It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michelle Bachmann, Kids, and Minimum Wage

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
She is against the minimum wage and not just refusing to raise it but she believes it should be abolished altogether. She even goes so far as to state that teenagers should pay employers to work instead of receiving a wage.

"Many teenagers that come in should be paying the employer because of broken dishes or whatever occurs during that period of time. But you know what? After six months, that teenager is going to be a fabulous employee and is going to go on a trajectory where he's going to be making so much money, we'll be borrowing money from him." —Michele Bachmann, 1/26/05, explaining why teenagers should pay employers for the privilege of working instead of receiving minimum wage.

"Literally, if we took away the minimum wage—if conceivably it was gone—we could potentially virtually wipe out unemployment completely because we would be able to offer jobs at whatever level." —Michele Bachmann, 1/26/05, Jobs, Energy and Community Development Committee, testifying against SF 3, a bill to raise the MN minimum wage and advocating the elimination of the minimum wage altogether..

She also believes that the more money you let a business make the more they will share with their employees.

"If we allow businesses to be prosperous and accrue capital, they’ll be giving their employees more than they can even begin to imagine. But when we continue to tie cement blocks on businesses (like the minimum wage) and constrain them, they can actually do less than their employees."—Michele Bachmann, 1/26/05, testifying against SF 3, a bill to raise the MN minimum wage and explaining why it actually keeps wages and benefits lower.

"I was wondering, if most employers are already doing this anyway, isn’t minimum wage really just superfluous? Why do we even have one?" —Michele Bachmann, 1/26/05, Jobs, Energy and Community Development Committee, testifying against SF 3, a bill to raise the MN minimum wage, and advocating the elimination of the minimum wage altogether.

Here her statement shows her basic lack of understanding economics:

"If raising the minimum wage to $7.00 an hour is a good idea, that why dont we just raise it to $20.00 an hour, that must be even better." —Michele Bachmann, 1/26/05, Jobs, Energy and Community Development Committee, testifying against SF 3, a bill to raise the MN minimum wage.

www.dumpbachmann.com...

Now this is only one subject where she has a number of totally illogical statements so I would like to ask any Michelle Bachmann supporters how you can justify this?

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   

What the hell is this lady talking about? Paying the employer? Jeez someone needs to inject her with some dam thorazine quick.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinalremain

What the hell is this lady talking about?

Her ideal version of America. This is what happens if you all vote far right.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

I just saw her on tv here in australia. What a joke this woman is!

She is against gays, totally she see any other sexual orientation than hetero as a SICKNESS, a sexual disorder!

She is a full blown, bible carrying baptist bull#ter who says she wont appoint ANYONE who does not share her views.

America please dont vote for this woman she is sooooooo narrow minded and archaic in her views.

There seems to be a blackout on even mentioning Ron Pauls name also in the news here.

The media machine is starting early this time to brainwash the sheeple.

Cant you see they are laughing at you america? First they get you to put your faith in 'Hussein' and now its 'Bachman' the first a distinctively middle eastern name and the second a distinctively german name!!!!!

TPTB are playing with you all and they have a sick sense of humour.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Her statements make sick as a Christian American. I just can't understand it at all.
Not Christlike in the slightest.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I thought about making a thread entitled, "Here's your Iowa straw poll winner:"
with some videos of all the great, intelligent things she has said, nevermind, they are just straight up crazy...I decided against it, mostly because it's just so scary that she actually won instead of Ron Paul.

This minimum wage talk is crazy beyond belief...
what's even scarier is many people actually believe Bachman and Palin are the last great hopes for this country..

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

palin is anyway.

habitual breakage will be taken out of your wages.

screw up enough and you are looking for a new job.

min wage should be fair. lots of good adult family people have to get by with that and 2 jobs.

not just for kids anymore.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

This is what happens if you all vote far right.

Not having a minimum wage is indeed "far right" however paying for the privilage to work is not "far right" at all. I am not sure it even fits into any left-right spectrum, it's simply stupidity.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
She's starting to sound like Sarah Palin! More moronic talk by incompetent politicians, same ole, same ole.

If businesses could hire people at $2.00 an hour they would!

What a novel idea, than all our greedy corporate elite will bring back manufacturing back to the states! Than our hourly rate will be competitive with China's, the poverty level will skyrocket, crime will escalate, more than half the U.S. will be on food stamps, and the average life span in the U.S. will be around 35 years old because they won't be able to afford to see a doctor.

Gee, Michelle you have my vote!

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeRpeons
She's starting to sound like Sarah Palin! More moronic talk by incompetent politicians, same ole, same ole.

If businesses could hire people at $2.00 an hour they would!

What a novel idea, than all our greedy corporate elite will bring back manufacturing back to the states! Than our hourly rate will be competitive with China's, the poverty level will skyrocket, crime will escalate, more than half the U.S. will be on food stamps, and the average life span in the U.S. will be around 35 years old because they won't be able to afford to see a doctor.

Gee, Michelle you have my vote!

I love all the points you made, very spot on.
I just have one addition...Ron Paul also wants no minimum wage. Or food stamps. People would be really screwed then.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

She's one of the stupidest people I've ever heard/read about. Can we please put her in a hole somewhere? Leave her some barbies to play with. How are we supposed to get a woman in the white house if only the really stupid ones are running for president?

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by the owlbear

I don't think Paul is against minimum wage. I think he is against a FEDERALLY MANDATED minimum wage. He wants it left up to the states, as it should be. The federal government has no right to dictate what a state's minimum wage should be.

Anyway,

This woman is a complete moron. She, like most right wingers and conservatives, have a VERY warped view on how the world works. Just like that idiot Reagan, trickle down economics DOES NOT WORK.

We have proof time and time again, that if you give corporations and big business more money, they just want MORE MONEY. It's completely ridiculous to think that the more money they make, the more they will share with their employers. It doesn't work that way. Companies don't give a crap about their employees, they want slaves that cost them as little as possible. If you get rid of minimum wage, you will have companies paying people $3 an hour.

Oh yeah, richest, most prosperous country in the world. Where the republicans and conservatives want people to be slaves that do nothing but work (for 80 hours a week, can't afford a place to live, food to eat, not to mention medical care) from productive ages of 16-35, then promptly DIE as to not be a drain on society. All while the super rich keep getting richer, and keep saying "IF YOU GIVE ME MORE MONEY IT WILL HELP OUT EVERYBODY" When we know for a fact that's NOT how it works.

Whoever came up with this economic model where allowing the rich to get richer at the cost of your average person's quality of life, in the sick twisted hope that they will pay their workers more should be shot. And anyone that believes in that crap is too mentally lacking to be of any use to the world.
edit on 14-8-2011 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by James1982
We have proof time and time again, that if you give corporations and big business more money, they just want MORE MONEY. It's completely ridiculous to think that the more money they make, the more they will share with their employers. It doesn't work that way. Companies don't give a crap about their employees, they want slaves that cost them as little as possible. If you get rid of minimum wage, you will have companies paying people $3 an hour.

Oh yeah, richest, most prosperous country in the world. Where the republicans and conservatives want people to be slaves that do nothing but work (for 80 hours a week, can't afford a place to live, food to eat, not to mention medical care) from productive ages of 16-35, then promptly DIE as to not be a drain on society. All while the super rich keep getting richer, and keep saying "IF YOU GIVE ME MORE MONEY IT WILL HELP OUT EVERYBODY" When we know for a fact that's NOT how it works.

Whoever came up with this economic model where allowing the rich to get richer at the cost of your average person's quality of life, in the sick twisted hope that they will pay their workers more should be shot. And anyone that believes in that crap is too mentally lacking to be of any use to the world.
edit on 14-8-2011 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

I agree. If she does take office and any of this comes to pass, I only see misery for anyone lower or middle class.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
So wheres the teenager gonna get the money to pay an employeer?

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
So let me get this straight:

1. Michele wants teenagers to work however many hours and not only bring home no pay but actually pay the employees for their service. Now, how exactly will that work, Michele, when the teen needs the job to earn the money!
2. Of course abolishing the minimum wage will greatly reduce the unemployment rate, no one denies that, the problem with that is we do not wish to work for $1.45 an hour then give our kids money so they can pay their employers!
3. How does eliminating the minimum wage allow for employees to be given more than they could imagine? If the minimum wage is the bottom line and it is not like a tax or mass of fees, then taking that away would in no way raise incomes.

Wow she is dumb.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I like Christian extremist right wingers, they'll believe anything!

I think America voting for her says more about society than it says about her.
She's an idiot, but she's a charismatic idiot. All she needs.

I'd like her to live under the poverty line for six months without speaking out. Like that show, "Bosses" or whatever it's called. Make here have a minimum wage job, raise a family, and live that way for six months. Are you up for the challenge? Of course you aren't. You'd be calling in favors in minutes.

Waste of air.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
How do these retards even make it this far, especially in politics and running our country. It is mind-bogglingly scary to think about. The Senate and the House... OMFG!

She won the Iowa Straw Poll, WTF!?! Iowa, you are better than that.

This lady doesn't even want the U.S. to be part of the global economy... LOL

I do not understand this Idiocracy... this Idiot-crazy

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
This lady is sickening to the core.

She actually believes, and has in so many words stated, that giving workers what they deserve is equivalent to 'constraining business'. It's as if she thinks that only business owners are worthy of making money at all! That anyone who doesn;t run a business possibly couldn;t understand the hardships of the responsibility. I'd be willing to be everything I own that she would gladly revert to slavery. She is only concerned with business profits.

Workers should have not only their rights and bargaining taken away, but let's take away their pay entirely! Let's go another step and just say # it; you pay me for allowing you to work here!
And she won the straw poll? What do they eat in Iowa? Fried Lead chips?

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
I do have to agree on a few aspects of abolishing minimum wage. I personally believe that a man or woman in The United States should be paid based on their level of skill, knowledge and expertise in any given area as well as the performance shown on any given job. It makes no logical sense to pay Bill that sits on his butt all day and complaines the same wage as Bob that busts his ass and actually helps a business compete. Now we can eliminate Bill's wage altogether by terminating his employment, but we cant lower his wage to more accurately reflect his contribution to the company. This is the part that makes absolutely no sense to me. Its almost like we are protecting the people that are too stupid to up and quit the job themselves.

You have to understand that we live in a free market and that competition is the center block of it all. If the burger place across the road is paying their employees $1 more than the other place well everyone is going to want to work for the man paying more. The other joint will eventually have to raise his wage or risk losing competent employees. Now picture that on a GLOBAL scale. Its the same as what would have happend if we didnt bail out those banks. New branches would have sprung up when those banks went under and took over the market. The problem is when you start dictating (ala dictatorship see dictate) the way a business should run or show favortism towards certain aspects of the market (obamacare), you no longer have competition and in turn you no longer have a free market.

So should there be a minimum wage in this country? Why should there be when competition and the market itself will dictate the minimum wage? Why do we need Government to tell us how to run our lives (or for that matter our business) in a free market?

For the record I do not support Bachmann (nor would I ever considering she voted for The Patriot Act).
edit on 15-8-2011 by e11888 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Bachmann to me, is fairly obviously an idiot who is simply trying to appeal to a radical Right electoral base. I don't know whether she means what she says, and I don't much care. Her statements are nonsensical either way.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join