It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Being a Conspiracy Theorist.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Hey guys

My roommate and I tend to always debate about conspiracy theories. It wasn't until the other night of debate (the dreaded 9/11) that he said something profound to me. It made me think a little but still almost reinforced why I still believe in these things. He quoted someone from Bill Maher about this exact matter. In fact, here is the clip.

The quote at the end says this (if you don't feel like watching):

"All these conspiracy theories have two basic problems. One, they believe the government is competent. And, two, they believe the government can keep a secret."

Which leads me to my question(s).

Let's say that maybe it's all in our heads to a certain extent. We are such an analytical group of individuals that sometimes we see something there that really doesn't exist. We nitpick the details so much that we find something that never existed in the first place.

Let's also say that maybe there is the fact that the government wants us like minded individuals to believe that exact thing. Because they know that we can just be labeled as the "crazy ones with the tinfoil hats". Most people just want to live and don't really think they same way we do. The governments best and worse thing they have done for us is a little thing called transparency. Because the public will continue to be the sheep of their words and we'll always fight that system.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is, what do you make of that quote/question? That very question is why I try and seek the answers I do. Because not everything is as it seems. If it seems to good to be true, it probably is.
edit on 14-8-2011 by Absco because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I think your freinds' staement :
"All these conspiracy theories have two basic problems. One, they believe the government is competent. And, two, they believe the government can keep a secret." is spot on.

It doesn't take intelligence for 2 or more people to conspire against others. It takes intelligence to implement it, to act upon it, and to succeed with it.

The government doesn't have what it takes. Just look at 'em for petes sake. The billion dollar corperations on the hand do. What they have is the intelligence, the persaverance, and the ruthless lack of empathy for anyone who questions them or gets in their way. They have the government by the family jewels and they pull the strings. They have for decades now.

BTW, your link isn't up.
edit on 14-8-2011 by Taupin Desciple because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

Just fixed the link, thanks.

See, that's kind of what I've been thinking lately, or knew but I guess I was wrapped in the government mindset of it. I totally agree that there are corporations with the power to do such a thing.

But with that, would there in association be such thing as the Illuminati? Or is this trailing off topic from what you just said?

And maybe the question needs to be focused away from the government and looked into corporations and the people with that power instead.
edit on 14-8-2011 by Absco because: Had more to say.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I don't know any of those three but they are liars and misleaders.
Three letters shows them up for what they are....JFK

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Absco

The Manhattan project exemplifies the ability to have thousands of US Govt. employees keep a secret ...

The Govt. doesn't mess around and will threaten to kill you and your family if you talk.

Look at what happened to JFK,MLK RFK and even JFK Jr. when he was going to talk about who killed his Dad in his own magazine George.

As far as 911, there are numerous mysterious deaths associated with 911.

Dead Men Tell no Lies...

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
the gov't conspires everyday, from simple fraud to more complex things like iran-contra. I think the conspiracy enthusiasts lose cedibility when every single news item is seen as a conspiracy

this is a strange violent world, and sometimes bad things happen, and it's not always the jewish bankers fault, know what I mean ?

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
A lot of things happen by conspiracy yet almost "subconsiously." That is, the conspirators may not fully or consciously even realize they are part of an agenda, even as they work furiously to implement it.

For example, suppose you are a staff writer for a newspaper and you uncover some shockinhg information on wrongdoings by a certain corporation, say. You write the story and submit it, but the editor says they can't use it because it is too "controversial" and not "upbeat enough" and it "might frighten off sponsors." It turns out the comany is question is a major sponsor of the newspaper. Times being tough, you shrug and decide to put the story away in the draw to gather dust. You don't want to lose your job after all. Congratulations. In this scenario, by not revealing truth, you are part of a conspiracy...without even realizing it.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

The billion dollar corperations on the hand do. What they have is the intelligence, the persaverance, and the ruthless lack of empathy for anyone who questions them or gets in their way.

But what corperations do have is disgruntled employees. And these employees all have one thing in common. The fear of being sent to prision for life.

As to 'witnesses' dying since 2001:
Not one of them left a tape or even a note saying “If I die mysteriously I was in on it”.
Not one relative has said they talked about being “in on it”.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Absco
"All these conspiracy theories have two basic problems. One, they believe the government is competent. And, two, they believe the government can keep a secret."

See, the problem with this argument is that it assumes that government = House, Senate, President = those who perpetrate conspiracies. These people are nothing more than public relation and advertising agents.

In reality, it is military and associated "above top secret" organizations that classify information and actually execute conspiracies against citizens when necessary to the future plans of the NWO. The acronyms are all familiar: CIA, ESF, FBI, DHS, MI6, MOSSAD, etc., to say nothing of the secret societies from which their employees come. I assure you that these organizations are exceptionally competent and keep secrets with a mafia-like ruthlessness and precision.

To argue as the above argument does is nothing more than an abdication of responsibility on the part of the speaker to allow the avoidance of uncomfortable facts and conclusions. Some people just can't believe that there are evil people in the world.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by samkent

I think you're really underestimating the amount of real fear instilled into some people if they talk. They let it be known that they The last thing a person wants is to further endanger his family. And why saddle them with information that might well bring them harm? It will only be when a few people speak at once that others will come forward..

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Well, it's like I've said about others not involved in theories (people who attack some videogames for instance), if you hate something, you'll find a way to nitpick any excuse to keep attacking the logic to suit your own opinions.

Does anybody really think that something like 9/11 could be kept secret if by some miracle the official story was false?

You'd have leaks, you'd have those on the inside disgusted and wanting to come clean, plus with a change of government and leader comes a new set of policies. Would a Republican regime really be safe in the knowledge of what they allegedly did when a Democrat is voted into office?

That's why I don't venture into the 9/11 section of ATS, because none of the theories make sense, especially in light of the above paragraph. And no, please don't try to claim some sort of NWO would keep incoming Presidents quiet or something because that's another ridiculous conspiracy theory too.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Absco

This claim has a basic problem; it assumes that the truth behind conspiracy theories is kept secret. It isn't. Look up some of TupacShakur's threads on 9/11. The truth there is in plain sight.

No intelligent government would try and keep anything of sufficient magnitude truly secret. That would never work; and never does. So they have to resort to other tactics instead.

a] Offer a cover story that relies on public stupidity. The official 9/11 story is really dumb, but it's sufficiently credible on a superficial level, that the gullible and ignorant have no trouble believing it. The gullible and ignorant also represent 95%+ of the population, so you've already got the problem almost completely solved, right there.

Another way that the public can actually do your work for you, is in terms of the number of arbitrary skeptics we've seen, shouting down anyone who doesn't believe in the official story. I've been on one forum where I was actually infracted simply for making the claim that there might be another explanation for 9/11, other than the official story. Arbitrary pseudo-skeptics among the public have done most of the government's work for it.

b] Create a shell game. Make sure that the truth isn't the only account out there. In addition to your cover story and the truth, you also want probably at least another ten or so theories that you know are complete BS, but will keep the mentally ill enthralled for years, and perhaps decades. The fact that your fake theories will be designed to appeal to schizophrenics, leads to the third method.

c] Discredit those who question. We've already seen a cultural scenario develop, where anyone who willingly associates themselves with the 9/11 Truth movement, is also assumed to hear voices, use a discarded oil drum as their primary means of home heating, and live under a bridge. You've got movies like the one Mel Gibson was in, Conspiracy Theory. The character Gibson played in that film, is the way the government wants people to see conspiracy theorists; as solitary, burned out, schizophrenic lunatics who should never be listened to, and whose ideas are purely a byproduct of insanity.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   
I share my ideas to people, coincidentally i happen to stumble across believers, thought not as hardcore as i am with the truth movement, it's good to see people have an open mind.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Conspiracy theories are often unbelievable to me, except when it comes to aliens having a hand in our past. The pieces seem to fit so well together it just seems like an actual possibility.

new topics

top topics

join