It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Americas, Not the Middle East, Will Be the World Capital of Energy

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

S&F for a fantastic find dude.

This is the first time I have heard about these oil reserves but based on your thread I want to find out some more.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I sure hope you are right slayer..

Saudia Arabia might not be so nice
to us when we quit buying their oil..
I hope none of them get a nuclear weapon
by then...

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by hillynilly

by then...

I think many knew of this eventuality.
I can't find the related ATS thread on the topic from a few years ago. But some of us have been watching this possibility for a while now.

Saudis Seek Payments for Any Drop in Oil Revenues

Published: October 13, 2009

Saudi Arabia is trying to enlist other oil-producing countries to support a provocative idea: if wealthy countries reduce their oil consumption....

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Originally posted by hillynilly

by then...

I think many knew of this eventuality.
I can't find the related ATS thread on the topic from a few years ago. But some of us have been watching this possibility for a while now.

Saudis Seek Payments for Any Drop in Oil Revenues

Published: October 13, 2009

Saudi Arabia is trying to enlist other oil-producing countries to support a provocative idea: if wealthy countries reduce their oil consumption....

That article just goes to show the sense of entitlement the Saudis feel. As I mentioned earlier, North America has enough reserves to last us for the next hundred years, even if we were to become a net exporter of oil. I might amend my original stance: keep our oil for ourselves, and tell the Saudis and other Arab oil producers to go choke on theirs. Seriously, now that I think about it, WHY are we enriching countries that use their oil profits to support terrorism.

"But OC, the Saudis aren't terrorists. They are one of our closest Arab Muslim alies."

Ahem, how many of the 9/11 hijackers were Saudis? Almost all of them.

Maybe we should just use what oil we have here in North America until a replacement such as cold fusion becomes a reality, and stop funding those who, overtly or covertly, seek to bleed us dry before destroying us. Cold fusion is almost a reality today; we wouldn't have long to wait.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

These are interesting times we live in...

I'd love nothing more than to leave the Saudis hanging in the wind.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Oh god Slayer, please don't use that phrase "oil addiction." Oil is not a drug. And it is not a moral problem suffered by a society of low self esteem.

In the 70's I asked the question. What would you do if you had a fininte supply of power. Would you remake the world into a garden paradise so future generations wouldn't have to work so hard, or would you pave the entire planet and burn up the excess in faster and heavier cars. Well America threw me overboard and went the route of massive parking lots. Now when they take the last orange cone off the road, and we are finally out of oil, future generations will have to break up all the cement before they can even plant the first seed.

So here is this thread. Coyly showing the genius of burning up the 'rest-of-the-worlds' oil so the Americas can stay on top. Irrelevant I say. We still don't have a clear plan for our future. So what would you have done with all the oil, if it had been your decision?

David Grouchy

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
How about fussion, America is coming leaps and bounds with that stuff, so is the UK. We need the energy crisis to end...

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

While I think it is true that the Americas have plenty of petrofuel to bleed from Our planet, I believe We need to take Ourselves OFF oil, coal and gas - all petrofuels - and focus on renewable sources. ESPECIALLY plenum ("dark"/Zero Point/"vacuum"/Radiant/Orgone/...) energy. We should be demanding that this overunity (and antigravity) tech be released from black ops where I know it has been hidden for 50+ years.
edit on 8/15/2011 by Amaterasu because: typo

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I would like to believe that by the time the world (the West?) has need of oil from the Americas, we will have moved on to cleaner, more environmental AND economically friendly alternatives. Maybe I'm dreamin'...

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

what Slayer didn't say is that before US oil fields are exploited, western civilization will have changed and Third Country Nationalists providing cheap labor will come from within its own boarders. have a nice day

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Glinda
In terms of natural gas production (and the use of CNG--compressed natural gas for vehicle fuel) we HAVE Saudi Arabia--in the Rust Belt.

The Marcellus Shale formation (NY upstate; most of PA, WVA; eastern OH) has hundred year supplies of natural gas (in shale). Fracking in the bedrockish mid Atlantic is NOT problematic. The Soros/Shandler funded 'Gasland' is the new 'Inconvenient Truth' scare emotional scare movie.

It is not scare mongering at all. The methods used inject poisonous chemicals right into the earth, fracture the bedrock, and destroy the water table.

The fact is, we have the knowledge to have a sustainable, renewable form of energy.

Even if we didn't, we have millions of innovative minds all over the world that could solve the problem much sooner than you think.

This would decentralize the distribution of energy.

A select few people would not be able to control the world's energy supply...I would sure hate to see that happen! (/sarcasm)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   

This make perfect sense. Use up everyone elses oil first then start using the Americas oil. Last one standing with oil and petrochemical products to sell at premium prices to rest of world.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldCorp
I believe the US and Canada hold tremendous untapped petroleum and natural gas reserves.

Indeed, I forgot to mention this before, but I once asked my dad why you always see those big flames at petrochemical plants, like this one:

www.greenpacks.org...

I grew up near Houston, so this was a very common sight. Incredibly, he said these "flares" are just burning the natural gas off because natural gas is "in the way" of oil extraction! He said natural gas is so abundant that it's not even worth capturing at oil sites.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   

I definitely believe it and we are definitely holding on to our untapped reserves for the future. It would be nice if we could get off the oil-tit, but as long as some of the biggest, most-profitable companies in the world are oil companies it will never happen, as they run things.

Geologists have been saying for years that the dirt in and around Texas is basically all oil-shale. Canada too.

This is a good image.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/79a7fac1c95a.png[/atsimg]
en.wikipedia.org...

The problem with the oil sands/shale/heavy crude is that wasn't as economical viable as the light crude in Saudi Arabia and the rest of the Middle East, that's capitalism for you. But now since they have made some advances in the technological part of extracting it and the fact that oil prices are around 100$ a barrel has made the heavy crude's extraction from the Earth much more necessary and profitable.. But it is definitely 'oil' and it is definitely there and useable.

Our government also owns a lot of oil rich land and forbids anyone to set foot on the property. There also numerous environmental agencies/organizations and 'national parks' that prevent us from extracting other reserves too. I doubt they care that much about the environment, and I figure it really is being saved for the future or when it is more profitable to extract like the OP says.

The U.S. also has tons and tons of natural gas, in fact we have so much that it use to be a problem when were drilling for oil. So much so, that we set it on fire and burned it off into the atmosphere. Now, we are a bit smarter and capture it for use... haha.

In Africa, Sudan and Chad have large reserves of mixed heavy/light crude that have been relatively untouched by the rest of the world. Though, the country of Sudan just split apart, the main reason imho was for the oil and pipelines.

And even though it doesn't show it on that image, Venezuela also has HUGE amounts of heavy crude that we helped them learn how to extract before Chavez rose to power and kicked us out.

I am also fairly certian that Russia will be our main, future rival in the Energy Kingdom. Their resources are vast and untapped.

edit on 15-8-2011 by tooo many pills because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Does this have anything to do with 'fracking'?

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I was previously aware of all of this, and as the article points out there is massive amounts of oil in the Western Hemisphere. However, it takes a hell of a lot money, energy, and technological prowess to extract and refine it. That is the major logjam and why everyone is depending on the sweet crude from the Middle East and elsewhere. If we could get at the stuff with the ease the Saudis have done for last 60 or so years with their oil, we would have already done so. Not to detract from the optimistic tone of the article, because it is promising!

Still, there is a technological barrier presenting itself. It is not practical as of yet to exert so much energy and resources to extract such oil. Then, we have to contend with politics associated with it as well. There are those in the government who would stop at nothing to put up roadblocks, and plenty of bureaucratic red tape to see this does not reach fruition. The clean energy, and environmentalist crowd is quite a strong lobbying force with plenty of influence and money. We saw how quickly drilling was scuttled in the gulf after the Deep Water Horizon Disaster of 2009. The oil companies are still trying to reboot their operations down there.

Then, we have the peak oil theory as well to contend with. This is something to take into account as well. Have the Saudis reached their peak output? Once they start scaling back their output that would be devastating, and the alternatives highlighted are not at the capacity to supplement new demand. This particular energy was known for quite awhile, but my guess is there was so much money to be made off the Saudis and other oil suppliers. Don't fix it if it is not broken? Sadly, that notion has got us to the point of being painted into a corner at the present moment. Watch the clip below, and it offers a quite objective approach to what is being said in the article.

Just food for thought. Hopefully, the engineers and scientists can find that silver bullet to bring this new oil and energy to market, and offer a little relief from the dire economic and political outlook of the future? Lets face it, the West is in trouble! I am open to any ideas or alternatives to change the course, and bring about a new Renaissance in Western thought, ideals, economics, and the sciences. Hopefully, this will be one of the silver bullets to bring about that Renaissance? However, I still look at what is being said in the article with an ounce of skepticism. Hopefully, I am wrong. By the way, great article and Op, Slayer!
edit on 15-8-2011 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

I personally would love to see the world get off it's Petroleum addiction and move onto to something more eco friendly. If this article is true then we will continue to fight over it while potentially polluting ourselves to a point worse than we already have.

www.foreignpolicy.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 15-8-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I think it's something but nothing that will happen until oil is around 1,000 dollars a barrel. Where it's cost efficient to get it and they can make a profit, but it won't be the stuff that is easy to distill. It will be the nasty and hard oil to refine. But in the end it's still oil.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigBruddah
It looks promising, but like the article says, there is a lot of work to be done before this can happen. Most importantly, the people in power need to get their heads out of the sand and start investing in alternative forms of energy or at the very least start producing oil from their own nations.
edit on 15/8/2011 by BigBruddah because: (no reason given)

No, if we are going to be staying with using oil for a while the last country you want to take from is your own. need to save that for yourself when everyone else runs out.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I wouldn't be so sure a research laboritory in Oxford, UK claimed a while back it has worked out an efficient way to turn water into Hydrogen, the only issues they had to overcome was how to deliver the hydrogen as a fuel due to it needing to be under immense pressure or extreme cold to be delivered effictivly.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join