It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eddy Currents - Cool Magnet Trick

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Nothing new, just ran across some vids of this. I'm no science buff, but thought I'd share, as it's pretty cool nonetheless. Seems like you could do some tweaking to get some interesting results.

Maybe some of you have played with this concept?

Eddy currents (also called Foucault currents[1]) are currents induced in conductors, when a conductor is exposed to a changing magnetic field due to relative motion of the field source and conductor; or due to variations of the field with time. This can cause a circulating flow of electrons, or a current, within the body of the conductor. These circulating eddies of current have inductance and thus induce magnetic fields. These fields can cause repulsive, attractive,[2] propulsion and drag effects. The stronger the applied magnetic field, or the greater the electrical conductivity of the conductor, or the faster the field changes, then the greater the currents that are developed and the greater the fields produced. en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   
It is very cool. Especially that the effect is produced by a non-magnetic material.

But it is one of the things that hucksters use when talking about the "relationship" between magnetism and gravity. It's misrepresented as proof that they have invented antigravity.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
yay for eddy currents !

there are so many fun possiblities for this with crazy tube mazes games controlled by neurons in the brain lol

oh yes the potential!

last video made me mad with that slide show non sense ! i wan't to see it fall through that long tube ! some matrix slow mo

i will make a body suit out of this just you watch ! and fall through my own custom tubes lol!

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Yeah eddy currents are cool, but b-fields are a little more impressive.

edit on 15-8-2011 by Elzon because: oops wrong video

Nevermind b-fields are just magnetic lines that never end.

I confuse my self sometimes

edit on 15-8-2011 by Elzon because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Especially that the effect is produced by a non-magnetic material.

There is no such thing as a "non-magnetic material". All materials are magnetic to a lesser or greater degree.

All atoms are tiny magnets.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by gift0fpr0phecy

I was referring to the commonly used terminology. Materials which display magnetic attraction.
Copper is considered "non-magnetic". Aluminum is considered "non-magnetic".

edit on 8/15/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I understand. You were using the scientifically incorrect terminology.

By the way... Copper is diamagnetic. Aluminum is paramagnetic.

There are three basic magnetic properties:

Paramagnetic - some materials, such as aluminum, are slightly attracted by a magnet.
Feromagnetic - some materials, such as iron, are strongly attracted by a magnet.
Diamagnetic - some materials, such as copper and water, are slightly repelled by a magnet.

ALL materials are effected by magnets, because ALL materials are made of tiny magnets.
edit on 15-8-2011 by gift0fpr0phecy because: (no reason given)

top topics

join