Nirvana (Warning May Contain Language and Pissed off Grunge Fans)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Ok I hate Nirvana, hate it hate it hate it. They are the worst band ever.

First off Kurt was a whiney drugged up punk who hated himself. Who the hell wants to listen to music about how life sucks and how it won't get better??? Good music was about having fun, getting wasted, sex, etc. Metal is not "I hate my self, life sucks" metal is fist pounding.

Kurt could not sing, and he should've been whacked upside the head when he began to talk crap about GNR. Axl is a far better singer than Kurt ever would've been and Slash could own Kurt playing a guitar anyday.

Nirvana brought and end to Hair Metal, GNR, Motley Crue etc. That was good music you did'nt need to hate society and be a cynical bastard to enjoy it.

They have the worst lyrics ever. All round and round its just "Life sucks, I hate society, USA sucks, people suck, I suck I'm anti this and that" come on, Osama could write better lyrics than that.

I'm glad that people like Snoop Dog came out in the early 90s, he helped bring grunge down and I hate Snoop.

Why was he pissed off? Life is good and I enjoy it, I don't need some angry suicidal punk to start singing about how he hates people.

The only reason people cared about them is since he blew his brains out. No conspiracy there, its a waste of money investigating it. He was a druggy who got too hight and blew his damn brains out end of story.

Why would you want to feel depressed anyway? A song like "Dr.Feelgood" gets you pumped and "One in a Million" gets you hyped and angery, "Margaritaville" gets you happy and laidback. Aall that their songs did was make you feel like your a nobody.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 10:42 PM
link   
And to add on my on little sentiment to that rant, any list or countdown that puts Nirvana in the top 20 of anything is both lying and trendwhoring. Everyone treats Nirvna with kid gloves and acts like they were the #ing Albert Einstien or Steven Hawking of rock music. # that , Id put David Essex higher on any list. Have you listend to rock on lately?
But seriously, Nirvana was nothing special.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 10:44 PM
link   
All modern rock is just a retread of Nirvana, Metallica wannabes or a bunch of teens. Only modern band that I like is Velvet Revolver I downloaded a few songs and their all good.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I have to agree, but the fact remains VR is just GNR minus Axl and plus one of the best vocalists in rock.

Ive given up on modern rock, for me rock ended in 1990.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I only knew Slash was in it.

Same here, good rock and metal died 1990. No one will ever repalce Guns, KISS, or the rest of them. Rock is just teen angst, and hating society. They forget what rock is really about, good times and not giving a damn.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Too true.

Yeah VR is slash, my pancreas exploded duff, and whats his name. But izzy isnt in VR.

Maybe its Karma, Jedi. All the good rock of the last 30 years had to be balanced out with the 14 ongoing years of crap.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 10:58 PM
link   
See this is the thing guys, I know you won't like this but Rock was dead in the 80's. The 70's were incredible but every 70's band, with the exception of Deep Purple, sucked. Even my favorite, Queen, sucked in the 80's. Radio Gaga, what the hell is that? I listened to Metal in the 80's because Rock was dead. Then App. for Dest. came out, YAHOO, followed by Nevermind and it was official, rock was back. I liked the 90's. I also think things are beginning to suck again. That Killers tune, that's dance and the bridge is actually Disco. Remaking Madonna's material? Yuck!

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Yeah maybe in 30 years of this we'll see a comback in good rock, hopefully.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Since we are slinging some hash, I want to call a load of crap on the GNR Song "One in a Million" I won't even quote the lyrics in question here, because quite frankly they are offensive to quite a few different groups who have been at the short end of the social poking stick in recent history. Heres the link for those who want to understand, but be warned

lyrics.rockmagic.net...

As for everyone taking the piss out of other artists, bear in mind that every 'rock' band you hear today isint playing a single damn original note. Just about any competent guitar teacher will tell you rock, country, metal, etc, are all bastard children of the blues. Want to talk about people being whiny, being general jackasses, ask James Hetfield about the stunt Axl pulled at Montreal?

Now before someone climbs down my throat for those shots above, I don't have anything aginast GNR, but that was just one big black eye on a band that doesnt deserve a godly status by a long shot. They did make good music, I've listend to my fair share of older music, and on the whole I detest modern music.

Music evokes emotion in people, be it happy, sad, mad or asleep. As we all know from the news life isint all sunshine and rainbows, its alot of other crap as well. People make and listen to music that suits how they feel at the time, and like it or not Kurt Cobain must have had some crappy times to churn out what he did, might not seem too bad to some people, but not everyone can have the same tolerance for their troubles in life.

note: if any of this doesnt make sense, its a very early hour for me and my logic/typing skills are crap right now

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Axl is bipolar that is one of the reasons he attacked that man.

One in a Million is one of my favorite GNR songs, but does tha tmake me racist? No.

Alot of good bands did stunts like that. Ozzy pissed on The Alamo, Metallica sued Napster, etc.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 11:20 PM
link   
JM, he went after more people than the Blacks, it is an offensive song. Read the lyrics.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Yeah I know, immigrants and gays are hated in it. The song is dangerous to the weak minded.

In an interview Axl said that by using "'n-word's" he did not mean the entire black race, he ment ignorant people.

The controversy just helped "GNR Lies' sell all out of copies.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Personally, I can't wait for the day when people can express their views without having to start with, " I'm not a racist, but...". It's just getting ridiculous. God forbid you say something that someone thinks is insensitive. When did it become a crime to be insensitive? So blacks and other minorities got it rough. So what! I for one am sick and tired of having the guilt trips of the weak-minded shoved down my throat at every possible opportunity. I don't care. I'm a racist, you're a racist, every-freakin'-bodies a racist. Get over it! In case you didn't notice, "racist" has become the new all-purpose insult. In the dark ages, it was "witch". In the 1950's, it was "communist". Now, it's "racist". So the next time your hear some wannabe claiming to be a witch, or a college kid claiming to be a communist, think about how in 20 or so years, it will be "cool" to be a racist. The GAP will be selling the freakin' t-shirts.

Oh yeah, G'n'R, NWA, and Nirvana all sucked equal amounts of ass.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 06:15 AM
link   
When was the last time you heard a new rock song you would classify as art? We have singers. We have song writers. We have fair musicians. Where are the artists?

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Axl rose is one of biggest idiots. G'N'R are not good. Nirvana made rock music alive and exciting again. They were the first to bring 'punk' type music into the mainstream in such a huge way. They didn't exactley comprimise with their music either, In utero is the biggets example of this as a follow up the Nevermind which was such a poppy record.

Even if you do not like the music you cannot say that what they did wasn't special. Kurt had a hard life and wasn't the right person to be the famous guy in the world, thats a hard thing to deal with especially if you are a messed up junkie....poor sod.

Nirvana wil be rememebered forever because so many people loved what they did. Kurts voice is amazing for me, I think it is one of the most soulful voices. You don't have to have a great voice for it to be soulfull and well liked, look at Bob dillon.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by JediMaster
"Life sucks, I hate society, USA sucks, people suck, I suck I'm anti this and that"

That sounds EXACTLY like a friend of mine. All she does is listen to Nirvana, SoAD, and the likes.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Gripe number 1.) To me Grunge was always more of a fashion(or lack of) thing. Not a style or type of music.

2.) You say Tomatoe, I say Tamotoe....Nirvana came out(for me as well as others) right when I needed them to come out. The Glame thing was on it's downward spiral and this was just stripped down, angry music.. Nirvana as well as other bands/musicians got me through to times. How anyone can say the lyrics are bad is beyond me..They some of the most personal words ever recorded. Your opnion is welcome and I am glad you like what you like. But Kurt as well as Nirvana deserve all the respect they usually get. When bands like Kiss(blatant jab at your Avatar) are in it stiricktly to make a buck or bands that change their tune half was through their careers(Larrs) and forget what it is all about, this makes me mad..... Some bads are just timeless, whether you agree or not. Nirvana is one of them.. Believe it or not a lot of great bands came out of the earily 90's. Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Mark Lanagen. All these bands have/had great lyrics and great music to back it up. I really get tired of people bashing music from my youth. Compared to stuff today....with crap like Kid Rock, Chingy, Corporate band #1, and Corporate band #69, my gens music is the best thing since sliced bread. Did I forget to mention Pearl Jam? Mother Love Bone? Good stuff is there you just have to look. Music isn't just about having fun. To me it has always been there when no one else was, to get me through the day, to get out pent up aggression, to cry to, to help me figure things out. Listening to the right music at the right time can do amazing things. Nirvana just happened to be the band for a lot of people at the time could relate to.

Need coffee, most likely why I'm so bitchy.....Axle is like Waldo...where is he?

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I liked Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains et al because it was like regular guy, garage rock again. Personally, I think there was more hype to Nirvana than they earned, but the genre was pretty good. Anti-Hair Band. I was watching MTV one night and they compared Nirvana to Jimi Hendrix. I wanted to throw the tv through the _ *L*

They weren't giants musically, but lyrically I thought they were very good. I like Foo Fighters better than I ever did Nirvana anyway. And I loved GnR. But only Appetite for Destruction and Lies. Nothing else they did really turned me on at all. But they were good and crunchy.

Video really did kill the radio star. I believe people like Madonna and Britney wouldn't have careers if not for the visual aspect.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 11:34 AM
link   
The fact is these modern bands can never replace great rock bands like the Eagles,Van Halen, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Queen, The Doors, Deep Purple etc.

Grunge was the combination of punk and heavy metal. The only thing metal was how loud and hard they were, the rest was punk, the looks. lyrics, style. Oh and those flannel shirts.

Hey Axl had a hard life, he was abused sexually by his step father but people are not buying his records for sympathy like they did for Nirvana. Axl did not try and profitc over his crappy childhood and how he did'nt like society. He put out great songs, Slash got out great riffs, etc. They made a success off of talent not trying to get people to feel sorry for them.

[Edited on 8-19-2004 by JediMaster]

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
When was the last time you heard a new rock song you would classify as art?

We have singers.

We have song writers.

We have fair musicians.

Where are the artists?

Hey the question game!

Heres my turn

What are you talking about!?

<<   2 >>

join