It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Time In NYC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   
I'm planning a trip to New York City in January. I've never been, and was wondering what are some interesting places to check out. Places to eat, drink, and just have some fun. Places that the average tourist knows nothing about. I'm not a camera around my neck kind of guy.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   
The card stand.
Don't forget the fishing hook and fishing line.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
the city has a million things to do but they depend on your desires and your budget.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
The best part of our trip to New York was the Rainbow Room, right at the top of the Rockefeller Centre... Maybe a bit pretentious but definitely NOT touristy...

We had an amazing afternoon/evening downing cocktails and watching Manhattan and the Empire State Building light up gradually in front of us.... The service was outstanding and extremely friendly... I recommend it to everyone i know going to NY....

Take plenty of $'s though...

Enjoy your trip!

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by paradisepurple

The Rainbow room is a mix of tourists and locals but, mostly, it's a tourist restaurant. The food is good, the views are incredible but there's far better dining in the city.

If you can wrangle tickets, go see The Book of Mormon while in town. It is, hands down, the funniest show I've ever seen.

I usually send first timers to the top of the Empire State Building. It's a tourist spot for sure but you can see the World Trade Center from there and it's the best way to get a real understanding as to just how big those two buildings were. It's changed, obviously, now that they are building again but you can still get a good feel for the the footprint those two buildings filled up.

If you're into art, the MOMA and the Met are incredible. The Guggenheim is worth visiting for the architecture alone but there's usually a good exhibit inside as well.

Restaurats are everywhere but budget and taste are somewhat required for any suggestions.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

Just checked and the Rainbow Room appears to be currently closed and ''a new operator has not yet been named''... Sorry OP! Hopefully someone with enough money will continue this wonderful place...

We didn't think it was touristy at all! Mr. Trump was there and if it's good enough for him (creep though he is) then it's good enough for us :-)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by paradisepurple

I didn't mean to knock the restaurant, or the suggestion. It is (was?) a very nice restaurant. Expensive though. But, it's in a very touristy location and it has (had?) a reputation for being a fancy NYC restaurant. Like Tavern on the Green (R.I.P.). It was good but it was, mostly, running on tourism. Rainbow Room did have the luxury of being in very upscale office building, with a bunch of television studios in it so celeb sightings were not uncommon (thus the trump thing).

There are restaurants like Rainbow Room all around the city. Le Cirque, located in the Bloomberg building, is another one. Very expensive, used by business folk trying to impress a client or tourists with big wallets.

For the serious foodie, there are tons of better places that won't always leave you penniless.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I appreciate the tips, everyone. The main reason I am going is to visit the metropolitan museum of art. Although I'd love to see more of the city. I need a break from life, and New York just feels like the way to go.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jaymp

Go to the East Village. Alphabet city (Ave's ABCD) but don't go to "D".
Make sure to check out a great historical bar "The Ear" below off canal st.
Mcsorley off 4th?
Enjoy. Best city in the world.

CJ
edit on 15-8-2011 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

nothing finer than a McSorley's hangover. There's formaldehyde in that ale.

Alphabet City is hip and trendy these days. Decent restaurants there.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

Ha! And nothing like some cheese crackers onion and mustard to wash it down. What about some of those awesome "speakeasy's" in the village...there was a great one I can't remember the name...totally hidden walk down some stairs and there it is.

I lived on 4th and A in the late 90's - it was just beginning gentrification then.

CJ

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

I haven't been to McSorley's in at least 20 years. I'm too old for that scene.

My nights out are spent at restaurants or places where live music can be scene and heard.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
If your first time to NYC, you probably SHOULD see the touristy spots... I mean, why not? The Met, The Museum of Natural History, Central Park, The Empire State Building, Rockefeller Center (sp? much smaller than you'd think), the Subway, of course (and it's the best way to get around), and of course Times Square (at night) simply shouldn't be missed. If I recall, the FAO Schwartz toy store is right there too (from the movie Big, for example). Interesting to see.

If you really want an adventure though...take a bike taxi...nothing like your life flashing before your eyes every few seconds.... Probably still one of the scariest things I've ever done. Doesn't sound like it, but in Manhattan? Just try it, THEN you can tell me you didn't fear for your life.

Sadly, my wife and I weren't there long enough to enjoy the restaurants...we were just too busy trying to see as much as we could in a day, but I'm sure we'll go back again some day soon.
edit on 6-9-2011 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Gaz is right about the tourist spots. FAO is actually a bit uptown from Times Square, located on the south east corner of Central Park (by the massive Apple store) and it's absolutely worth a visit.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

Yep, right off 5th Ave it is...also, I remebered my speakeasy - Chumley's!

The space is about 175 years old, but Chumley’s is best known for its glory days as a speakeasy during Prohibition. Nowadays cops aren't trying to shut the place down, but it still retains an element of drama: There’s no sign outside, you have to walk through a curtain to enter, photos of famous writers of the past adorn the walls, and the "secret back exit" that patrons would run through when the coppers used to bust the joint, is still there. Simply put, Chumley’s layout is “really cool.” Multileveled (four different levels to be exact) with booths in the middle, and more booths hidden in the back, you can eat center-stage (portobello burger, $9.50; roast duck, $17); mill about in the bar area’s open space and sample the impressive beer selection ($6 pints); or cozy up in a back booth for some romantic time. Better go on a weekday for the latter, though.

Also, as mentioned above, The Ear is great on all levels.

NYC 5 Most Famous Historical Bars

CJ

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

Also, who can forget the Circle Line tour? Great views of the island!

CJ

new topics

top topics

join