It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Perseid Meteor Shower.... From Space!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Ok, this probably isn’t a just cause to start a new thread, but I just had to share this image!

During the annual Perseid meteor shower this year (infact, last week) a very lucky Astronaut (Aren’t they all?
) caught an amazing photo of a 'meteor' entering the Earths atmosphere.

This really is one of those '1 in a million' shots which is worth a view even if you aren't interested in space

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b2f4b89178a7.jpeg[/atsimg]
(If someone finds a nice high-res version, please let me know
)

Link

NASA astronaut Ron Garan photographed a "shooting star" streaking through Earth's atmosphere on Saturday (Aug. 13), as the space station orbited roughly 220 miles (354 kilometers) above the planet.

"What a 'Shooting Star' looks like #FromSpace," Garan wrote in a message on Twitter, where he posts photos and updates on his space mission.

Enjoy!

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Kliskey

Thanks for sharing, I wonder if thats not a snapshot from a HD-video recording, instead of a foto taken by luck.
And if this should by chance be HD-video I would like a link to a live feed to that Amazing view.. U can even see the stars clearly in that still frame or picture.. thats kind of rare I think. not manipulated by NASA

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Kliskey

That's breathtaking.

I wish I could see a shooting star or the Aurora Borealis or even a UFO before I die. The people who have seen the things I just listed are so lucky.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Wait a minute... What's that just above the streak? Nibiru inbound??? Somebody get phage in here, quick, I would love to hear his opinion on this... lol! Just kidding in case you couldn't tell. This picture makes me happy to be protected by the atmosphere. Atmosphere rocks! No pun intended...

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Kliskey

nice one matey, wish I had been up there to see it myself. Next life I'm coming back in a space faring race!

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kliskey
(If someone finds a nice high-res version, please let me know
)

[

Hi!

Nice find, note also that Ron Garan regularly put amazing pics from space on his tweet account, like this view from Chicago with a storm up to the top left picture:

The perseide shower original full sized picture is on twitpic here
edit on 16-8-2011 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-8-2011 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

Ahha! Thank you for finding that! I can't access Twitter/pic from work

.... Ignoring the main feature of the photo, that atmospheric lighting is awesome! Is it the sun refracting through the atmosphere or some other natural phenomenon?

Also, elephant in the room lol, but what is the round object just above the fireball? Is it the moon way way in the distance? Forgive my ignorance... please

top topics

join