It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Those We Call Cavemen Were All That Remained Of Humanity After The Last Time We Destroyed Ourselves

page: 85
<< 82  83  84   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by NavyDoc

LOL. You are quite right. My wife has a doctorate in anthropology and she has said frequently that when they say "ritual purposes" for an artifiact, translate that as "we don't know what the heck it was for."

Reminds me of this:

Yeah the good old Motel of Mysteries, one of my favourites. I use to put that on the 101 suggested reading list. It had some great humour and warned about trying to shoehorn everything into 'religion'.

However sometimes an artifact IS for ritual purposes, the trick is know which is which

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by AngryCymraeg

Originally posted by Shadow Herder

Originally posted by AngryCymraeg

Originally posted by blocula
reply to post by Hanslune

Nothing lasts forever and i can still hear my great grandmothers words telling me when i was younger, everytime another person close to her died "here today,gone tomorrow and i know i'm next" and once, she was next and although i didnt think of it then and i wouldnt tell her this now even if i could, this reality is even worse than that, because its actually "here today,gone today and anyone could be next,any moment of any day" nothing lasts forever...

edit on 5-7-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

.... so still no proof then?

Troll reply.

Funny. Not. Blocula makes these wildly implausible claims in thrtead after thread. He then refuses to provide any proof whatsoever, other then some links that doesn't seem to have properly read, or some quotes that appear to be profound but which are instead totally irrelevant. He has been challenged, by many people, again and again. He either ignores them or replies with some tosh. He is not, as a direct result, being taken seriously. Why should he after wasting our time with these sterile threads?

Yep still no proof......lol

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus

Originally posted by metaldemon2000
reply to post by SirMike

Those would all succumb to the destructive nature of the elements. All metals eventually oxidize. Some would be buried. Others would be repurposed and then eventually lost.

Google the baghdad battery though. A very interesting ancient artifact. Or just google OOparts in general. Heck ill go find a link.

I like history channel's life after people series, it's an interesting take on how quickly things break down when left to the elements.. without people around to maintain and repair the things that exists presently, nature comes in and reclaims it rather quickly.. bacteria and insects have free reign, animal and plant life.. not much is left even after a couple hundred years.

Additionally any cataclysm that would wipe out most of civilization would take its own toll on the structures humans would have built. An asteroid impact for example would incinerate cities if it were to hit land or explode above the cities, or wash them away if it were to hit water and create a tsunami. In what I believe to be the last iteration of great civilization, most of the land mass was covered by glaciers so basically all the worlds cities were coastal and near the equator. We know the glaciers melted and buried the remains of those cities under water but what caused it? I don't believe it was global warming as they'd have had time to move to higher ground so it had to be something quick and unexpected.

Another thing that must be considerd in regards to lack of evidence is the ice age glaciers. Glaciers are the most powerful force on the planet and would easily scrape any city right off the foundation and grind everything in that city to particles of dust.

As the OP suggests, the survivors of that cataclysm would have been thrown back to the Bone Age and been what we call cavemen. The civilizations that popped up like the Canaanites & Sumerians were remnants of the former civilizations elite who had a massive underground survival complex much like we build today. I believe it is the Hopi that say they survived by living underground with the snake people and came out after the environment was safe again.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by LowTechRedneck

Erm, the OP has (or rather had, as he hasn't been seen for about a year now) a habit of introducing threads based on ridiculous premises.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Okay, Time for a very long-time lurker to say his piece.

This is going to be a semi-rambling post covering a few things, bear with me (or not),

Good evening all, this is my favorite speculative "fun" topic, and the one that brings out quality ideas and information from both the "radical free-thinker" types and the "well educated, versed in archaeological history" types.. when these two camps merge, its can be a beautiful thing.
I'm fond of seeing the "closed skeptic minds" throws some theories of their own into the mix (as rarely as that happens), as much as I like my current theories to be shaken up whenever some bit of evidence comes to light or rings true to me (an example from this thread was the "there is nothing really strange about the frozen mammoths in Antarctica" post... some of that is throws a different light on things and i had not seen that information before.)

Now, being a long time lurker, I also have seen the ugly side to forums like ATS, places that i would have -thought- been bastions of alternative or independent speech. But im seeing more and more of a following trend:

- its not the outright "Skeptics" that pose so much of a headache and barrier for ideas to be thrown around, its the "wanna-be-professors" as Shadow herder so eloquently put them.. members that spend time, posts and energy with nothing but scorn not over what has been said, but ultimately the way that it has been expressed and .. (even more so as the thread goes on).. literally against every single thing that person will post from that point on.

I have been shocked at the vitriol, scorn, and rabid energetic efforts some people around here take to tear some ideas down.
Is is -really- necessary?
lets take blokula here? you see FEEL his enthusiasm, you see him speculatiing...you see a comaraderie as people share their enthusiasm for the subject.. and i smile as some interesting titbits people throw in and things that and thought processes that i recognise. people also quite fairly list where the evidence doesnt add up.. .but the lack of evidence - could- be explained too.
THEN... along comes someone like Hanslune... who doesnt like what he sees.. so he disagrees.. and then he gets irritated.. so then its time to argure every single point.... long past when its obvious the thread is derailed and his mission to embarass and discriedit the OP has succeeded.
was it worth it?
even more amusingly predictable is when someone much more open minded like Shadow herder comes along and applies the same critique.. then all of a sudden its "harrassment" or its "you're just arguing for the sake of it".

I am going to say it straight up:
ATS is wonderfully proud of its ability to spot a fraudster, and to point out flawed evidence... but that "attack at all costs" attitude it is also the source of ALL the nastiest vitriol, personal attacks, arrogant close mindedness and outright hostility on these forums. Then It dawned on me.

Its fear.
Its fear that someone who -isnt- as intelligent as me could possibly hold such an opinion.
its fear that after all my research and skeptisim that deep down i could be -wrong-
its fear that they cant admit they are skeptics.. they are just "educated in the facts".
and its fear that someone "not with the same beliefs as me" could be right.

ts easy to ridicule Blokula's use of Edgar Cayce's prophecies as a source.... do you feel better? did you open your mind to one second of anything else he said? or did you engage in a 85 page mission to prove you right?

Its so hard to eloquently pin down.. but its one thing to offer an alternative suggestion or two provide a credible dismissal... but if the thread is -that- horrific to you ... why the hell hang around and waste your time?

I saw a thread start with a topic that i enjoyed, with interesting ideas and commonalities thrown about.. I knew where I disagreed on some people regarding the Piri reis map.. but that's semantics and personal opinion, I like the flow of ideas.

..then saw 60 pages of "lets pick on the OP , he is an easy target for my ego and need to character assassinate him".

Thank you shadow herder for at least trying to point out the flaws in a few rabid posters around here.. and Blocula, you have a good heart I can feel it, I get you dude, the fact that you put up with all of that and just did not tell them to "get F**** is incredible.

I feel sorry, for the closed minded cloaked in a protective guise of "education".
Few of them started that way.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ozziedogg76
lets take blokula here? you see FEEL his enthusiasm, you see him speculatiing...you see a comaraderie as people share their enthusiasm for the subject.. and i smile as some interesting titbits people throw in and things that and thought processes that i recognise. people also quite fairly list where the evidence doesnt add up.. .but the lack of evidence - could- be explained too.

Yes, the ignorant tend to cling to their ignorance. This is a common condition. Nobody likes the existential moment.

Education is a painful process. You say you are a lurker here. If that is true, then I say you've been ignoring the posts of those who know something about the subject. Otherwise, you would know that people like Blocula simply ignore facts that are placed right in their faces, continuing on and on in many different threads with the same old line of crap that they've been shown a hundred times is simply wrong.

If what Blocula said came from his own thoughts, that would be one thing. It's actually quite another thing, however, as people such as Hans and myself recognize practically all of Blocula's "arguments" for what they are - they are lifted part and parcel from the pages of fringe authors, authors not at all above lying through their teeth on this subject, just to sell books to idiots that are unwilling to make even the slightest attempt at self-education.

Originally posted by ozziedogg76
THEN... along comes someone like Hanslune... who doesnt like what he sees.. so he disagrees.. and then he gets irritated.. so then its time to argure every single point.... long past when its obvious the thread is derailed and his mission to embarass and discriedit the OP has succeeded.

This thread is over eighty pages, most of it containing posts that show how Blocula is wrong in his thinking. Yet he has persisted (not just in this thread) to parrot claims that have already (and constantly) been shown to not only be baseless, but factually incorrect in most cases and outright fabrications in others. Have you ever heard the word "frustration?"

Look at the dates if you want to analyze what's happened here. There are long series of posts within the same time periods. This makes for a lot of pages.

You give the appearance of someone who has had their little red wagon broken by Hanslune's experience in archaeology and his willingness to share the undeniable facts of what he knows, and the ultra logical deductions he makes from the same.

Originally posted by ozziedogg76 even more amusingly predictable is when someone much more open minded like Shadow herder comes along and applies the same critique.. then all of a sudden its "harrassment" or its "you're just arguing for the sake of it".

I am going to say it straight up:
ATS is wonderfully proud of its ability to spot a fraudster, and to point out flawed evidence... but that "attack at all costs" attitude it is also the source of ALL the nastiest vitriol, personal attacks, arrogant close mindedness and outright hostility on these forums. Then It dawned on me.

Its fear.
Its fear that someone who -isnt- as intelligent as me could possibly hold such an opinion.
its fear that after all my research and skeptisim that deep down i could be -wrong-
its fear that they cant admit they are skeptics.. they are just "educated in the facts".
and its fear that someone "not with the same beliefs as me" could be right.

This is the typical argument made by the "true believers" and is more evidence of the condition I above ascribed to you.

"Fear?"

That's idiotic.

If you're gonna lurk here for any time, I'd suggest you read every post and not simply skim through or skip over the most informative posts in a thread like this, those being the posts contributed by Hans and several others. You shouldn't assume that, simply because Shadowherder says something that you have a personal bias for agreeing with, that you have heard from him something that is reasonable to believe, though sometimes it may be.

Harte

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: ozziedogg76

absolutely.
i have been walking the same street to. lurking for what is it? over a decade
very polarised. now i don t think we should worry about feelings to much, this is after all an intellectual pursuit, but,
a younger crowd and quite frankly, a forever dropping level of education, and a crusade of mainstream media forcing all these people into the arms of medieval reasoning
and in the blue corner those who have devoted their intellectual pursuits to only what can be verified. and they have become entrenched.
and then there are a few in the middle like us who have turned. we need scientific method but we also need new inquiry and we cant let one hadicap the other.
not satisfied by one sides theory and not prepared to accept the flakey stuff from the other and if i count myself among those of a similar bent,
i suspect we are practical, self educated people for the most with a few anonymous rebel academics. because we are here.
some areas of this forum would benefit from aspects of the philosophy forum, as pertains to reasoning and structure of hypothesis, on both sides.
this is probably a reflection of a troubled culture. we would all do well to examine the motives for saying what we say.

edit on 11-6-2016 by username74 because: meh

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: username74

hmmm, maybe i should read the dates of posts more often.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: username74
a reply to: username74

hmmm, maybe i should read the dates of posts more often.

I wouldn't worry.
If you post in an old thread, you'll hear accusations of "necroposting" and "use the search function moron!"
If you started a new thread on this, you'd hear "there's already a hundred threads on this - use the search function you moron!"
You can't win. Embrace the moron.

Harte

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Harte

but pebbles in the stream

top topics

<< 82  83  84   >>

join