It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snow in South Africa.....AGAIN!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Trust a Saffer to build a snowman with a Hat, Tie and Cigar!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3d6bef11a02f.jpg[/atsimg]
(Credit: Debra Wilson)

Well at least they making the most of it

(ETA - Oops, I forgot the sunglasses!
)
edit on 15-8-2011 by TortoiseKweek because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by TortoiseKweek

lol im liking this pic think ill yoke it ...

weathers nice in cape town tho .

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by qonone

I hope you don't get any snow in Midrand now. Can you imagine what chaos it would be like on the N1 highway in peak traffic and snow?
The N1 between Johannesburg and Pretoria is hell in normal weather. If you get any pics, please post

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

Hey Alysha! Glad to hear you're having nicer weather down there!

I'm expecting to get a few more photos e-mailed to me later today, and will post when I get them.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

To be honest, i am gonna stay in till about 7pm before i even think of getting on the road. I will definitely take pictures if i get to see snow like they had in the southern part of JHB. I know the snow fell over the Southgate/Meredale area, and i am heading to the Mulbarton area later on.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by qonone

Well then you should see something. Here are 3 pics emailed from Linmeyer where I lived (close to the Glen shopping center)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/59eada74b71b.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/433ebc9855bc.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b1e7dc82dae4.jpg[/atsimg]

If I was in Midrand now, I'd go get a burger at the BJ's on that bridge overlooking the N1 and enjoy the chaos ensuing below me!
You from the South?

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Such a small world! I drive past The Glen few times a week, my kids live in lower Glenvista and live & work in Olifantsfontein, about 5km from what used to be the BJ's overlooking the highway! It's a Maxi's now, sadly
But, when i stop there again to grab a bite, i'll eat a burger for you

*Thank you for the pics. Miss the south, big time!

Here is a picture that was taken on the R21, between PTA and Oliver Tambo earlier this morning

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/614795c44baa.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 8/15/2011 by qonone because: added thank you

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by qonone

Yowzers, that's a pretty wicked photo!
GP number plates now stand for "Gone Plowing!"
Yeah it is a small world, born and bred in the South.

Just got a message from a friend in SA as I was typing this.....somebody banged into the back of her car now. It's going to be chaos on the roads tonight.

ETA - Just sent you a U2U

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Exactly why i am waiting till later before i get on the road. I am all alone now, everyone left hoping to catch a decent look at the snow. I am betting i will get there 10 minutes after they do.

I myself grew up in the South. Only moved out this way earlier this year, and both times it didn't snow by me!
Luckily i am on the road most of the time.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
What season is it?

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by sabbathcrazy

It's winter there now, but this kind of weather is completely out of the norm. South Africa has a dry winter and is usually dominated with High Pressure Systems.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Thanks for posting this up, here's a site I'm sure many would be interested in. www.iceagenow.com...

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Australiana

Sorry to be ignorant but does it hardly ever snow up there or never ever snow up there? Is it like herw in Adelaide where it never snows at all? If that is the case... that is so strange. What are the local scientists saying as to what is causing this?

edit on 15/8/11 by Australiana because: (no reason given)

In Johannesburg it normally snows like once in 20 years. (I was a baby when it snowed in 1965, then it snowed again in 1982 and then again in 2006, and now again. In the mountainous areas snow is a bit more common

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by TortoiseKweek
reply to post by qonone

Yowzers, that's a pretty wicked photo!
GP number plates now stand for "Gone Plowing!"
Yeah it is a small world, born and bred in the South.

Just got a message from a friend in SA as I was typing this.....somebody banged into the back of her car now. It's going to be chaos on the roads tonight.

ETA - Just sent you a U2U

I think you guys need to go on ice-driving courses and start having studded winter tyres (like over here) from now on

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellhound604

Yip, pretty much so. Your dates are a bit off though - Sept 81 and then June 07

www.voanews.com...

Never the less, this has been a very strange year in SA when it comes to snow. Saw it once as a kid, and the next 2 times it occurs in a 4 year period (in JHB) and I'm not even there to see it!

Regarding the driving, courses would be great.....but you'll only get to make use of that knowledge on a handful of occasions.
Well, that's unless this continues

edit on 15-8-2011 by TortoiseKweek because: spelling

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by TortoiseKweek

Yip, pretty much so. Your dates are a bit off though - Sept 81 and then June 07

www.voanews.com...

Never the less, this has been a very strange year in SA when it comes to snow. Saw it once as a kid, and the next 2 times it occurs in a 4 year period (in JHB) and I'm not even there to see it!

Regarding the driving, courses would be great.....but you'll only get to make use of that knowledge on a handful of occasions.
Well, that's unless this continues

edit on 15-8-2011 by TortoiseKweek because: spelling

thanks for the correction, I worked simply from my memory, and I guess my memory is not as good as what it once was, lol

edit on 15/8/2011 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

You're were pretty damn close working off memory. I had a friend in SA e-mail me saying that the last snowfall was in 1986! Now that is waaaaay off base!

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
That is what happens when you have a grand solar minimum.

I bet the mainstream media will blame it on global warming/climate change/climate disruption/climate challenges or whatever the heck they call it today.
edit on 15-8-2011 by juleol because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Just this past January we had snow TWICE in Los Angeles. Elevations under 600 feet didn't get much but some hail and cold weather, but as many of you probably know, there's a good portion of LA County that is above 600 feet, and those places saw what I could only compare to a New England style flurry. Weather has been absolutely haywire these last couple years, nothing makes sense, and things that don't normally happen are happening.

Have we entered the next mini ice age? I'm sure many believe so...

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Australiana

You don't need to be a scientist, to understand, that this is climate change. Ever since the dawn of the industrial revolution, we man kind we have contributed to this climate change. History repeats it's self, always it does. The snow that yous are getting in South Africa, mostly likely happened before, but was never recorded.

Also some outside influences, such as Elenin, Comet YU55, the sun, and so forth, may play a factor. Take into consideration, a little ball of dust on your floor, then you bring a broom closer to the ball, it has an affect doesn't it. In the grand scheme of it all, we are a mere speck in the universe.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join