It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Those We Call Cavemen Were All That Remained Of Humanity After The Last Time We Destroyed Ourselves

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus
The Antikytheria mechanism survived a thousand years in very poor condition, but enough that it could be mostly "reconstructed" in 3d and understood, that's a fair statement to make but part of what helped preserve the metals helped destroy the rest of it.. it really has a lot to do with surroundings and construction.

Look at the titanic, it's metal and is mostly deteriorated away now.. they don't think it will last.. and that was only 1912

The Antikytheria mechanism is more the exception than the rule.
of course some objects will be found preserved under the right conditions,but most of what was has been crushed,eroded,blown up and washed away forever

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Excellent thread.

I think the ancients had a very good grasp of the bigger cycles that our planet goes through. Some of the structures that they built were DELIBERATELY built to stand the test of time.

What have we built today that will stand the test of time?

The Three gorges dam comes to mind, anything else?

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by LS650
I believe it's very possible there were past civilizations that were maybe as advanced as say the Roman Empire, but no more. I see claims all the time that plastics will last for literally thousands of years in landfills - so if there have been technically advanced societies, where is all the plastic? They just didn't make plastic? I doubt it.

Why would you doubt they made plastic? that's a silly assertion to make, no offense. .. plastic is a synthetic, why would you assume a previous advanced society must have mastered plastic?

They have developed plastics now that are plant based that biodegrade just fine and relatively fast ... maybe they were smart enough to skip the synthetic plastics..

And I tend to think that civilizations could have evolved technologically different.. they could be advanced while having entirely different technology.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by LS650

Yes but you are assuming the last previous civilization was.recent. think about pre ice age. The glaciers literally shaved off the top layer of all the landmass in the northern hemisphere. Ocean levels have risen and fallen and risen again. Antarctica was not always in the south pole and free of ice and snow. And when you look at sedimentary layers on the planet that don't make any sense. Say the previous civilization was 30k years ago. There would be zero evidence. Humans have been around intheir current form for over 200000 years. You are telling me that we lived in grass and mud huts the entire time while being just as capable back then as we are now? In that time we have gone through a few ice ages as well and a polar shift.

Oh and they have recently discovered a 2.2 million year old skeleton of a homo sapien. Stuff to think about.
We don't even fully understand society 1000 years ago. As history moves forward things that used to be fact become speculation and myth.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by blocula

Originally posted by miniatus
The Antikytheria mechanism survived a thousand years in very poor condition, but enough that it could be mostly "reconstructed" in 3d and understood, that's a fair statement to make but part of what helped preserve the metals helped destroy the rest of it.. it really has a lot to do with surroundings and construction.

Look at the titanic, it's metal and is mostly deteriorated away now.. they don't think it will last.. and that was only 1912

The Antikytheria mechanism is more the exception than the rule.
of course some objects will be found preserved under the right conditions,but most of what was has been crushed,eroded,blown up and washed away forever

Well someone had said that there would be remnants of our past left over and used that as an example that our construction would last thousands of years, I was just suggesting that the Antikytheria mechanism was an exception to the rule.. it's not normal to find things like that, obviously.. Things just don't normally last thousands of years unless they are stone structures usually.. Stone tends to last since it's not a consumable material, it's only enemy is erosion really.. metals are actually a consumable material to some organisms... it just won't last

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by blocula

Originally posted by LS650
I believe it's very possible there were past civilizations that were maybe as advanced as say the Roman Empire, but no more. I see claims all the time that plastics will last for literally thousands of years in landfills - so if there have been technically advanced societies, where is all the plastic? They just didn't make plastic? I doubt it.
as i said before, maybe they were not a paper/metal/plastic based society like we are...
our civilization that exists right now has only been able to rise up to the level that its at because we were able to advance in-between ice ages...in the link i posted on page one,click onto the return at the bottom of the first article and there are many many examples of evidence of past societies that have all but been erased and faded into myths and legends... just like our society right now will someday be the basis for another future civilizations myths and legends and their archeologists will excavate the ruins of paris and new york and wonder just what we were all about...

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by metaldemon2000
reply to post by LS650

Yes but you are assuming the last previous civilization was.recent. think about pre ice age. The glaciers literally shaved off the top layer of all the landmass in the northern hemisphere. Ocean levels have risen and fallen and risen again. Antarctica was not always in the south pole and free of ice and snow. And when you look at sedimentary layers on the planet that don't make any sense. Say the previous civilization was 30k years ago. There would be zero evidence. Humans have been around intheir current form for over 200000 years. You are telling me that we lived in grass and mud huts the entire time while being just as capable back then as we are now? In that time we have gone through a few ice ages as well and a polar shift.

Oh and they have recently discovered a 2.2 million year old skeleton of a homo sapien. Stuff to think about.
We don't even fully understand society 1000 years ago. As history moves forward things that used to be fact become speculation and myth.
well said and i totally agree...advanced civilizations go way way back in time and each one of them probably thought that they were the creme of the crop and were going to last forever,just like we are led to believe now...

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Cavemen are actually mentioned in the Bible. The OP is right. Cavemen were actually once men who came from great civilizations, but since they pushed the Law of God aside, He took away their earthly treasures.

Job 12:23-25(KJV)
23He increaseth the nations, and destroyeth them: he enlargeth the nations, and straiteneth them again.
24He taketh away the heart of the chief of the people of the earth, and causeth them to wander in a wilderness where there is no way.
25They grope in the dark without light, and he maketh them to stagger like a drunken man.

Job 30:3-8(KJV)
3For want and famine they were solitary; fleeing into the wilderness in former time desolate and waste.
4Who cut up mallows by the bushes, and juniper roots for their meat.
5They were driven forth from among men, (they cried after them as after a thief

6To dwell in the cliffs of the valleys, in caves of the earth, and in the rocks.
7Among the bushes they brayed; under the nettles they were gathered together.
8They were children of fools, yea, children of base men: they were viler than the earth.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Atlantis was what the previous civilization was called.

According to Plato, Atlantis was an early bronze age culture as advanced as Athens in Plato's time. Are you saying he was lying? And if he was lying then Atantis obviously didn't exist

As for 'cavemen' - there is no evidence for any prior advanced culture. There is plenty of evidence for cavemen around for hundreds of thousands of years. Before that was Home Erectus ..... and so on back.

When did this prior advanced civilisation exist? Why did they leave no trace? Why after the 'disaster' did no-one rebuild civilisation?

Our civilisation will be visible in the geological data for millions of years .....

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Antarctica was not always in the south pole and free of ice and snow.

True, it's only been at the south pole for the past few hundred million years. And 40 million years ago it wasn't even snow covered!

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
imagine what would be left of us and our technology "after all out nuclear war and a ploe shift causing mega tsunamis to ravage and smash every continent,followed by a thousand years of erosion and decay within another ice age" all that would remain would be small bands of survivors,men,women and children suddenly thrust back into a prehistoric state,with only food,shelter and clothing on their minds,wandering a wasteland of destruction and decay,surrounded by wild animals and sitting around fires at night near mountains of ice and snow telling stories about myths and legends of a society that once existed...which happens to be ours right now... wattsupwiththat.com...
edit on 15-8-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

And mines, quarries and a noticeable layer of plastic

Besides, most of the planet would be largely unaffected by an ice age. Calcutta would still be there ..... for example.

Edit: I advise reading The World Without Us by Alan Weisman

You might be surprised.
edit on 15-8-2011 by Essan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirMike
Sorry, but I cannot buy it. Any truly advanced civilization will leave fingerprints on the land that will unmistakable. Although buildings facades may crumble, stone masonry work, foundations, metal implements, radioactive, and synthetics will survive in some recognizable matter for 10,000’s of years.

What is there not to buy? That you are unable to Google for alternative evidence or that it goes against your beliefs? Google is your friend

Link1

Link2

Regards Freelancer

Dr. Zaius: You are right, I have always known about man. From the evidence, I believe his wisdom must walk hand and hand with his idiocy. His emotions must rule his brain. He must be a warlike creature who gives battle to everything around him, even himself.

edit on 15/8/2011 by Freelancer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Sorry, but I cannot buy it. Any truly advanced civilization will leave fingerprints on the land that will unmistakable. Although buildings facades may crumble, stone masonry work, foundations, metal implements, radioactive, and synthetics will survive in some recognizable matter for 10,000’s of years.

Well if that were the case, would modern science and historians release that knowledge? I say no. If what you say were true, then history would have to be re-written, and the establishment is not ready for that. Ever find it odd that discoveries that confilct with history books is often ignored, and not brought into the eye of the public? You act like transparency is common with governments.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
reply to post by blocula

And mines, quarries and a noticeable layer of plastic

Besides, most of the planet would be largely unaffected by an ice age. Calcutta would still be there ..... for example.
an ice age, mountains of ice and snow advancing and receeding across a continent,would grind and crush whole towns and cities and everything else in their path and the massive weight would collapse any and all underground road and subway tunnels. in the northern hemisphere not so long ago,there were moving glaciers of ice a mile or more thick. the great lakes were formed by the crushing weight of these ice mountains leaving huge depressions in the ground and all the boulders and rocks that you see laying around in the woods and else where were once hills and mountains that were grinded up and deposited out of ice age glaciers,we wouldnt stand a chance if they were to happen relatively fast...

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I believe that we would tear our own technologies apart to make tools and other materials after there is no fuel, electricity, or means to rebuild them. The same with plastics; we would burn every burnable material on the surface of earth for heating/cooking--even without an ice age. One family would likely consume 7-8 houses of materials for heating one winter. What little that was not burned in the initial riot fires, would be completely ripped to shreds in just a few years. Even a durable metal like stainless would be ground to bits from sharpening after using it to made knives and other tools for a thousand years. After 2000-3000 years there would be very few out of place artifacts left.

edit on 15-8-2011 by supertrot because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-8-2011 by supertrot because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
There is a book called A Canticle for Leibowitz that kind of is along these lines, although a fiction/sci-fi novel it is based on the destruction of mankind and recovering bits and pieces thousands of years later and rebuilding the true history of mankind, and how religion developed from the information they were finding. It suggested a cycle of destruction and rebuilding.

It was a very good read although it made me feel very dusty and thirsty

The book was written in the 60's.

Sorry, the thread just reminded me of the book lol

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
We are only really now getting to grips with just how much change our planet is capable of. We do know that land can rise up or drop 2 miles at a time, no problem and shift so its not surprising that add this to our normal weather and deteriorating signs of humanity could easily disappear, especially when thousands of years of time are involved. We are only taught to go back such a tiny amount of time in our historical ideas, but when one thinks of thousands and thousands of years, stretching 200,000 years etc a lot of civilisations could arise and fall. If you look at South America we are still only scratching the surface yet that is comparatively recent inhabitation.

There is always a chance we don't see previous civilisations simply because they are buried far too deep. It only needs vulcanic action, land slides, floods etc which we know have been heavier in the past to cover a good few feet. There has also probably been a deliberate effort on the part of the god botherers to hide and destroy as much as they thought threatened their cherished beliefs. We also have odd artifacts that pop up in levels of mining that they should not be found in.

I don't doubt we have had previous civilisations. The Indian mythology and writings tell of a huge battle with vimana and all sorts of light weapons.

I do think that in the past a different technology to our oil based chug-chug mechanics was probably used and I still wonder why we have huge brains we seem to utilize less and less of.

What I do suspect is that our 'real' leaders today are the descendants of those who ruled past civilisations and who have not only managed to protect themselves from previous destructions eg in bunkers, even maybe on the moon etc, but managed to hide their knowledge maybe even having destroyed their own original civilisations; because we appear to be going the same way. I don't believe in any destructive human hating god, just an earth goddess with formidable powers of regenerative destruction once the earth becomes over laden.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lynda101
We are only really now getting to grips with just how much change our planet is capable of. We do know that land can rise up or drop 2 miles at a time, no problem and shift so its not surprising that add this to our normal weather and deteriorating signs of humanity could easily disappear, especially when thousands of years of time are involved. We are only taught to go back such a tiny amount of time in our historical ideas, but when one thinks of thousands and thousands of years, stretching 200,000 years etc a lot of civilisations could arise and fall. If you look at South America we are still only scratching the surface yet that is comparatively recent inhabitation.

There is always a chance we don't see previous civilisations simply because they are buried far too deep. It only needs vulcanic action, land slides, floods etc which we know have been heavier in the past to cover a good few feet. There has also probably been a deliberate effort on the part of the god botherers to hide and destroy as much as they thought threatened their cherished beliefs. We also have odd artifacts that pop up in levels of mining that they should not be found in.

I don't doubt we have had previous civilisations. The Indian mythology and writings tell of a huge battle with vimana and all sorts of light weapons.

I do think that in the past a different technology to our oil based chug-chug mechanics was probably used and I still wonder why we have huge brains we seem to utilize less and less of.

What I do suspect is that our 'real' leaders today are the descendants of those who ruled past civilisations and who have not only managed to protect themselves from previous destructions eg in bunkers, even maybe on the moon etc, but managed to hide their knowledge maybe even having destroyed their own original civilisations; because we appear to be going the same way. I don't believe in any destructive human hating god, just an earth goddess with formidable powers of regenerative destruction once the earth becomes over laden.
thanx for your comment,very true and well said ^^^...we never learn from our past mistakes and we are led astray from the truth by those in control who dont want their blind sheep to open their eyes and see what the past is really all about. we most likely have risen and fallen again and again for at least 100,000 years...10,000 years from now some future archeologist will dig up the remains of a shattered and rusted car or airplane that just happened to be partly preserved under the right conditions and the evidence will be snuffed out by whatever people are in control then,because they will not want the truth to undermine their supreme authority.no disruption of their evil blood line will be tolerated,contradictory evidence will be ridiculed and erased...just like now...

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Ok How about we say even a million years, the earth has been around for about 4.5 BILLION YEARS. That means there could be even TEN MILLION years in between each civilization. I don't think there will be anything left after that number of years.

Humans have spread across the entire planet, colonizing every corner. But humans have really been on the planet for a fraction of the lifetime of the Earth. Archeologists estimate that modern humans have been on the Earth for about 200,000 years. That is a tiny second of time compared to 4.5 BILLION.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join