... and it looks similar to the PS3 game Flow, where you are a microorganism and you float around trying to eat other microorganisms and evolve. This game centers around meditation and unlocking your chakras, while concentrating on aesthetically pleasing images and music.

In a way, it looks like something similar to the Wii Fit, but instead of exercising your body, it will be exercising your mind and spirituality, but since you have to move your body, it is a sort of exercise too.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by snarfbot
what hes really writing about is being kind to each other, and thats something that everyone should be able to agree with.

That was one of my reactive thoughts when I read their comments. I was initially going to post a response, asking why they thought he was a quack, and mention that the majority of his wisdom he is trying to impart is to be kind towards one another, and if that's what a quack is, then Jesus was a quack too.

But I didn't make any comment. I suppose I was thinking about the Shadows on the Wall parable. After the man found out how wonderful it was outside the cave, none of the others believed him. So I felt like I would just be replying to deaf ears.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Why worry so much about other peoples opinion on him. If his words ring true for you, then continue to follow them. If they don't then move on

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xaberz
I'm a pretty big fan of Deepak Chopra. After reading Creating Affluence: The A-to-Z Steps to a Richer Life, I learned how to change the way I think to become wealthier and thus happier.

He's a pleasant enough Indian guy. He's also a total professional when it comes to his writing career. Like that one "Conversations With God" guy and that entire publishing/seminar industry he's building off the transcendence he's achieved. Deepak is a hardcore capitalist, and I guess it depends on whether the Jesus that claimed it "easier for a camel to slip through the eye of a needle than a rich man to slip through the gates of Heaven" (paraphrased, of course) was full of sh*t or not, as to whether Deepak is "spiritual" or enlightened,or whatever it is that he's selling in whatever book it is that you just bought off him.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
You must realize that when someone speaks the truth there are people out there that are paid to make them seem foolish. Follow your heart.

When one person tries to make him seem foolish, the fools that do not understand nor have tried to understand will automatically agree that the people who speak the truth are fools.

Listen to yourself, you have all the answers.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xaberz

Originally posted by windword

I looked at the trailer for Deepak Chopra's game Leela www.youtube.com... and it looks similar to the PS3 game Flow, where you are a microorganism and you float around trying to eat other microorganisms and evolve. This game centers around meditation and unlocking your chakras, while concentrating on aesthetically pleasing images and music.

In a way, it looks like something similar to the Wii Fit, but instead of exercising your body, it will be exercising your mind and spirituality, but since you have to move your body, it is a sort of exercise too.

Of course, this isn't DC's first game. It's just the first game that he released that wasn't wicked expensive.

Deepak Chopra's wicked expensive computer game

new topics

top topics

join