It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nirvana (Warning May Contain Language and Pissed off Grunge Fans)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthtone
Nirvana made rock music alive and exciting again.

With depressing and non chalant songwriting.

Instrumental Van Halen is more exciting.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I lookedup the styles of the bands and Nirvana is listed as being depressing while bands like GNR are listed as being violent, and intense etc.

Tones of Nirvana-Unsettling, Spooky, Fierce, Crunchy, Energetic, Raucous, Intense, Confrontational, Fiery, Paranoid, Gloomy, Nihilistic, Witty, Reckless, Acerbic, Manic, Aggressive, Tense/Anxious, Visceral, Wry, Cynical/Sarcastic, Rebellious, Cathartic, Angst-Ridden, Brooding, Bleak, Volatile

Tones of GNR-Trashy, Sprawling, Urgent, Hedonistic, Messy, Harsh, Raucous, Sleazy, Intense, Confrontational, Fiery, Freewheeling, Street-Smart, Passionate, Paranoid, Rousing, Provocative, Rowdy, Thuggish, Reckless, Manic, Aggressive, Tense/Anxious, Visceral, Cynical/Sarcastic, Rebellious, Cathartic, Volatile, Angry, Hostile

Tones of Van Halen-Swaggering, Spicy, Bravado, Irreverent, Sleazy, Boisterous, Brash, Confident, Rowdy, Silly, Party/Celebratory

Tones of KISS- Swaggering, Bravado, Irreverent, Sleazy, Outrageous, Confrontational, Rousing, Brash, Rowdy, Aggressive, Campy, Theatrical, Silly, Ironic

Tones of Jimmy Buffet- Lazy, Irreverent, Humorous, Fun, Rousing, Happy, Laid-Back/Mellow, Amiable/Good-Natured, Party/Celebratory, Wry

Look at the differances between Nirvana and the rest of them. Gloomy, angst ridden, describes Nirvana.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent47
But seriously, Nirvana was nothing special.

I'd have to agree. I was never a fan of nirvana.

But there is a lot of great rock music out there right now.... you just have to work harder to find it.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by JediMaster

Tones of Van Halen- Sleazy, Boisterous, Brash, Confident, Rowdy, Silly, Party/Celebratory

I bet David Lee Roth's psych profile reads the exact same way.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 03:11 PM
link   

I lookedup the styles of the bands and Nirvana is listed as being depressing while bands like GNR are listed as being violent, and intense etc.

Tones of Nirvana-Unsettling, Spooky, Fierce, Crunchy, Energetic, Raucous, Intense, Confrontational, Fiery, Paranoid, Gloomy, Nihilistic, Witty, Reckless, Acerbic, Manic, Aggressive, Tense/Anxious, Visceral, Wry, Cynical/Sarcastic, Rebellious, Cathartic, Angst-Ridden, Brooding, Bleak, Volatile

Gloomy, angst ridden, describes Nirvana.

Depending on how one feels, thats what type of music they listen to at that time. Am I wrong? Emotions change hourly? By the minute? So does what you or I listen to.

I'll just agree to disagree? Most of the bands you listed are influencial to me.(Minus Kiss) Queens rules.

All I ask for is that people be open minded to new and different types/style of music. Ecclectic? Is this the right word? There is a hell of alot of great music out there, you just have to find. Nice talking to you all

[Edited on 8/19/2004 by bobafett1972]

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I had a funny chat with one of my friends a couple hours ago about this. He had no idea what GNR was about, he kept calling them a cover band.

JediMaster9780: Iran Warns Of Pre-emptive Strike On US Forces
mephisto9898: bluff
JediMaster9780: they want toi protec thie rnukes
mephisto9898: please they dont stand a chance
JediMaster9780: Anyoen with a brain knows that it'd be suicide
mephisto9898: thats why their leader will attack
mephisto9898: :-D
mephisto9898: cause he dont have a brain
JediMaster9780: thoght it'd be fun to test some of our newer weapons on the,
mephisto9898: lol yep
JediMaster9780: on ATS I started a big fight about Nirvana
JediMaster9780: well i started a rant on how much I hate them, then Agent47 posted and agrreed then people came in to denfed Nrivana, then William implied how modern rock is crap. and its still going
mephisto9898: nirvana is one of the greatest modern rock bands!
how dare you
JediMaster9780: they SUCK.
mephisto9898: YOU SUCK
mephisto9898: BIG HAIRY MEN
JediMaster9780: then you should post there how mcuh I am wrong so far no one called me wrong
mephisto9898: i am not going onto ats
JediMaster9780: only reason why anyone gave a damn is because they felt sorry for Kurt
mephisto9898: no
mephisto9898: i dont
mephisto9898: nirvana has good music
JediMaster9780: had
mephisto9898: alot of their songs are still being released,
mephisto9898: thus they still have
JediMaster9780: let me finish posting and i'll coopy and paste the the thign i wrote
mephisto9898: o god
mephisto9898: k
JediMaster9780: and for once I used no profnaity
mephisto9898: wow
JediMaster9780: I personally like my title
JediMaster9780: Nirvana (Warning May Contain Language and Pissed off Grunge Fans)

JediMaster9780: Ok I hate Nirvana, hate it hate it hate it. They are the worst band ever.

First off Kurt was a whiney drugged up punk who hated himself. Who the hell wants to listen to music about how life sucks and how it won't get better??? Good music was about having fun, getting wasted, sex, etc. Metal is not "I hate my self, life sucks" metal is fist pounding.

Kurt could not sing, and he should've been whacked upside the head when he began to talk crap about GNR. Axl is a far better singer than Kurt ever would've been and Slash could own Kurt playing a guitar anyday.

Nirvana brought and end to Hair Metal, GNR, Motley Crue etc. That was good music you did'nt need to hate society and be a cynical bastard to enjoy it.

They have the worst lyrics ever. All round and round its just "Life sucks, I hate society, USA sucks, people suck, I suck I'm anti this and that" come on, Osama could write better lyrics than that.

I'm glad that people like Snoop Dog came out in the early 90s, he helped bring grunge down and I hate Snoop.

Why was he pissed off? Life is good and I enjoy it, I don't need some angry suicidal punk to start singing about how he hates people.

The only reason people cared about them is since he blew his brains out. No conspiracy there, its a waste of money investigating it. He was a druggy who got too hight and blew his damn brains out end of story.

Why would you want to feel depressed anyway? A song like "Dr.Feelgood" gets you pumped and "One in a Million" gets you hyped and angery, "Margaritaville" gets you happy and laidback. Aall that their songs did was make you feel like your a nobody.
JediMaster9780: Agent 47 Replied-And to add on my on little sentiment to that rant, any list or countdown that puts Nirvana in the top 20 of anything is both lying and trendwhoring. Everyone treats Nirvna with kid gloves and acts like they were the #ing Albert Einstien or Steven Hawking of rock music. # that , Id put David Essex higher on any list. Have you listend to rock on lately? But seriously, Nirvana was nothing special.
JediMaster9780: William- When was the last time you heard a new rock song you would classify as art?

We have singers.

We have song writers.

We have fair musicians.

Where are the artists?
mephisto9898: william is gay, and you are seriously messed up
JediMaster9780: I'm right
mephisto9898: kurt was a good singer
JediMaster9780: he was droll
mephisto9898: gnr didnt sing he scremed. he tried to be acdc, and i didnt change my font it happend automaticaly
mephisto9898: *they
JediMaster9780: he did'nt try to be AC/DC, (know they were Aussies?), Axl had a unique voice, Kurt was just droll and dull
mephisto9898: he did not, and besides axl rose was not true metal in sence. many of their songs were remakes
JediMaster9780: what?
mephisto9898: liek live and let die and um
JediMaster9780: they just did covers for Kocnin on Heaven's Door, Live and Let Die and Sypmathy for the Devil
JediMaster9780: Appetite for Destruction, Lies, Use your Illusion 1 and 2 were all orignal save for Door and Live
JediMaster9780: they did 3 covers.
mephisto9898: Kocnin on Heaven's Door origionaly done by melon
mephisto9898: and they are the songs they are most known for
mephisto9898: THEIR A COVER BAND
JediMaster9780: 3 songs
JediMaster9780: were covers
mephisto9898: their most played songs on the raido are cover songs
mephisto9898: COVER BAD
mephisto9898: *BAND
JediMaster9780: tthey are not a #ing cover band.
JediMaster9780: the reason you cannot play most on the radio is because they are explicity
JediMaster9780: *explicit
mephisto9898: THE ONLY songs u ever hear from them on the raido are their cover songs
mephisto9898: all people know them for are their cover sogns
JediMaster9780: no they dont
JediMaster9780: Sweet Child O' Mine is their msot well kown
mephisto9898: no its not
JediMaster9780: yes it is
JediMaster9780: WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE, PARADISE CITY, MR.BROWNSTONE, ONE IN A MILLION, DONT CRY, PATIENCE
JediMaster9780: Sweet Child was voted best guitar riff by Guitar World
mephisto9898: wow for what year...
JediMaster9780: this year
mephisto9898: and they would be wrong but im not getting intot hat
JediMaster9780: it was voed by the people
JediMaster9780: I'd rather listen to Cher than Nirvana
mephisto9898: cause u dont understand music
mephisto9898: i meen u listsen to jimmy buffet
mephisto9898: lemme guess u hate green day 2
JediMaster9780: what was good about Nirvana? Buffet's tours sellout, he hasmultiple gold and plamtum records, 3 #1 bestselling books, the fastest selling box set. I never listend to them.
mephisto9898: and have u actully ever listened to a nirvan song ,...
JediMaster9780: yes i have, i downloaded a few of them to see

[Edited on 8-19-2004 by JediMaster]

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   

JediMaster9780: William- When was the last time you heard a new rock song you would classify as art?

We have singers.

We have song writers.

We have fair musicians.

Where are the artists?
mephisto9898: william is gay, and you are seriously messed up
J

That line alone had me in stictches. I love your friend's bluntness. Par for the course.

And thanks for the shoutout.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I like nirvana and a few modrock bands. I dont really *gasp* like GNR. Only a couple songs. Hell, I even prefer modern rock.

But this is how it is. You have your people like me, for instance, who like what they like, and dont really care what others think. Maybe I like whiney music. Or "unoriginal" music. Whats it to you?

And then you have people who argue with you, trying to shove their music down your throat.

Musics turned into a war. Everyone arguing which bands are better, which ones are more hardcore, which ones are the original rock bands, stuff like that.

Damn, music is a bit like religion in that aspect.

Wow, now I feel like pumping up nirvana on my stereo.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 05:53 PM
link   
nirvana was the biggest garbage pile band around. kurt cobain was suicidal but i dont think he committed suicide.I think courtney love killed. crazy drunk drug addict. she has to be the ugliest famous person alive.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I'll let this die after I just post what I read here. The guy who wrote it preferd Kurt but its a descriptio of what he was and what Axl was.

"Let me see, Kurt Cobain was considered the most pro-gay rock star, proclaiming things like "everyone is gay"), his lyrics were outrageoulsy anti-macho male power, pro-left, pro-abortion, and he expressed his feelings candidly without holding back. For the early 90s, that was something."

Now rock needs to be macho, at least harder rock definitly needs to be.

"Then we have Axl Rose, who sings "Immigrants and f*aggots", uses the N-word then says he's not talking about "all" blacks, he's talking about blacks in the streets, and his lyrics (except for a few songs, namely Sweet Child O' Mine, Sweet Novermber, and some others) follow the old macho-metal-rock-star"

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I'm sorry ...but I had to comment on this.... You guys are arguing so much about "music" that you've missed something... Music doesn't expire..... It doesn't have a finite shelf life. You want some music? You claim to love "rock n' roll"? Well, I've got 4 words for ya.

Black Sabbath

Led Zepplin

what is...and what will always be. I mean, c'mon...look at the world today....can you not drive down the road....crank "War Pigs" wide open....and realize how it relates to today???
Give it a try....and follow it up with anything by Zep....
and if you just refuse to listen to music that old....
Go buy a Black Label Society CD.......or Lamb of God.... or Pantera....or Sepultura, Danzig... or ...wait... here it comes.... MEGADETH. by god...you want some pumpin music..theres a list for ya..

and hey..if you're into sad depressing moody music....got two words for those of you who like that..
Pink Floyd

You want new age depression?
Our Lady Peace
cant think of any others right now...usually aint depressed
just a few of my .02
by the way....If you grew up liking Marylin Manson...try Alice Cooper...David Bowie.

(oh yea...im 24)

:bnghd:

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 08:58 AM
link   
i remember this "grunge" fad when i was in highschool. nirvana was THE #. it was the end all be all of teenage angst music.

admittedly i listened to it. i liked the music itself. the lyrics made no sense to me and i didnt really read into them. nevermind was good, his later stuff sucked and turned into a real downer music type scene. i thought the music was good in nevermind. i've always liked vocals with a slight shake to them, uncertainty. but thats all i viewed it as, entertainment, like a movie or a show. i didnt take the music or him seriously enough. i just like to listen to music in general.

after i got out of highschool a couple years later it was the big news that he killed himself. by this time i had gotten tired of him as MTV was constantly pushing the unplugged show they did. singing rape me didnt appeal to me then and doesnt appeal to me now. like certain other performers i think he made good music at first and after awhile let his true self show and ruined his image. i think in a way he played up the suicidal tendencies in himself as well as others. i hated anything after nevermind, it was too dark, too low self esteem issueish for me. even the music changed, it slowed down, wasnt as hard. i watched others my age glom onto this act depressed hate your parents and shun the world attitude because he did it. i saw nirvana shirts everywhere and all anyone would talk about was kurt cobain. they viewed him as though he were a god. they really thought all the depression and drug use made him cool. they wanted to be like him.

i watched nirvana at the MTV awards and they acted out and it just seemed like it was all an act, as if they wanted people to tink they were out of control and freaky and all depressed when they really werent. i feel some of the bull# was just an act, part of the show. i think the guy had problems but used them to make himself into a god. i think he knew all too well what he was doing when he killed himself. i think he did it make himself into a cult icon. i believe he knew that if he simply got old he would fade away and wouldnt be remembered as an angst ridden personality.

i kurt cobain was the reason why nirvana sucked after awhile. i think he was the reason why i stopped listening to them. i had enough self esteem issues as a teenager, i didnt want to hear it from him so i went after more positive music.

i still like nevermind but not because of him but because of the music, not his lyrics or his "message". i dont think he an idol or a god. i think he was a person with mental problems who knew about them and used them to achieve the status he had. that and cortney love didnt help the matter. too bad she's still around, playing up the widowed wife role as if she actually cared about the guy.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 04:51 AM
link   
I think it's pretty stupid to argue about tastes in music.
Why would someone expend so much energy hating something because they can't relate to it. What does a band you don't like do to you that's so bad it makes you angry? You have a choice to listen or not, nobody is forcing you. Are you scared of it?
Would you want everybody to like the same thing??
How boring would that be?
Wouldn't it be better to cellebrate our differences instead of turning them into combat?

BTW I like both GNR and Nirvana but I take Nirvana far more seriously as artists than GNR.
I find a lot of times ppl who don't like bands like Nirvana are scared of anything that might be a bit emotional. Or make you think.
Gnr made nice safe familiar traditional easy listening rock music.
Nirvana were more radical and edgy for sure. It takes more effert to be a Nirvana fan.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 03:30 AM
link   
jedimaster, Im sorry that you are old. It happens to everyone. Please dont hate new music. Go grab a coors light and join the rest of the 50 year old kiss fans at the run down reunion tour.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Kurt Cobain was a talentless hack. No one in the history of music has been as over-rated as he.

For example:

Rolling Stone Magazine last year listed their picks for top 100 guitar players of all time. Neither Joe Satriani nor Eric Johnson made the list, but Kurt Cobain was number 17!

Cobain couldn't play guitar! He couldn't sing! For cryin' out loud he could barely stay alive in spite of himself... he eventually took care of that one though, much to my delight.

What a waste of precious oxygen Kurt Cobain was. Now we just wait for his girlfriend or wife or whatever that stupid slut was to get HER whole head in front of the shotgun too, THANK YOU!!!

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 02:31 AM
link   
that is called a hint. music changes.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join