It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maddest/most dangerous bladed weapon ever?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I came across this weapon in a novel a while back,and checked the internet to see if it was real,as I thought it was made up.
Its real.

The "Urumi" is a type of coiled sword,with up to 3 or 4 blades,all coiled up like a clock spring,with a handle at one end.
To use it you flick your arm/wrist which makes the blades uncoil fast to strike an opponent.It originated in Southern India.
Blades when uncoiled reach up to 5.5 feet in length.
It can be worn around the waist as a belt when not in use,ready to be whipped into action.at a moments notice.

Here it is in action:

The urumi is still used in Kerala's Martial Arts, particularly Kalaripayattu. It is always the last weapon taught because of the danger it poses to the wielder.

The sword is a flexible band of steel three-quarters to one inch in width, and long enough to reach from the fingertip of one hand to the finger tip of the other hand when the hands are held outstretched (usually about four or five and a half feet).
It has a small handle with a cover. Often there are multiple belts on a single handle, which makes it more dangerous to the opponents and wielders alike. In modern times it is often made from used band-saw blades and packing bands

en.wikipedia.org...

What a crazy weapon...Anyone who has tried out nun chuckkas without training knows how easy it is to bash yourself up with them-But this coiled sword is insane IMO...
Like my Grandmother used to say:
"Your gonna have someones eye out with that thing!"
Or your own most likely.

So what do you reckon-could this be a contender for most dangerous hand held weapon martial arts weapon?
I would have a go at most martial arts weapons,but this I think I would leave well alone.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
There is a reason you don't see that weapon mass produced or used by any army on a massive scale.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
That is a thing derived of nightmares; I cannot fathom the man who originally designed it was right in the head. Cat'o nine tails meets sword.

I'm going to do some more research on this when I get home; it fascinates me in that "I hope I never see one" sort of way.
edit on 8/15/2011 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
A simple longsword would pose more danger, the metal being able to twist means its weak and 5.5 feet long isnt huge, a longsword is both stronger and can be used at a greater distance. The only way that would be more dangerous is if it was used by suprise.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
It's like flying razor blades! Look's kinda' like a post apocalyptic weapon.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by BigBruddah

I'd like to see you say that when your face is being sliced in half ! in 4 seperate places

Seriously though, Its like cheese wire meets sword x4, dangerous stuff

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I'm not sure how dangerous this weapon is but a samurai sword can cut through 3 to 5 bodies in one slice. They tested this on dead corpses and if it didn't go through a certain number of bodies the sword was discarded.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigBruddah
A simple longsword would pose more danger, the metal being able to twist means its weak and 5.5 feet long isnt huge, a longsword is both stronger and can be used at a greater distance. The only way that would be more dangerous is if it was used by suprise.

True-But this coiled sword can be used around corners of buildings,unlike a conventional sword.

Originally posted by filosophia
I'm not sure how dangerous this weapon is but a samurai sword can cut through 3 to 5 bodies in one slice. They tested this on dead corpses and if it didn't go through a certain number of bodies the sword was discarded.

I doubt the Urumi would have the power to chop through whole bodies,but imagine getting a good whip or two from one of these...it would mess up your whole day.
Did I mention some of the blades are serrated as well?

Just nasty isn't it-Please no one go and make one BTW-I don't want anyone getting injured.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Found some more vids...This first guy is nuts-if he miss timed those moves he would get tangled up good and proper.
I can just imagine his Mum/Wife cringing in the crowd...

Not sure about this one-It looks like it could be a flat rope the way it moves,and we don't see it coiled up:

Watching these vids,I am thinking it would be horrid to get one of these round a limb,then have the sword ripped back.
Gruesome weapon,thankfully most folks with brain cells would rather not play with such a thing.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Swinging weapons historically have failed on the battlefield. People with sword and shield or axes will simply block and rush in rendering the effectiveness of the blade useless. It might strike a few people but you can't stand toe to toe with someone and win.

Swords can also interrupt the swing kind of like putting a stick in the wheel of a moving bike. I give the more deadly weapon award to the longsword also.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

That sounds logical-although I would not like to face a group of people with these things in a street fight.

Looks like this Urumi is only used in a ceremonial role nowadays,with only a few still using the weapon to train with.

Anyone think of any other similar crazy hand held weapons?
(No guns!)
hehe.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

The Ninja used a bladed weapon that looked like a hat. They would throw it over someone's head than pull the cord and the blades all around the hat would close in decapitating someone.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Uuurrgugh,that's horrid.
Clever though.
Was it the Ninja who also had a kind of sweeping broom thing with a hidden poison spike?
Shady blighters those Ninjas.
Stealthy assassins.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Pretty cool how they can be compacted then flicked out.

They'd make a good assassin weapon perhaps. Then again, definitely wouldn't be a clean death...

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Imagine a bunch of guys trying to go toe to toe with the Spartans and their shields using this swinging weapon. I don't imagine they would last very long and probably would do no damage.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

True,a decent shield would be enough to stop the Urumi in its tracks in a pitched battle.
Like you said,there is a reason this type of weapon fell out of favor.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Try the way of the warrior on yutoob its in the kalaripit episode.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   

edit on 15-8-2011 by eyespying because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

FLYING GUILLOTINE FOR THE WIN! =P
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
This is a similar idea but better. Plus the model is better.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join