It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Britain 'knew about nuclear network'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Long before it came to the public attention The BBC has been told that British intelligence knew about a nuclear smuggling network yet did very little to intervene. Following Saddam Hussein's defeat United Nations held a series of inspections of Iraq's military facilities, where they found documents offering to sell nuclear expertise and equipment to Saddam Hussein in the months leading up to the Gulf War back in 1991.

BBC NEWS
"When I saw the document I was really stunned by it. This was like a smoking gun document of some really horrific thing taking place and I was surprised by the lack of follow-up. It didn't seem to be taken that seriously".

Creating a successful nuclear weapons programme is highly complex and technically demanding. Until now it has been thought to be beyond the reach of nations trying to do so secretly.

But the Khan network changed all that. It offered off-the-shelf solutions for regimes which until recently were thought incapable of mounting a credible nuclear threat.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Related Links
The Today Programme Pakistan government British Foreign Office
Muammar Gaddafi website
On the trail of the black market bombs
Profile: Abdul Qadeer Khan
Khan Research Laboratories
Federation of American Scientists - Pakistan nuclear background

"He has armed his own country, Pakistan, and then made a fortune selling equipment and expertise to Iran and North Korea. Despite Mr Khan confessing to this, Iran still denies having a nuclear weapons programme."

Reading this makes me think that those WMD are very real and it�s just a matter of time before they are found Saddam could have easy bought nuclear weapons on the black market he had all the help he ever needed to get them.

[edit on 8-18-2004 by Valhall]

[edit on 8-20-2004 by Valhall]

ME

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Well this is just grand, eh?

F'n Government's . . .

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Is this really shocking? Both the US and UK and France and Germany etc etc sold Sadam weapons and parts etc. Esp when they were fighting Iran. The Brits knew all about Bulls supergun and because they were producing parts in UK factories let it slide. They did not raid the shipping yards untill the Mossad wacked Bull. Im not singling out the Brits here. Almost all the major nations have Iraqi skelitons in thier closets.....

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Not the German government but some countries from here, owned by American and British investors. How ironic.
Anyway, it's politics as everywhere - we have big companies selling stuff to those alleged terrorist countries, we have it covered up and the people don't get prosecuted and in the end we have people that say that the whole country sold weapons to those

The only thing I believe is that Lybia is armed up with several kinds of WMD.

top topics

join